CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

Hello! Newbie here

Talk about all aspects of sleep apnoea. Request help from others with the same problem, tell your story, exchange tips & techniques ..
Sarah
Sergeant Snorer

Hello! Newbie here

Post by Sarah » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:59 pm

Hello! I've recently been told I have a 'likely' diagnosis of severe obstructive sleep apnoea.

I see the consultant next week but in the meantime I've had my driving licence revoked so I'm learning to organise life differently, giving up some commitments, applying for a bus pass, rediscovering the use of my legs and finding other ways of indulging my hobby of camping, using public transport instead of a car.

I'm looking forward to getting some relief from this permanent tiredness and tapping into all the information and advice on this forum. :-D

Nuneatonman37
Captain Snorer

Re: Hello! Newbie here

Post by Nuneatonman37 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:54 pm

Hello Sarah and Welcome ,

I was diagnosed in 2007 with severe osa 54ahi and I was 37years old at the time of diagnosis .
My wife was telling me for a good while that I stopped breathing in my sleep at night but I just laughed it off and didn't really think about it .
I got to a stage where daytime sleepiness ruled my life and often had to go home to nap if it was possible.
I visited my doctors one day and mentioned about sleep apnoea and was sent off for tests at Birmingham Heartlands hospital I was sent for full polysomnography over night study in the sleep clinic ward .I must say I had the worst nights sleep ever and I honestly thought it was a complete waste of time being there .
I waited 12 weeks for the result to come back regarding the test and was flabbergasted when I saw the result severe apnoea 54 breath holds per hour .I honestly thought I was going to die in my sleep I wasn't laughing now .
When I was diagnosed there was no funding for therapy under the NHS so I bought my stuff privately through a company called Resmed and my journey into apap therapy commenced .
I was on therapy for 8 years and can honestly say that I never missed a night using the machine it became my best friend I even named my machine " Pammy" ( Pamela Anderson) haha .
A few years ago I joined Slimming World in my local area and lost 5 stone 4 lbs in seven months on there plan and had myself retested for sleep apnoea and was told I no longer have it so Pammy went in the wardrobe.
I have been off therapy now 2-3years and have never looked back .

So getting diagnosed for me was a successful journey .

I wish you all the best with your journey on therapy.

Best Wishes,

NM37.

Sarah
Sergeant Snorer

Post by Sarah » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:35 pm

Wow NM! What a great success story! Thanks for your encouraging tale.

I've now definitely been diagnosed with severe obstructive sleep apnoea, stopping breathing 45 times an hour. I have an appointment next week to get a CPAP machine. I too thought that the sleep study was a waste of time - I did it twice as I hadn't managed to sleep at all the first time and not much the second time. If they asked me to do it a third time I was going to refuse, thinking it was a waste of time!

Well done on your amazing weight loss! I have put on quite a bit of weight over the past three years or so following a distressing time. I am making an effort now to lose all that extra. They do say that it's rare ever to get off a CPAP machine but your story shows that it's possible.

Thanks!

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:05 pm

I know quite a few that have lost weight and do not need CPAP now, but I also know a few that are below the weight they used to be all the time before they started to slowly pt it on, they still have to use a machine.
Most will find loosing weight will clear the Sleep Apnoea, but some will be stuck with it.
However, do not let this discourage you from trying, it appeared when you went through a distressing time and will more than likely go if you loose weight, so give it a good go and good luck.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Nuneatonman37
Captain Snorer

Post by Nuneatonman37 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:13 am

Hi again Sarah and thank you for your kind comments.
I was determined to ditch the mask after 8 years of wearing it and read that weight loss can cure sleep apnoea so I decided to test the theory.
I can honestly say that the slimming world plan is the easiest diet ever and you can eat so much food that you never go hungry or crave food you can even eat treats and drink alcohol within limits on it .
I started out at 19 stone 12 lb and after the seven months I got down to 14 stone 9lb , was a 40 waist when starting went to 34 waist .
Before Xmas I have put some weight on but I have now gone back to eating slimming world style and lost 1 stone 8lbs in 6 weeks so I still have the magic .
Once you commence therapy you will have loads more energy and hopefully you won’t feel tired in the day and this will make you feel more active .
If I can do it I’m sure you can just have determination to reach your goals .

Regards,
NM37

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:07 pm

If NM37 can do it anyone can and when you see their diet you would wonder why anyone can loose weight on it, it is not how much you eat but what you eat.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Nuneatonman37
Captain Snorer

Post by Nuneatonman37 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:50 pm

This was my breakfast last Saturday the only damaging thing was the bit of brown sauce that I added at the end ,
You can eat this all day on my diet :lol: :lol: :lol:

Can't fault a good diet .

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nuneatonman37
Captain Snorer

Post by Nuneatonman37 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:52 pm

Forgot to add had a tin of beans and scrambled egg with it as well ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sarah
Sergeant Snorer

Post by Sarah » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:54 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: I don't think I could face all that at any time of the day!!!

Sarah
Sergeant Snorer

Post by Sarah » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:55 am

Is that eggs or tomatoes? I thought at first it was four eggs!

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:50 pm

Sarah wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:55 am
I thought it was eggs without the white, but it is tomatoes, just strange like the man himself :lol:
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Nuneatonman37
Captain Snorer

Post by Nuneatonman37 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:11 pm

Sleep2Snore wrote: just strange like the man himself :lol:
S2S thank you for your kind comment I would say more Weird & Proud would be a much better description ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes 2 tomatoes cut in half not eggs how or why did you think egg .... :lol: :lol: :lol: and they say I'm strange !!!

The bacon is minus the rind and fat and all cooked in Fry-Lite cooking spray which is also no calories .
Baked beans are free foods also eggs .
Brown sauce is the only danger on this meal .

Nuneatonman37
Captain Snorer

Post by Nuneatonman37 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:13 pm

Sleep2Snore wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:50 pm
Sarah wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:55 am
I thought it was eggs without the white, but it is tomatoes, just strange like the man himself :lol:
Do you have red eggs in Jock Land ????

Sarah
Sergeant Snorer

Post by Sarah » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:16 pm

They look like orange egg yolks! At least, they do on my smaller phone screen. :lol: The one second from the left gave the game away as it has a straighter edge.

Why are we discussing the shape of egg yolks? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sarah
Sergeant Snorer

Post by Sarah » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:17 pm

Sorry - orange tomatoes! :wink: