CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

Has anyone got any MAD advice?

Discuss your experiences with the various products that may or may not help you to stop snoring

Has anyone got any MAD advice?

Post by Ellie » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:09 am

I am waiting for an appointment to fight my way to getting CPAP but was getting so desperate I bought one of the Mandibular devices, from this website actually! I have only used it for 2 nights but have found it extremely painful so I end up taking it out in my sleep. The pain keeps me awake so I find it hard to fall asleep (which is unusual for me) and I'm not sure how effective it will be anyway as my jaw is not pulled that far forward because the pain is too much if I do that. Also my gums feel really sore and bruised during and after using it. So I am thinking of giving up with it, although I keep reading that if I persevere then it will get easier. Has anyone else tried one of these? Did they have similar problems? Have you got any tips on how to make using it better?

Many thanks

General Snorer

Re: Has anyone got any MAD advice?

Post by Alsacienne » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:44 pm

I think someone has suggested boiling it in the past to make it softer and then mould it to your jaw ..... Dan, do you remember this at all?

Post by Ohsoverytired » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:48 pm

I have been using a MAD since Xmas (on and off) and really struggled with it for quite a few nights, although not perhaps as badly as you!

I dribbled so much at the start that the whole bedroom was soggy (including my husband) but it did improve eventually.

I did have sore jaws and teeth but again this improved for me to the point that in the morning there is minimal discomfort.

Because the whole process was so unpleasant initially, I took breaks - although this sometimes meant I had to really force myself to try again when it was time to put it back in.

Persevere for a bit longer.........(Oh and Good Luck too)

occasional visitor

Post by occasional visitor » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:39 pm

I bought an mad off the net and adjusted it using the boiling method but made the mistake of trying to set it to hold my jaw forward of its normal position which did nothing other than make my jaw ache so I gave up with it.I tried it again but set it to hold my jaw in its normal position to stop it retracting and allowing my tongue to go backover and causing apnoeas. The result was it worked reasonably well and I could keep it in all night without discomfort. I now use it in conjunction with cpap and find it works really well.
regards OV.

bud hall

Post by bud hall » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:53 pm

I started using a MAD but after a few nights usage I got a realy bad pain in one of my front upper jaw teeth. On visiting the dentist he had to do root canal treatment on that tooth to ease the pain, maybe a proffesionaly fitted one moulded to my dentures might be better but I dont know who to contact as my dentist was not interested.

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:05 pm

bud hall wrote:I dont know who to contact as my dentist was not interested.
It's interesting isn't it? I''ve contacted firms like Intus, who quote somewhere betwen £1,000 - £1,500 for a custom fitted MAD. They justify this by saying that only a professionally fitted MAD will really give benefit. However even if I could afford this price, they could only offer 2 dentists (one in London, one elsewhere in the South of England).

This wasn't an acceptable solution to me. In addition, Intus would not consider selling through my dentist. And when I asked my dentist, he wasn't interested in trying to source an MAD for me!

In the meantime, I bought a Tomed SomnoGuard SP Soft from the BSSA website. Initial results seem to be positive (not uncomfortable after getting over an initial gagging reflex) and it's flexible design seems to allow enough jaw opening to cover sneezing, coughing etc.

I had an oximeter test last week (with and without the Somnoguard) and am due to get the results this afternoon. Will let you know how it goes.

Post by jaanderson65 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:36 pm

i have had this devise for 4 month now and cant use it at all, it falls out and my teeth bleed and it hurts !
iam waiting for an appointment with my consultant as he has surgested a opp for my sinuses, then if all fails a cpap machine.
Iam looking forward to the machine.

Super pig

Post by Super pig » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:07 am

I have recently brought one off amazon. It wasn't too expensive (snoreMD)

It's not the most comfortable thing in the world but in a few days has reduced my snoring from loud and continuous to the odd snort, mostly very quiet and brief.
I'm still getting used to wearing it and I really hope the results are permanent.

Would recommend to anyone to try.

Post by Tom86 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:02 pm

I tried a few of the Mad devices and various assorted headstones before CPAP. In short, I think some enterprising unsympathetic people have cornered a market. They don't really work. I have had a broken nose which obstructs air flow so having my mouth either shut or obstructed doesn't really help.
You can boil and reset the Mad device but this tends to weaken them if you are tweaking and readjusting and then they don't support your jaw as much.

General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:58 pm

Tom86, did you have one fitted by a dentist though, they are a totally different ball game.
A lot of complaint about people getting sore jaws at the start. But these usually can be adjusted.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Alicia Thrumble
Private Snorer

Post by Alicia Thrumble » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:20 pm

I notice some of these posts are fairly old, so am wondering if there is any 'newer' product on the market. I really can't afford a device to be made by the dentist, they range from a few hundred pounds to over one thousand and the nhs say they won't fund one. Any suggestions?
Thank you

General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:15 pm

Hi Alicia,
You would need to be a mild sufferer before it would be of benefit to you.
I don't know if you can get these off the NHS but I don't think you can.
You do get boil and bite ones, but these are not designed to prevent Sleep Apnoea, more to help keep someone from opening their mouth or stopping their jaw from dropping back with a limited success. There are other types that have an adjusting screw to bring your jaw forward over time, but these are not designed to fit your mouth or teeth and can damage your teeth. These should really be fitted and made for you by a dentist.
I don't know of any new designs but things change.
If you are a nose breather you might be better off going for a cpap/apap machine and Nasal Pillows.
S2S - Sleep2Snore