CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

Gutted

Talk about all aspects of sleep apnoea. Request help from others with the same problem, tell your story, exchange tips & techniques ..
big G
Corporal Snorer

Gutted

Post by big G » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:21 pm

A few days ago I finally had my overnight sleep study,

However, did no go well,found sleep hard to get with all the sensors and wires, twice I had to get the chest band loosened the one on my through moved the one on top head coming off. And splitting head.

To top it all was so stressed with stuff that happened through the day. Having marriage counselling, as so close to splitting up, and big argument hours. Fell out with mum, due to house get put on market.

Nurse said was really restless, but showed some structured occasions. Didn't know if enough results to offer Cpap but speak to dr. Doc says try to get results quick, but prob not enough and see GP to get my anti depressants changed to help sleep.,

Feel absolutely gutted, waited six month and all happens and messed up.

That's thT then,

g

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Re: Gutted

Post by Sleep2Snore » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:32 pm

What happened to your English?

Don't worry about it to much big G.

Ah well, these things happen, the fact you were stressed with all that on your mind I doubt you would have slept anyway.
What I did (was more or less told to by the man in charge at the hospital) was to go into the city and have a meal and a couple of pints.
This would make me sleep easier and give me the results at their worst. He may have been joking, but he looked serious, so I did just that.
I wish I had left out the two pints and stuck to nips (drams) as I was only half an hour into being connected up and I needed to go to the toilet :lol:
At this point I was beginning to wish I had accepted the bottle she offered me, however, I had a strong bladder back then and decided I wasn't going to push the buzzer, just go to sleep. No accidents during the night, but good results after my two pints, plus I saw him next day and he looked at my results. I don't think that happens there now as he retired.
People have to wait, but I told him I couldn't come back easily as it took all my time to drive from Aberdeen to Edinburgh.
He said he would do the study that night (though I waited long enough to get to see him in the first place) and he would see me after breakfast the next day (though I might have to wait) which he did. I was also in luck as he said I might have to take a second hand machine, however, when he phoned he was told new machines had just arrived, so he told them to set one up and he would sent me across to get fitted out.

Strange thing was (though this had nothing to do with how I was treated) I just happened to say that I knew someone of the same name and he spoke the same way and that his name was IAN and he works at ******* and he is my fathers boss. "Yes, he is my brother."

What's the chances of that happening? :)

Don't worry to much about it, go to your doctor and explain what happened the week leading up to the sleep Study and get him to contact the Sleep Clinic and ask the consultant to check your results to see if they were any use, if not get him to explain why to the consultant. If they are no good ask your doctor to ask for another test. This time you should be less stressed, you can take a mouthful of Vodka teo hours before you go for testing. That should give you results and make you relax a bit!

Shame all these things had to go against you at that time. :(
S2S - Sleep2Snore

big G
Corporal Snorer

Post by big G » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:57 pm

Sorry my English and grammar are schocking, failed English twice at school.

I have an apt with GP anyway as sickline run out.

I am going to go with that option, but in the eventuality that I can't get any further with the NHS, or have to go back to the start of the queue, does anyone have a fought estimate how much it would cost to go private.

I I did go this avenue, and required a machine, would I still be able to get that off NHS?

Thanks

G

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:24 pm

Big question!
I would talk to your doctor first or write or phone the Sleep Clinic to see if they will accept a diagnoses from a private clinic.
If you are in England, this might still cause you a delay as they have to apply for funding for each patient (or at least they had to not that long ago, so I assume they still have to). It would depend where you are in the country and if you are prepared to have a home test or tested in a Sleep Clinic.
For a Study from this site look here http://www.britishsnoring.co.uk/home_sleep_study.php and if you look down the page you will get a CLICK HERE FOR PRICES. I would recommend at least two nights home study if not three as it takes a night to get used to the machine, then a night to settle and a hopefully good nights sleep. But it will depend on yourself. You can call British Snoring for details or fill in the form on the page.
If you want a Sleep Study done in the Sleep Clinic it will be more expensive, you will need to ask for prices.
There is also The London Sleep Clinic if you are in London or can get there, a home sleep study from them is £450.00. One night?
It is best you are tested in a Sleep Clinic, wired up to a monitoring station for a polysomnography, but of course this will be expensive, around a £1000 at least. But it will give you the best results. Best way is to ask for prices where you want it to be done.

