CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

Not sure what this is?

Talk about all aspects of sleep apnoea. Request help from others with the same problem, tell your story, exchange tips & techniques ..

Not sure what this is?

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:18 am

I'm 34, male, 6ft2, healthy weight bmi etc. and no known conditions, i.e.non diabetic etc. I am taking mirtazipine for the last 2 months. I have a close direct relative, father, who has diabetes type 2 (diagnosed in mid 50s).

The last 3 weeks or so now I've woken up in the early morning (range from 230am - 6am) and had this strange but slight sensation that I need to pee. I awake to find I have it and then can't get back to sleep. I'm wide awake. However it definitely isn't a strong, intense, desperate urge but rather just a slight awareness if that makes sense which is why I don't even need to pee so I never actually go straight away and sometimes don't go at all until later in the morning. So it's more of a slight awareness if that makes sense.

What's even more odd is that this never happens at any other time of the day or night. I have no other symptoms, no burning, no pain, normal urine frequency. I'm fine, my usual self at all other times and can go about my normal day, however this is affecting my sleep now. I haven't had an one uninterrupted nights sleep for a while.

I had an urinalysis done two weeks ago which came back normal. I'll go and get my prostate checked but any idea what this could be? I feel if something disturbs your usual sleep pattern then something isn't quite right. Someone did suggest apnea but I'm not sure. I've used an app to record my snoring and it sounds fairly normal. But it would explain why I'm only getting this one symptom at night time.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Re: Not sure what this is?

Post by Sleep2Snore » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:39 pm

There might be a few reasons why you might get this feeling, I am no doctor, but go by what I have come across.
Sleep Apnoea does make some want to go to the toilet, but not others. I never ran to the toilet, nor did I snore to much or loudly.
I did if I had had a drink, but that can be expected.
It could be the prostate, or bladder cancer or a slight infection, or as you say it might be the start of something like very mild Sleep Apnoea, though it is not so much snoring you have to listen for, it is pauses in breathing, sometimes (not always) followed by a snort and a gasp for breath.
I would go see you doctor to discuss what is going on, it could be a number of things including just getting older and not having the same capacity.
I know someone that got tablets for wanting to go to the toilet at night, but I don't know what was being treated. All I can say is it did work and he is no longer bothered by night time wanting to pee.
So make an appointment with your doctor and get prostate checked at the same time.
S2S - Sleep2Snore