CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

Not a good first night

Talk about all aspects of sleep apnoea. Request help from others with the same problem, tell your story, exchange tips & techniques ..
Sarah
Sergeant Snorer

Not a good first night

Post by Sarah » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:16 am

Yesterday I was given a CPAP machine and nasal mask. I tried it for a couple of hours in the afternoon, just sitting reading, and everything was very comfortable and I could breathe easily.

Not so good at night though, unfortunately as I started breathing through my mouth when I was asleep. After listening to the hissing of air for two hours my husband eventually got fed up with it and woke me up!

I then turned onto my side but found I couldn't breathe in at all through my nose. (I could only breathe through one side when lying on my back) I was once told I had nasal polyps. Might this have anything to do with it?

I abandoned the mask at that point and didn't get back to sleep again. I've had about three and a half hours sleep in total and for at least two of those the CPAP machine wouldn't have been benefiting me as I had my mouth open.

I'll get back to the clinic today and leave a message on their answering machine saying I need the full face mask which they also fitted me for yesterday. They have me down as an urgent case so hopefully it won't take too long to get it! šŸ˜€

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Re: Not a good first night

Post by Sleep2Snore » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:51 pm

If they have fitted you for one they should be able to send you one in the post.
If it is quicker, just pick it up.
Some clinics do not have full time staff in them though, so phone before you go if they do not contact you.
Why did they not give you a Full-faced mask? They must have known you were a mouth breather?
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Sarah
Sergeant Snorer

Post by Sarah » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:53 pm

I left a message on the sleep clinic's answering machine first thing this morning. I was told yesterday that this is the procedure as she can't answer the phone while dealing with patients. I haven't heard back.

I would happily pop in and exchange masks but can't do anything until I hear from them. The recorded message stated quite clearly that if you just turn up you will not be seen.

I sent my husband off with the mask this morning as he works right beside the hospital and could call in on my behalf, saving me an 18 mile journey each way.

She fitted me with both masks yesterday but I had to choose one or the other. Obviously I chose the wrong one but it was far more comfortable so I thought it was worth a try. I did tell her I tend to breathe through my mouth but she seemed to think the nasal mask would be okay. She noted down the details of the full face mask on my records in case I needed it.

All well, back to the waiting game. It's already been over 10 months since I first went to the doctor about this tiredness so I suppose I can wait a bit longer.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:12 pm

You could try a make shift Chin Strap by using a bandage to wrap one or twice round your head to keep your mouth closed, but if you can't breath through your nose this might not be a good idea.
Masks are the biggest problem area and I had quite a collection a while before I found one that I could use, so do not give up, even if the new one does not work for you there is other mask styles and types, thought it looks as if a Nasal mask is not going to work for you.
Let us know how you get on.
I hope your clinic keeps a few types as some clinics do not and it must be quite frustrating to be told that it is all they have.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Nuneatonman37
Captain Snorer

Post by Nuneatonman37 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:34 am

As my trusty friend say's you could make a chin strap to keep your mouth closed he suggests a bandage I suggest a pair of tights ... :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Yanks use a piece of masking tape over the mouth but I wouldn't use that method .
I do have a pair of fishnet tights if you would like to borrow them to try ..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would go for Resmed full face masks if your hospital use them there the dog's b@llocks !!!!

My first night on therapy my wife thought I had died - Put mask on and didn't move all night it was wonderful .

Anyway good luck and stick at it .

Regards,

NM37 .

Sarah
Sergeant Snorer

Post by Sarah » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:08 am

Thanks! I will.

Maybe not a good idea to strap my mouth shut if my nose is blocked. :shock:

They found me a suitable full face mask. I could have walked away with it. So frustrating.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:06 am

I am surprised they didn't advise you to take the Full-faced mask.
:?
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Sarah
Sergeant Snorer

Post by Sarah » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:07 pm

It was up to me to choose and I couldn't take both to try. I didn't realise I would have such difficulty with the nasal mask.

Still waiting to hear from them. :(

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:08 pm

Keep phoning every day.
They should at least have got back to you by now!
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Sarah
Sergeant Snorer

Post by Sarah » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:13 am

I'm not sure how quickly to expect them to reply. If they ring over the next couple of days I won't be in for the call. If I haven't heard by Thursday maybe I'll phone again.

The thing is, I'm supposed to send in the data card after two weeks and see the consultant two weeks after that to discuss the results. I've already been given the appointment with the consultant but if this delays everything by a week (or more) I won't be able to send in two weeks' worth of data in time which means postponing the appointment with the consultant too.

This will then delay the time when I can reapply for my driving licence, assuming therapy is effective. That has implications for work as the local work which I thought I had till summer is about to end and without a driving licence I won't be available to work further afield.

It gets complicated.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:49 pm

You really need to get this sorted as your results will depend on DVLA saying if you are allowed to drive. I know you said there is a bus right outside your door, but it is important you get good results before seeing the consultant. There is no point in sending in your data card if there is no results on it. You need to get this sorted asap. If you have not got a new mask by the end of this week you might be wasting the consultants time if there is no data worth while having on your card.
I would phone them right away and say "You can't use the mask they gave you as it is a Nasal Mask and you need to use a full-faced one. You have found that you need to breath through your mouth as your nose is found to block up when you lie down and you can't breath through a Nasal Mask. Therefor you can't use the machine until you get another mask, a Full-Faced one"
I would leave them the message in bold/red as it is important to do this as soon as possible.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:52 pm

You didn't know but they should have known you would need a Full-Faced mask.
Especially if you did a sleep study in hospital. :?
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Sarah
Sergeant Snorer

Post by Sarah » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:45 pm

I told them exactly that in my message. I don't know what more I can say.

(I did the sleep study at home, not in hospital.)

I'm actually considering sitting upright on the sofa tonight and using the nasal mask with making tape over my mouth. :lol:

Sarah
Sergeant Snorer

Post by Sarah » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:49 pm

I had the full face mask fitted and was shown how to use it. I don't need another appointment. All I need to do is collect it. The mask details have been noted on my records.

Nuneatonman37
Captain Snorer

Post by Nuneatonman37 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:01 pm

Hi again Sarah ,

If you private message me I have a Resmed Quattro Air full face mask that I will send you its new never used ,mask seal still in the packet you can have it if it helps you out of the current situation .

Regards,
NM37.