CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

I've tried them all...

Talk about all aspects of snoring. Request help from others with the same problem, tell your story, exchange tips & techniques .. in fact, anything snoring related
Bebbspoke
Private Snorer

I've tried them all...

Post by Bebbspoke » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:26 am

Hi All - my experiences with snoring and apnoea prevention: -

1/ Surgery; - a/ Ulula reduction & b/ widening of nasal septum. Both were very expensive, sufficiently painful so as to cause discomfort for a week or so.

Both procured noise reduction but neither were really successful nor are genuinely permanent solution - Mother nature knows what shape such parts of your anatomy were destined to be and will, over time regrow them. Similar to laser surgery of the cornea to correct vision - over time the body will return itself to its original blue-print.

2/ Soft palette Implants. Again expensive and discomforting for a couple of weeks. Served only to modify the pitch and timbre of the snore.

3/ Mandibular Advancement Devices; - heaven knows how much I've spent on various styles of these including professional fitments, "universal" fit and mould to fit... NONE could be described as "comfortable" or very effective. All were obtrusive. Many caused discomfort both overnight and the following day. Most also prevented or restricted conversation... and all had ridiculous cleaning and care regimes some including expensive cleaning products. One occasionally might get a good night's sleep with minimal noise disturbance for one's partner but assuredly when such occurs - you wake up with aching jaws and a mouth which feels like you've eaten an ashtray.

4/ CPAP - I was supplied with one of these via the NHS. Grossly uncomfortable and restricting instrument of torture. At times the noise generated by the apparatus was as disquieting to my partner as was the snoring it was allegedly attempting to reduce. It is about five years since I used a CPAP... I do not know whether there has since been improvement to the technology.

5/ Sprays / Nasal strips / herbal remedies... ******* - do NOT waste your money.

6/ Chin straps, "alignment" pillows or physical body restrictive devices... again overpriced instruments of torture. Do NOT waste your money.

7/ Tongue Stabilization Devices; - to my knowledge there are only two TSD available - the GMSS and the Aveo TSD. I have only tried the GMSS.
The GMSS would appear to be less obtrusive than the Aveo, and depending on source, may also be cheaper.
I am reasonably pleased with this: -
a/ by far the most EFFECTIVE device experience.
b/ the most comfortable and unobtrusive device - it took just a few days to become accustomed to it's use.
c/ It may be inserted or removed in a couple of seconds.
d/ easy to clean under running cold tap water.
e/ I (and partner) get a good night's sleep; - when I awaken I am only aware on the occasions that I did NOT sleep with the device...

f/ My only reason against the GMSS is that for what is; - ONLY a few grams of medical grade silicone rubber of non complex 3D planar shape - the cost of the device is offensively EXTORTIONATE!!!

Cheers,
Bebbspoke

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Re: I've tried them all...

Post by Sleep2Snore » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:43 am

7/ Tongue Stabilization Devices; - to my knowledge there are only two TSD available - the GMSS and the Aveo TSD. I have only tried the GMSS.
The GMSS would appear to be less obtrusive than the Aveo, and depending on source, may also be cheaper.
I am reasonably pleased with this: -
a/ by far the most EFFECTIVE device experience.
b/ the most comfortable and unobtrusive device - it took just a few days to become accustomed to it's use.
c/ It may be inserted or removed in a couple of seconds.
d/ easy to clean under running cold tap water.
e/ I (and partner) get a good night's sleep; - when I awaken I am only aware on the occasions that I did NOT sleep with the device...

f/ My only reason against the GMSS is that for what is; - ONLY a few grams of medical grade silicone rubber of non complex 3D planar shape - the cost of the device is offensively EXTORTIONATE!!!
I agree, the price is just not justified!
I have never used one so I can't say if they work or not, but good luck with them. :)
These things should cost around at most £20 - £30 and should be in every chemist.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:00 pm

Have you tried going Dairy Free?

It cured my snoring pretty much straight away.
All the best
Chris

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:39 am

Hi Chris, I did try that out of curiosity but it did nothing for me, but trying to have nothing with dairy in it is not as easy as you would think.
S2S - Sleep2Snore