Find the type of snorer you are.
CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

If you have tested negative for Sleep Apnoea and you are still tired ask for a blood test.

Talk about all aspects of sleep apnoea. Request help from others with the same problem, tell your story, exchange tips & techniques ..
Max68
Sergeant Snorer

If you have tested negative for Sleep Apnoea and you are still tired ask for a blood test.

Post by Max68 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:12 pm

Hi all, back again with just a suggestion for those who like me have been tested negative for sleep apnoea but are still affected by tiredness and fatigue and are not sure what to do next.

After having several tests which were negative I kept screaming (not literally) at my GP asking to find out why I am so fatigued if it's not a sleep issue. She finally decided to have another blood test done and my results came back this week with a very low Vitamin D reading. It's meant to be between 50 and 120 and mine was 25. Not sure if it's the whole story but she has put me on some high dose Vitamin D and hopefully it will help.

Thought I would just put it out there in case others are in the same boat and their GP isn't running any further tests because I know how frustrating it is not having any answers.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Re: If you have tested negative for Sleep Apnoea and you are still tired ask for a blood test.

Post by Sleep2Snore » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:52 pm

That and thyroid problems can cause you to be tired.
There are a few other things.
When people come here we hope the doctor has tried the blood tests etc, but this is not always the case.
However, it can also depend if it was a home test or in a Sleep Clinic.

Lets hope this is the cause of your problem.

I can't ever remember having any blood tests done, maybe I was an open and shut case! :lol:
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Max68
Sergeant Snorer

Re: If you have tested negative for Sleep Apnoea and you are still tired ask for a blood test.

Post by Max68 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:33 pm

That obvious were you S2S?! :wink: Yeah my Vitamin D levels were a bit low in January but not perceived low enough to warrant treatment but as the years gone on I have become more tired so had it done again and it's a lot lower. Been playing around with medications as well because half of my daily pills "can cause fatigue"!! My new GP told me to take my BP meds in the morning whereas my previous GP told me to take them at night. Under the new change I could quite literally fall asleep in the afternoon. So I switched back to taking nightly and I am less tired a week later.

So as you say plenty of other things can make you fatigued. Just thought I would throw it out there in case someone's GP hasn't suggested blood work. Sadly as patients quite often it seems the onus is on us to suggest things. I learnt that after struggling with what I thought was a long term groin problem when I played football a few years ago. After umpteen physios, both NHS and private I finally demanded a scan. They gave me an XRay and noticed I had arthritic hips. £25-£30 quid a pop those physio appointments were over 3 years so after that I tend to ask a GP for this, that and the other!!!!

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:59 pm

Yes, push for CAT scans, they show up a lot, if you get a contrast scan it will show up even more.
Not all people that are tired is suffering from Sleep Apnoea.
There are a lot of other causes and as you say medicine can cause a lot of problems.
Also it can be noticed that a lot of people will feel tired after a meal, this is why you should eat less at lunch time, just enough to put the hunger away. Easier said then done! I would rather not eat, as soon as I do I suddenly feel hungry! Better to eat something first thing, then just a snack at lunch time, them main meal at night, however, this is when you can put on weight if you eat to much because you are starving!
You just can't win can you?
When you throw medicines into it as well, it can cause a bit of a headache!
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:02 pm

It does appear very much that you have to stear doctors towards something these days, then they come away with "You shouldn't be looking on the Internet," well what do they suggest, they do not come up with the goodies all that often.
Anyway, good luck in finding what is the cause of your fatigue.
S2S - Sleep2Snore