CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

Snoring, enlarged tonsils, bruxism

Talk about all aspects of snoring. Request help from others with the same problem, tell your story, exchange tips & techniques .. in fact, anything snoring related
digital_fate

Snoring, enlarged tonsils, bruxism

Post by digital_fate » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:31 am

Like many of you, my snoring is terrible. It's now at the point where I can no longer sleep in the same bed as my partner, which breaks my heart.

I've tried sleeping on by back/side/front. I've tried chin-straps, nasal decongestants and dilators. I snore if my mouth is open or closed. I also suffer from bruxism and wear a night guard, which doesn't seem to make a difference to my snoring either. I haven't tried a mandibular advancement device.

I'm about 90% sure my snoring is created in the back of my throat. From my understanding this could be caused by my tongue, my enlarged tonsils, a combination of both, or just the general anatomy of the back of my throat.

I'm not overweight and my neck circumference is well under 16.5 inches.

At one point I thought I might have sleep apnoea. Every morning when I wake up I would be aching all over and feel like I hadn't slept well at all. However, because I wasn't falling asleep throughout the day I didn't score very highly on the Epworth Sleepiness Scale, and so my GP ruled out sleep apnoea.

As an aside, it was a cosmetic dentist who alerted me of my enlarged tonsils. His initial reaction was that they could be obstructing my airway and causing stomach acid to rise into my mouth when I sleep (I have significant signs of acid erosion on my teeth)

My GP referred me to an ENT who said my airways were clear. They weren't sure why my tonsils were enlarged and, because there could be a small chance they were cancerous, offered me the chance to have a tonsillectomy. The ENT said he had no strong opinion either way. When I asked about snoring he said that in some circumstances the tissue at the back of the throat becomes tighter and can improve snoring (if this is cause), but because the NHS doesn't treat for snoring they couldn't really offer advice on this regard, and that any surgery would be explicitly for biopsy reasons.

So, I'm booked in for a tonsillectomy at the start of May, but I have no idea if I should go through with it or not.

Any help or advice will be gladly received.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Re: Snoring, enlarged tonsils, bruxism

Post by Sleep2Snore » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:41 pm

It may be worth downloading sleep clock and recording yourself snoring.
If you appear to stop breathing then ask for a sleep study at your doctors.
Doctors think people that suffer from sleep apnoea are fat.
Not always the case. It might not be, but you have to rule it out.
Why get your tonsils out just because they think it might help, it might make little or no difference.
Have a work with your doctor again.

http://www.ralphsapps.com/snoreclock
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Snoring Insomniac
Private Snorer

Post by Snoring Insomniac » Wed May 04, 2016 9:53 pm

I had my Tonsils & Uvula out in 2011 (Laser). It completely stopped my snoring for about 2 years.

I'm back snoring as bad as ever now though. Went back to the same ENT surgeon, who says I have a deviated septum. No idea why they didn't do that at the same time. I'd love to get it done, but being self employed, the time off is a pain.

I would definitely recommend having it done.

Snoring Insomniac
Private Snorer

Post by Snoring Insomniac » Thu May 05, 2016 10:50 am

I had my Tonsils & Uvula out in 2011 & am very pleased with the result.