CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

Diagnosis sleep apnoea

Talk about all aspects of sleep apnoea. Request help from others with the same problem, tell your story, exchange tips & techniques ..

Diagnosis sleep apnoea

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:43 pm

Started having disrupted sleep. My mood darkened, I was irritable every morning. A good day was the occasional bonus after a decent sleep.
I woke with a gasp. Husband insisted I was imnagining it. I was unconvinced. I also snore.
I appear low risk, slim with a slender neck and female.
I mentioned it to my GP. The CCG ration sleep studies and can send your doctor packing with any tests requested.
I shelled out £200 for a study.
This morning the result arrived.
I have moderate sleep apnoea.
I am now going through CPAP options, expenditure approximately £1,000.
Now I know why the NHS are so reluctant to diagnose.
Thankfully I can afford everything.
How many people are having their health compromised through lack of diagnosis.
Louise

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Re: Diagnosis sleep apnoea

Post by Sleep2Snore » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:24 pm

If it is straight forward Sleep Apnoea go for an APAP (Automatic)
Everyone I take to these days are saying go for the ResMed Airsense10autoset.
https://www.resmed.com/uk/en/consumer/p ... toset.html
I have one myself and I think it is quicker to respond than the Philips Resperonics machines, though there is mot a huge amount in it.
ResMed have a Airsense10auotset For Her version of the machine that has slightly gentler algorithms more suited for a woman and the machine is disgustingly flowery designed, however the machine is the same inside, just a bit of extra software and a bit of artwork and it has a purple/pink light instead of a white/blue one. I would also recommend one of these machines. I tried three machines just lately and these machines were the quietest, fastest and smallest of the ones I tried.
If you buy one, make sure you get it with the end cover (for when you do not use a humidifier, of it breaks as the water bowls do on all machines in the end) and a humidifier. Buy it with Slimline tubing unless you decide to buy a heated hose "ClimateLine" which makes the air warm and humid, but to be honest they can be bought from elsewhere cheaper than from ResMed.
As for the mask you require, that depends on whether you breath through your mouth or your nose when you sleep. If you go for Nasal Pillows go for Swift FX or Airfit P10 and these are also available in a for her version.
For other types of mask look https://www.resmed.com/uk/en/consumer/p ... masks.html if you mouth breath you will need a Full-Faced mask.
I have heard of a lot or Resperonics masks cracking after not much use, but really it is a matter of choice, it has to be comfortable to have on your face ever night. It might take you a while to get used to what ever you decide. The main thing is that you never give up, before you know it you will not sleep without the machine.
Anyway, good luck on your new journey and adventure.
S2S
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:26 pm

If you have any questions just ask.
Your first few posts here is moderated to combat spam posts, so they might take a day or at weekends until Monday to appear, but after that they will appear straight away.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Jacksfullofaces
Private Snorer

Post by Jacksfullofaces » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:19 pm

Everything arrived, humidifer, phillips CPAP and F&P full mask. Trouble is though the mask feels comfortable and not claustrophobic, I am terrified of side effects.
Read about one woman throwing up in the night. I have a vomit phobia. Is this a common response to these gadgets.
Thank you Sleep2Snore
Louise