British Snoring have a good machine, but it is a costly and I would recommend more than one night on it, it is the Black Shadow Home Study machine, but you will need help to get connected up to it.

Some people have had a home study done, got their own machine and asked the NHS clinic if they will maintain it, some clinics have agreed to do this, but they must have your prescription for a machine and some will only look after it if you sign it over to them. However, there are cost savings in doing this. Other clinics will not do this, so you need to find out these things before you take the plunge.

I know it is a long wait for the NHS and if they give you a home study and it comes up negative, it is hard to get another study unless you get your doctor on your side.

Have a look at the page above and see if you want to go down this route or can afford to do this.
If not, just make a pest of yourself at your doctors.

Good luck in what you decide to do.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:09 am

Hi,

For what it's worth I was offered a (NHS) home sleep study but after a four week wait for the preferred hospital (the one providing the equipment & handling my case going forward) I went back to the GP and asked for a change of hospital, they agreed. Is this an option for you?

Two weeks later I had the home sleep study (OSA confirmed) and given a manual machine. Wanting the best sleep I purchased two private CPAP's (one for home and a lightweight battery powered Transcend for night away - a regular thing) which the NHS supply the "consumables" for (mask/hose etc). If you are concerned about the results being skewed you need to discuss with the GP and persuade them to agree another test.

Could it be that your issues are the cause of your sleep problems rather than OSA - just a thought?

Best wishes whatever you decide to do.

big G
Corporal Snorer

Post by big G » Thu May 11, 2017 7:35 pm

Thought I would give an update.

The nursing staff I dealt with were true to their word and an urgent request was done, due to my depression and long term sick off work.

I just got asked to go for appointment, whereby I was informed of the diagnosis : sleep disordered breathing.

Seems it is not just sleep apnea, it seems that an umbrella term to cover more than one condition. Trust me . Anyone else heard of or have, and how you manage with it.

However, the treatment seems to be CPAP, so have a 2 week trial with machine and mask. Return so they can download all the info, and hopefully get issues one with the pressures etc.

Here's hoping.

G

Post by Guest » Fri May 12, 2017 2:23 pm

Looks like now they have given you a machine it has also vastly improved your spelling.
Top marks to the sleep clinic.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Fri May 12, 2017 2:45 pm

Didn't follow that, but Sleep Apnoea can have other things to go along with it.
There is OSA (Obstructive Sleep Apnoea) CSA (Central Sleep Apnoea) or a mixture of both.
There is also a few other things can go along with it, depression, risk of heart attack, stroke, restless legs etc.
Also a few other things that can affect sleep can be discovered during a sleep study, so unless you can tell us what they found?
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Post by Guest » Sat May 13, 2017 9:59 pm

I wish my english would improve, might nor get moaned at so.much.

Never told.me much else. The nurse tbat i dealt with reallty surpeised i called in. Seems ro do with being off work with depression.

I am hiping to see thw doc when i go back with cpap after trial. Managing ok with it. Not.much differences.on.tiredness though.

G

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Mon May 15, 2017 11:43 pm

So you are on a trial at the moment?
Just have to wait to see what the results are.
Let us know how you get on.
Don't worry to much about your English, I am quite sure I would be a lot worse with another language.
I am bad enough with English sometimes :lol:
S2S - Sleep2Snore

big G
Corporal Snorer

Post by big G » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:33 pm

I was back at the sleep clinic today, changed my apap to cpap following 3 weeks trial.

Diagnosis sleep disorder breathing, ahi on overnight was 38. With apap has reduced to 7.7. Cpap been set at pressure of 11.8. Seems a leakage rate is low and average sleep time of 9 hrs a night.

Also told 2 weeks ago I have me/cfs, which still going to have major effect of tiredness.

Hope it gets better soon

G

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:26 pm

That will definitely not help things as regards to being tired, however, you need to try to get it down to below 5 or a bit lower if you can.
At the moment just get used to the machine and the mask, it does take a while, for most anyway.
S2S - Sleep2Snore