Sleep Tests
Find the type of snorer you are.
CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

Work and 24hr on call

Talk about all aspects of sleep apnoea. Request help from others with the same problem, tell your story, exchange tips & techniques ..
Guest

Work and 24hr on call

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:26 am

Advice please? I am UK based.

I have been getting on great with my cpap however 1 week in every 7 I have to be on call out for work. If I get called out in the night it really makes me tired the next day.

Is this common if disturbed? Would it be advisable to ask work to remove me from the on call rota and if so do I need a letter from GP?

Thanks in advance.

User avatar
Sleep2Snore
General Snorer
Posts: 2537
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:20 pm
Location: Aberdeenshire

Re: Work and 24hr on call

Post by Sleep2Snore » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:23 pm

I used to have to deal with call outs as well and even if you don't suffer from Sleep Apnoea it can still be very tiring. If you have a Union Rep' at your work talk to them (though you may have to explain what OSA is) first. Failing this talk to HR if you have one. Talking to your Dr first might be advisef. Some employers are fair and would not want you to be involved in an accident especially if you drive one of their cars/vans on the road. It is also advised you rell them you suffer with Sleep Apnoea (OSA) as their insurance may be void if the insurance company finds out. If there is any increase in their insurance most companies wull pay it, but most insurances di not go up.
If you drive an HGV you need to let them know.
One lorry driver was jailed as he had not declared it.
Have a word with your Dr, then talk to your Union if you have one.
I tild my employers and they just shrugged their sholders and recorded it afyer phoning their insurers.
It is difficult and all employers treat their workers differently. It is very difficult to advise on this one.
We don't know your employers.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

User avatar
Nuneatonman37
Lieutenant Snorer
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:13 pm

Re: Work and 24hr on call

Post by Nuneatonman37 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:26 pm

Hi and Welcome ,

You are classed as having a disability with having sleep apnoea your employer needs to make reasonable adjustments for you to continue in your employment.

http://www.rightsatwork.co.uk/employmen ... ation.html

There's a lady on the site who is a HR manager her username is Saturdaynight perhaps private message her through the forum and she will give you the best advice on your situation.

Kind Regards,

User avatar
Sleep2Snore
General Snorer
Posts: 2537
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:20 pm
Location: Aberdeenshire

Re: Work and 24hr on call

Post by Sleep2Snore » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:01 am

Employers should, but not all employers are so sympathetic and will find ways round regulations.
However if it is a large employer they are more likely to comply and at least try to help.
By all means talk to your HR or Pm above for advice.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

saturdaynight
Lieutenant Colonel Snorer
Posts: 262
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:23 pm
Location: Orkney, Scotland

Re: Work and 24hr on call

Post by saturdaynight » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:53 pm

Did this guy find resolution to this?

big G
Private Snorer
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:10 pm

Re: Work and 24hr on call

Post by big G » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:30 pm

Hi All,

I find this very interesting, have been diagnosed for 27 years with depression, diabetes, high blood pressure, constant tiredness, or as seem to be fatigue, physical and mental.

When the tiredness become really bad and change in headache, I went through copious blood tests,told its my anti depressants, and wanted to change them, told it was diabetes,

In may , different GP at surgery ruled out sleep apnea, don't know why, but after constant visits to GP, she noticed I was having jerks, so emergency admission to hospital, and a brain CT, all ok fortunately, and suspected Sleep Apnea. That would be September. Referred to sleep centre, who in October, said most probable, and need to do overnight sleep study. At same time GP referred to chronic fatigue syndrome centre for treatment.

Since then my diabetes has spiralled for worse, facing a second disciplinary, returned depression, stress and still in a 6 month waiting list for sleep study. Which may be till April.

I find interesting, as I told my boss, asked for support and Occ Health referral, yet as no diagnosis, no joy. Just Moore threats about performance management, can't take time off as fail a action plan for absenteeism as hit first trigger point. With company for 13 years, and support answer what do want? I want support. I may add a global telecom company.

So if classed a disability how can employers, how can they refuse support in a way, and performance manage? And have no rights for anything.

Sorry for rant,

G

Guest

Re: Work and 24hr on call

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:05 pm

This is the problem.
No diagnoses, no problem!
If in a union talk to them about it.
What you can say to your employer is that you suspect it is Sleep Apnoea that is the problem and that you are waiting for a test for it.
If they remove you from their employment you will take it to a tribunal.
Speak to your personal department if they have not been involved.

A lot of employers do not understand Sleep Apnoea and how it affects you.
However, some employers might stop you driving.
In fact, they should until you are under treatment.

Of you have the money go private, but it is expensive.

User avatar
Sleep2Snore
General Snorer
Posts: 2537
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:20 pm
Location: Aberdeenshire

Re: Work and 24hr on call

Post by Sleep2Snore » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:29 am

Without a diagnosis, they will treat you as just taking time off work.
I would get a note from your doctor saying that the doctor suspects you have sleep apnoea and that you are awaiting tests for it.
Also get the doctor to pt down the symptoms of the sleep apnoea, then they can't turn round later and say that they didn't know anything about it.
Keep a copy for yourself.
Hand it to the Human Resources (Personel) whatever they call it.
The only problem is they may relieve you of driving until you get treatment.
However, you should be aware of the dangers of driving until you are on treatment yourself.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

User avatar
Sleep2Snore
General Snorer
Posts: 2537
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:20 pm
Location: Aberdeenshire

Re: Work and 24hr on call

Post by Sleep2Snore » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:30 am

saturdaynight wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:53 pm
Did this guy find resolution to this?
I don't know, they have never been back to let us know how they are getting on.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

User avatar
AndyD
Corporal Snorer
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:51 pm

Re: Work and 24hr on call

Post by AndyD » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:01 pm

big G wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:30 pm
Hi All,

I find this very interesting, have been diagnosed for 27 years with depression, diabetes, high blood pressure, constant tiredness, or as seem to be fatigue, physical and mental.

