CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

Has anyone tried the Somnowell device?

Discuss your experiences with the various products that may or may not help you to stop snoring
Fin
Private Snorer

Has anyone tried the Somnowell device?

Post by Fin » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:55 am

I am a dentist who has made a few antisnore device. I am looking into different snore devices. I have a few success stories with silensor device but I think the plastic design is a bit prone to fracture. The Somnowell is similar but made out of metal. Is there any users out there with success or failure stories?
Fin

Re: Has anyone tried the Somnowell device?

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:17 pm

I have one, and it does work. I've only had it for about 6 months. The dentist who fitted it says that they do last well. However, I don't find it terribly comfy - it just seems to grip my teeth so tightly. I use it when we are away but at home I prefer to sleep in a separate room so I don't have to use it. Before that I used a bulkier device that also made me dribble and I couldn't talk or drink. It's great to not have any of those disadvantages, but after using it for several nights I do get fed up with the feeling of having my teeth gripped tight.

Fin
Private Snorer

Post by Fin » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:28 am

Thanks for that. That is really helpful. Do you remember how much you paid for it as I am aware they are quite expensive and would you buy it again knowing what you know now? Do you remember the make of the other more bulkier one?
Fin

Haanday
Private Snorer

Post by Haanday » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:54 am

Guest wrote:I have one, and it does work. I've only had it for about 6 months. The dentist who fitted it says that they do last well. However, I don't find it terribly comfy - it just seems to grip my teeth so tightly. I use it when we are away but at home I prefer to sleep in a separate room so I don't have to use it. Before that I used a bulkier device that also made me dribble and I couldn't talk or drink. It's great to not have any of those disadvantages, but after using it for several nights I do get fed up with the feeling of having my teeth gripped tight.
Is it really horrible to use. Then there must be some other way as well.

Post by Guest » Thu May 07, 2015 9:04 am

To add more detail to my previous post, the previous device was the SomnoGuard SP Soft. The Somnowell cost £1400. I have also noticed recently that my top teeth are getting sensitive to hot drinks and food. I don't know if this is due to the Somnowell but it's quite unpleasant. I suppose basically you are using force on your teeth to move your jaw and that must cause the sensitivity. The Somnowell is not adjustable but you can adjust the SomnoGuard so it moves the jaw by the minimum distance needed to be effective.

thorpy63

Post by thorpy63 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:49 am

Cannot speak for anyone else but had my Somnowell for a few weeks now and it's the best 1350 pounds I've ever spent,my snoring was premier league standard,I could be heard through closed double glazed windows across the street,after 3 adjustments and side sleeping only my snoring is practically nil,no problems with wearing the device no tooth pain, but a slight ache to the jaw,which does not bother me and will dissappear in time no doubt,I have tried countless products.and wasted time and money,my wife is able to sleep also now

Post by guest » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:42 pm

I had a Somnowell device for nearly a year. It worked fine for the first few months, then something changed. It had to go back to the lab for adjustment or rebuild, I am not sure which. Fine again for a while, but then it was evident that my teeth were moving and a couple rotated, so I stopped wearing it. They designed mine without a labial restraint on the front lower teeth. This was why my teeth moved...there was too much stress on certain teeth. My poorly designed appliance also changed my bite, and my jaw alignment. It is a shame, because the Somnowell did improve my snoring and sleep apnea. Now I am back to snoring, scary episodes of sleep apnea, and I am stuck with crooked crowded teeth, because it costs so much to have them straightened. Also, please consider carefully purchasing the Somnowell if you are a mouth breather, because there is nothing to stop your mouth dropping open, leaving you with an uncomfortably dry mouth, thus waking you up through the night. Unfortunately the Somnowell was an expensive mistake for me!

Dvo

Post by Dvo » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:27 pm

When I got mine I had to sign a disclaimer to say that permenant tooth and jaw movement was expected (not in any of the marketing material) this should have been a red flag but I continued. I found it extremely uncomfortable at night, and spent too long using the occlusion trainer in the morning. It caused my jaw to move in such a way that my front Teeth were catching against each other during the day, I felt this catching world eventually lead to broken teeth, forget tooth movement, I wouldn't be surprised if long term use would result in tooth loss. I showed the device to my parents who said it looked like a torture device which isn't far off how it felt!

Post by guest » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:45 am

In response to 'dvo', and further to my earlier post above 'dvo'; I think you may be correct in your comment about eventual tooth loss if using the Somnowell. An independent dentist gave me an opinion on my displaced and rotated teeth (caused by wearing the Somnowell - see my other post); she said that when teeth rotate due to stress being applied, long term the roots can be damaged, leading to tooth loss. I just hope that I stopped wearing the Somnowell in time.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:38 am

That would make some sense as there has to be a strain on your teeth.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Post by Guest » Tue May 31, 2016 10:51 am

I didn't find the Somnowell very comfortable - my teeth got so sensitive I had to drink coffee through a straw, so I used it intermittently when I was on holiday and had to share a room with my husband. It did stop the snoring. Then I got referred to the dental clinic by my dentist because of marks on the inside of my cheeks, and it appears that I have oral lichen planus, probably caused by a reaction to the metal in the device. It's not causing me a problem at the moment (although it is associated with a higher risk of oral cancer) but it looks as though it can get quite nasty, with a very sore mouth. So it's back to a cheaper device for me.

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:04 pm

My partner has used a Somnowell for a few years now, after having severe sleep apnoea (he made the house shake!). It needed a few adjustments but now he finds it perfectly comfortable and it works almost all the time. It's a great relief when we're on holiday and has stopped the bed-hopping at home. He'd tried other devices and nothing else worked so, for us, it has been well worth the money.