CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

Sleep Apnea Surgery

Talk about all aspects of sleep apnoea. Request help from others with the same problem, tell your story, exchange tips & techniques ..
DoubtingThomas
Private Snorer

Sleep Apnea Surgery

Post by DoubtingThomas » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:18 pm

Hello folks. Ive been suffering with sleep problems for years and have now recently been diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. During the sleep test I had 64 apneas per hour on average and oxygen was down at 60-65%. I am 38, fairly fit and active but dead tired all the time.

Ive had my CPAP machine for three weeks. I hate it. I have a pressure of 11.5 and its like a hairdryer blowing.

During my internet research i have found a few surgeons websites which claim to cure sleep apnea, by advancing the jaw forward. I do have a slightly receding jaw, but no double chin. This is supposedly a genetic marker of sleep apnea.

Has anyone here underwent this surgery, or have any information? Ive been quoted between £20,000 and £60,000 for it.

Im pretty desperate!

Re: Sleep Apnea Surgery

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:58 pm

Mate stick with the cpap machine.
I am three years down the road from where you are right now. It is not a quick fix.
If someone tried to take my cpap I would happily kill them.
I had trouble too start with. Dry mouth, knocking the mask off hurricane blowing my head off dripping in the mask and another hundred little things that will annoy you. Set your machine to its maximum ramp up time. This will allow you to fall asleep without the pressure being full on right away. If you waken press the machine on and off and it will reset to the low pressure and build back up allowing you time to dift off. If you can get six good hours sleeping on the machine in a few weeks your mood will lift. Also try a pillow with a groove if you sleep on your side. If you are a nose breather get a chin strap to keep your mouth shut. This made a huge difference to me. Put a cover on the hose this quietens it and stops dripping. Everybody is different but now I am trained I won't sleep unless I have my machine it takes me a week to get over not using it one night.
When you sleep without it you are basically giving yourself altitude sickness. Persevere for three months and i guarantee that you will feel better. This time next year you won't be able to believe that you survived without it. It's about your mindset. Your apnoea is slowly killing you be positive about your cpap machine it will change your life for the better

Good luck

Nuneatonman37
Sergeant Snorer

Post by Nuneatonman37 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:19 pm

The answer to the question is get an apap machine it will not blow at the set pressure all night long it will only increase pressure during apnoea events then decrease after the event .

Spend £700 and buy yourself an apap machine that is the best answer to your problem.

Kind Regards,

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:38 pm

I would recommend you forget surgery and get an APAP, the ResMed Airsense10 it is so quiet you sometimes think it is not running but it is. Get the Auto and not the for her one.
It is quite small as well, only thing it is 24Vdc and not 12Vdc like the Philips Resperonics ones, but you do get a 12V to 24V adaptor and a stupid high price of just over £100, but the Resmed machine is the better one. Surgery is painful and very few recommend it, the skin also tends to grow back.
Save your money and get a APAP, the Airsense10 also has a built in humidifier and can take the heated hoses.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:40 pm

Advancing the jaw forward would be a big surgery, very painful with no guarantee of success.
Get an APAP, it is not a big deal.
S2S - Sleep2Snore