When the tiredness become really bad and change in headache, I went through copious blood tests,told its my anti depressants, and wanted to change them, told it was diabetes,

In may , different GP at surgery ruled out sleep apnea, don't know why, but after constant visits to GP, she noticed I was having jerks, so emergency admission to hospital, and a brain CT, all ok fortunately, and suspected Sleep Apnea. That would be September. Referred to sleep centre, who in October, said most probable, and need to do overnight sleep study. At same time GP referred to chronic fatigue syndrome centre for treatment.

Since then my diabetes has spiralled for worse, facing a second disciplinary, returned depression, stress and still in a 6 month waiting list for sleep study. Which may be till April.

I find interesting, as I told my boss, asked for support and Occ Health referral, yet as no diagnosis, no joy. Just Moore threats about performance management, can't take time off as fail a action plan for absenteeism as hit first trigger point. With company for 13 years, and support answer what do want? I want support. I may add a global telecom company.

So if classed a disability how can employers, how can they refuse support in a way, and performance manage? And have no rights for anything.

Sorry for rant,

G
Hello, I'm in a VERY similar position to yourself. I too work for a large telecoms company. I am on I final warning for performance and could loose my job as a result.

I've recently been diagnosed with sleep apnoea and started treatment with CPAP a couple of weeks ago. ITS AMAZING. the difference it has made to my life in all area. However it feels like its too late for my job. My management don't seem to understand or care. I'm trying to start all the support processes possible (OHS, etc) but my hearing is on the 15th (just over a week away). Frankly i'm terrified.

I'm seeing a councillor for support with the issues I've had. She suggested that the condition might be covered by the Disabilities Discrimination Act. But i'm finding it almost impossible to find any information relating to this. Is sleep apnoea considered to be a disability? If so is this detailed anywhere?

All I want is some support to allow me to move forwards and get back into working and performing like I did before this.

HEEELLLLPPPP

ta,

Andy

big G
Private Snorer
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:10 pm

Re: Work and 24hr on call

Post by big G » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:57 pm

Hi ANDY,

Fully understand how you feel, I been signed off work at the moment, as my depression and diabetes have became worse.

Finally got through occ health, and she been great, but that essentially because of my depression, and off work.

I assume you are not part of a union? If not then the only people I can suggest is citizens advice. Or contact ACAS, they good for advice.

I am. Interested how long you waited for you sleep study and how long to get a CPAP machine.

Gordon

User avatar
Sleep2Snore
General Snorer
Posts: 2537
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:20 pm
Location: Aberdeenshire

Re: Work and 24hr on call

Post by Sleep2Snore » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:08 pm

Definition of a “Disability”

The definition of disability covers anyone who has a physical or mental impairment which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on their ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities. The effect of an impairment is long term if it has lasted, or is likely to last at least 12 months or it is likely to last for the rest of the life of the person affected.

Examples of disabilities include diabetes, epilepsy, long term depression, and sleep apnoea. Severe disfigurement is also considered to be disability.
http://www.rightsatwork.co.uk/employmen ... ation.html

That any help?
S2S - Sleep2Snore

User avatar
AndyD
Corporal Snorer
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:51 pm

Re: Work and 24hr on call

Post by AndyD » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:11 am

Sleep2Snore wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:08 pm
Definition of a “Disability”

The definition of disability covers anyone who has a physical or mental impairment which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on their ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities. The effect of an impairment is long term if it has lasted, or is likely to last at least 12 months or it is likely to last for the rest of the life of the person affected.

Examples of disabilities include diabetes, epilepsy, long term depression, and sleep apnoea. Severe disfigurement is also considered to be disability.
http://www.rightsatwork.co.uk/employmen ... ation.html

That any help?
That is extremely helpful! thanks so much.

Andy

User avatar
AndyD
Corporal Snorer
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:51 pm

Re: Work and 24hr on call

Post by AndyD » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:18 am

big G wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:57 pm
Hi ANDY,

Fully understand how you feel, I been signed off work at the moment, as my depression and diabetes have became worse.

Finally got through occ health, and she been great, but that essentially because of my depression, and off work.

I assume you are not part of a union? If not then the only people I can suggest is citizens advice. Or contact ACAS, they good for advice.

I am. Interested how long you waited for you sleep study and how long to get a CPAP machine.

Gordon
I'm not surprised. I spent 10 weeks (in total) signed off for depression last summer. At the time it was blamed on the pressure from failing performance but now I can see it ALL leads back to the sleep apnoea.

I have a meeting with the OHS next week, fingers crossed on that one. I'm also seeing a councillor paid for by the company.

I am in a union but haven't been a member for long. I am getting support from them but I don't want to take the mick seeing that I've not been a member for that long (less than a year). I've worked for this company for 26 years, the support I had for 24 of those years was great. Its just the last two years.... but that was when my line management was 'off shored'.....

It was VERY quick for me. as someone else has said on this forum. its a bit of a post code lottery. I was referred by my doctor in September. Attended the sleep clinic in early December. Got my CPAP machine in late Jan. I live in Dorset.

ta,

Andy

saturdaynight
Lieutenant Colonel Snorer
Posts: 262
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:23 pm
Location: Orkney, Scotland

Re: Work and 24hr on call

Post by saturdaynight » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:54 pm

Hello,

I am a HR Manager and have severe OSA, let me know if you need any advice..

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron
CPAP Rental - Trial & Rent A CPAP Machine
Use a top of the range automatic CPAP for one week
A full data download report is available