CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

sleep apnea study private v nhs

Talk about all aspects of sleep apnoea. Request help from others with the same problem, tell your story, exchange tips & techniques ..

sleep apnea study private v nhs

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:43 pm

Hi All

I am so confused. Had a home study done which showed i had moderate 1st night and severe the 2nd night. I eventually have been seen by nhs and had a sleep study for 3 nights which i know for sure i only slept about an hour each night i just could not settle. I was told to stop driving. I have waited 5 weeks for results and decided to phone and they told me i do not have sleep apnea but would not discuss the results with me. When i asked about my private sleep study they said they could not comment. How can it be you either have it or you dont. Anyone else had this

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Re: sleep apnea study private v nhs

Post by Sleep2Snore » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:31 am

I would phone them up and ask what is going on, you either have sleep apnoea or you don't and if you don't why were you told to stop driving. They nay have your results mixed up.
I don't understand who told you not to drive?
If you didn't sleep they can't monitor you to see if you have Sleep Apnoea.
If you have had a Private Study done and they said you had Sleep Apnoea, they should have given you a prescription so you could get a CPAP/APAP machine.

They can't do a private sleep study, say you have sleep apnoea and not give you the results and a prescription. If they did, get on to them, they can't just say you have it and wash their hands of you.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Nuneatonman37
Captain Snorer

Post by Nuneatonman37 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:21 am

Hi,
Why have you stopped driving you have been told you don't have osa ?
If your going to have a test for sleep apnoea get a proper test done not these take home kits they are rubbish.
Get yourself into a regional sleep centre and ask for full polysomnography (PSG) its the best test you can have plus you are recorded on video and sound recorded.
If that come back ok then I wouldn't worry anymore for sure.
I dread to think how much this test would be privately if you payed for it could be a costly sum.

You will find the take home test is a money saving exercise do they really work ???
NHS cutbacks at its finest.

If you got spare dollar you could contact Resmed you will get a far superior experience then any NHS clinic out there but yet again going to cost you there offices are Wimpole street London and Didcot Oxfordshire.

Kind Regards ,

NM37.

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:37 am

Thank you so much for all your advice. I had the sleep study done with a well known charity with full documented evidence.(No one will take this though as a prescription. Another Company said they would do me a study £400 then i could purchase there equipment. I took this along to the NHS Clinic. They scoffed at it but told me i must not drive until i have started on treatment but they must do there test first. Any way I telephoned them again yesterday and said she would write to consultant and to give her a couple of days. On the other phone me Monday to remind me.I will not tell you my reply. I will look in to cost of the afore mentioned suggestions once again thank you for all your adviceand help

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:50 pm

It will cost you but you do need to get a full polysomnography (PSG) dome, whether it is ResMed or London Sleep Center.
ResMed can be contacted on the page below.
https://www.resmed.com/uk/en/consumer/s ... ct-us.html
London Sleep Center below.
http://londonsleepcentre.com/

Either that or wait for the NHS to pull their finger out.

Make sure you get the results from them so you can get a CPAP/APAP machine.
If you want a good machine go for the ResMed Airsense10Autosense.
It is a 24Vdc machine and is quite small and very quiet.
Philips machines are ok, but the ResMed machines are slightly quicker to respond.
If you go with the NHS you will get what they give you, very seldom do you get a choice pf machines.

However, I think you may have spent enough and if someone is now having a look from the NHS it might be worth waiting a couple of weeks before you do anything more.
At the end of the day it is up to you and if you have money to spend.
S2S - Sleep2Snore