CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

Constantly blocked sinuses and OSA

Talk about all aspects of snoring. Request help from others with the same problem, tell your story, exchange tips & techniques .. in fact, anything snoring related
thatadamwalker
Private Snorer

Constantly blocked sinuses and OSA

Post by thatadamwalker » Wed May 09, 2018 12:49 pm

Hi all,

I have mild to moderate OSA and I'm pretty certain the contributing factors to this are the fact that I have a narrow pallet, an underbite and a large tongue, I do also have constantly blocked sinuses, I've always had this, I have a deviated septum which might be a factor but unless I dose up on decongestants I can barely breathe through my nose.

I do notice that if my airways are particularly clear I sleep well and don't seem to suffer.

Can anyone else relate to this or suggest anything else I could try that might help me breathe through my nose more easily?

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Re: Constantly blocked sinuses and OSA

Post by Sleep2Snore » Fri May 11, 2018 1:24 pm

SO if you have mild OSA they will not have given you a machine then?

Pity as I always had problem with my nose blocking up as soon as I went to sleep.
Then I got Nasal Pillows and although it blocked up as soon as I lay down, but as soon as the machine started it cleared. Not that this might happen with you, but it helped me at night when sleeping.

As far as the undercut jaw is concerned you can get a MAD device to correct (or help) but a lot of people say it is quite painful to start with. I don't know if you can get then on the NHS but they have to be fitted by a dentist. You also need good teeth. I know they are expensive but may help if you persist with the MAD device for the OSA.

Big tongue; There is a reduction you can get but it is not very pleasant and I think it is not on the NHS. I believe they put needles into your tongue and hit them with heat and radio to reduce it. However, all I have read about it so far has not been very successful. I am not sure what it all involves, but by what I have read it is not very nice and at the end of it, it is not all that good.

If they have not given you a machine I would ask them for a prescription so as you can get a machine of your own. Some clinics will look after it for you, others will not. You would need to ask as a mask, filters hoses all have a cost and masks can be very expensive to buy on your own.
If you do go for this get an APAP (automatic) machine. If you ask the clinic you may have to go for what they use, i.e. Philips Resperonics or ResMed and go for one that is data compatible.

Sorry I can't be of more help with your constantly blocked sinuses.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

thatadamwalker
Private Snorer

Post by thatadamwalker » Fri May 11, 2018 4:29 pm

Thanks very much for the reply!

I haven't been refused a CPAP or APAP machine. I've used one when I was previously diagnosed with mild/moderate OSA in 2013, I gave up on that when things improved. They improved after I hit the gym and lost about 25kg. Weirdly I'm at the same weight still but I have aged 5 years and our bodies do change over time.

I didn't have a great experience with using the machine it so I'm keep to try alternatives first, I've not heard of nasal pillows so that's another thing I'll look at. I've seen "nasal vents" too so I'll give those a try. The reason I'm looking at these solutions now is that I've just started showing all the symptoms of OSA again this past few weeks.

My top set of teeth look like "a graveyard after an earthquake" (my words lol) but I'm not assuming I can/can't get something to suit and just seeing if I can get a MAD sorted I'm taking things one step at a time with that, I think I'll pass on the tongue shrinking thing too unless it had to be a last resort.

Getting my teeth straight would be more costly than I could afford so if I do end up back on CPAP then so be it and I think this time around I'll be in a much better headspace to habituate to it as it dragged me down last time so I'm determined to meet it positively and head on and will be hitting the gym again :)

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Mon May 14, 2018 10:08 pm

Loosing weight does help with a lot of people but not all.
CPAP is the best option and with a bit of help you can get good results.
Sometimes the Sleep Clinics do not see now users enough to get them sorted.
If you do land back on CPAP you can tweak your settings to get the best out of it, especially if it is an APAP.
The main problem is a mask, Nasal Pillows is just one option.
I think by your description of your teeth (which made me laugh) a MAD might be out of the question.
However, you do get biol and bite ones that might help a bit, but these are not meant to be a permanent solution. Only a temporary one or to help when using cpap masks.

Good luck with what you decide.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

thatadamwalker
Private Snorer

Post by thatadamwalker » Tue May 15, 2018 9:51 am

Thanks,

I'm keeping CPAP in mind as an eventuality but I'd rather avoid it thanks, I understand many will advocate it though and I understand it's uses and benefits well.

There's been a couple of changes in the past week and a bit of a breakthrough I'm pleased to say.

I think my recent bout of OSA has been caused by a severe allergic reaction.

I have dust mite allergies, hayfever and a few others to boot. Over the past 2 years I've gained a small menagerie of amazing pets (2 cats and a dog) and whereas I've lived with one cat before and never had any allergic reactions I think I have been with the current brood and haven't been fully conscious to it apart from having a lot of rhinitis and generaly blocked sinuses.

I've also had really bad acid reflux for years so a change of meds for both seems to have brought me a lot of relief (SO FAR!!) so as my GP has said it sounds like multiple factors including stress (as it started after returning to full time work after a break) have all played their part and I'm breathing and sleeping much more easily now.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Wed May 16, 2018 9:28 pm

Well good luck, stress has a lot to do with everything these days, less pay, more work and more to do if you complete what you were given!
I had acid reflux almost since I left school, then one day by chance a school chemist (I was working there doing repairs) and I had a bad attack one day when he passed me. I was holding my chest and he thought I was having a heart attack. I explained I was having a bad day of acid reflux. He asked what I took for it and when i told him I had been to the doctor and had got stuff for it, he asked what it was and said all those type of things turn acid to alkaline and can make things worse than acid. He told me that over the counter stuff was the worst I could take for it. He told me to go to the doctor again and ask for a certain product, I did and it helped a lot, but you had to take it every day and it was not very pleasant. Then I got a product called Pepcid AC and this worked for a long time.
I then couldn't get the prescribed product which went under another name. I saw another doctor who gave me Omeprizol and I have not had a day of acid reflux since. As far as I know it comes in 10 and 20mg tablets. The other half is one it as well and has had no problems since either, that is when she remembers to take it in the morning. :lol:
S2S - Sleep2Snore