CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

Can you help snoring by losing weight??

Discuss your experiences with the various products that may or may not help you to stop snoring

Can you help snoring by losing weight??

Post by FamilyGuy » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:24 pm

Hi I'm 47 and 17st 6lbs. 5'8, yes over weight, 17'5 inch collar, my snoring is terrible according to everyone around me, allthough I have not heard it,

If I was to lose weight to around 15st and reduce my collar size is this likely to reduce my snoring or is the damage done?

I guess what im really asking is the damage done or is it really possible to sort out,

I was looking at LAUP, but this does not seem the solution as apparenly it is not permanment, I know that being over weight is the main issue and I can deal with this and am, but I am worried that the snoring will continue and may get worse where weight lose is concerned around the neck.

General Snorer

Re: Can you help snoring by losing weight??

Post by Sleep2Snore » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:03 pm

The short answer is yes, but it is never that simple. Loosing weight will do you good anyway and can't possibly do any harm. Having said that I know people that are quite thin and they snore.
I am no doctor and all I can say is give it a go. If you snore badly go to your GP and if you can't take your partner with you as it affects them more than you. Your GP may refer you to ENT just to make sure there is nothing amiss.
Good luck with the weight loss.

S2S - Sleep2Snore

Brigadier Snorer

Post by Suse » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:39 am

Again...not a doctor...but my main question would be did you snore BEFORE you put the weight on - because that's a fairly good indicator that taking the weight off will help with a reversal of the amount of noise/frequency.

But if it's really bad a trip to the GP is the way to go just to check there isn't anything going on that shouldn't be.

Captain Snorer

Post by Matty » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:40 pm

Hi there my names Matt and I am currently overweight. I used to be a healthy weight but now I'm overweight. I never used to snore until I gained weight. Since then I have lost around 3.5 stone and still need to lose according to nhs around 1.2 stone.

I used to snore quite a bit but I'm told the snoring has reduced. Also have you considered using throat sprays to help?

Private Snorer

Post by Snorestoppers » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:55 pm

By losing weight, you will reduce the amount of excess fat around your neck. This fat can cause the surrounding tissues to sag, which stops air flowing smoothly through your throat and causes vibration - and snoring. This is more of a problem for men, who are more likely to store extra fat around the neck. Also, as you get older, your neck muscles weaken giving the same result.

Sophia Fournier

Post by Sophia Fournier » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:42 am

Overweight can exacerbate snoring, because fatty tissue and poor muscle tone contribute to snoring. Yes dropping of weight will help you to reduce fatty tissue in the back of the throat and help to control snoring. You can also follow some other steps to cure from snoring like: regular exercise, avoid alcohol, sleeping pills, change your sleep position, open nasal passages, change pillows.

Sophia Fournier
Senior Associate at Asonor