CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

Not a good first night

Talk about all aspects of sleep apnoea. Request help from others with the same problem, tell your story, exchange tips & techniques ..
Sarah
Sergeant Snorer

Re: Not a good first night

Post by Sarah » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:38 pm

Aw, that's kind of you! What a great forum this is. I do appreciate the support. :-D

I think I might try phoning again tomorrow, although if everyone leaves multiple messages no wonder they can't answer them. It's possible that my message hasn't been received for some reason.

Feeling mischievous now - perhaps if I say I'm considering borrowing equipment from a total stranger or possibly taping my mouth shut even though I have difficulty nose breathing, I'll get a quick response. What do you think? :twisted:

The alternative is to phone to rearrange the appointment with the consultant and explain why. At least on that number I will be able to speak to a human being who may be able to help.

I'll give it a couple more days, Nuneatonman, and see what happens. But thanks for the offer. :-D

Nuneatonman37
Captain Snorer

Post by Nuneatonman37 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:13 am

No problem Sarah its yours if you want it anyway let me know.

In my previous experiences with the NHS what you do is by pass the clinic number that your calling and what you do is find out who is the head of the sleep clinic department ,you then call them and complain that there running a crap service and your not happy usually works wonders when you do this .

Other options call the consultants secretary and explain the situation they are also good at getting problems sorted out .
Another option call the hospitals P.A.L.S (patient advisory liaison service) and moan to them about the poor response they can also pull strings .

I have fought the NHS many times over several things and always won so complaining about poor service is the right way .

Hope you get it sorted out ,

Best Wishes ,

NM37

Sarah
Sergeant Snorer

Post by Sarah » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:23 am

A friend also mentioned yesterday that I should speak to the consultant's secretary. Not sure how to get in touch but I'll try. After a lifetime of rarely going to the doctor this is all like a foreign country to me. :)

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:37 pm

Phone the hospitals main number and ask to speak to the Sleep Clinics Consultants secretary. If you are not put through just ask to speak to someone in the sleep clinic and tell them you have a mask that you can't use and because the mask can't be used you can't use the machine and are now getting desperate, you have left messages, but no one has got back to you.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Sarah
Sergeant Snorer

Post by Sarah » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:13 pm

I left another message on the answer phone this morning. What I hadn't noticed last time I phoned was that the rather lengthy message you have to listen to when you phone tells you to allow 72 hours if you are requesting equipment to allow them time to take it to reception for collection. Oops! :oops:

Still, the 72 hours is now up so if I haven't heard by tomorrow I'll try another number. I could be excused for phoning reception to ask if they have a mask for me to collect. If not, they may be able to make enquiries. Failing that I'll get the consultant's secretary's number.

Nuneatonman37
Captain Snorer

Post by Nuneatonman37 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:35 pm

I would just turn up at the sleep clinic and say I’m not leaving till someone gets me a mask ... end of story .

To get anything you need to shout !
The person who shouts loudest gets heard is the old saying .

Hence why my bedroom cupboard was like a cpap supply room .

Sarah
Sergeant Snorer

Post by Sarah » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:33 pm

:lol: I might have to borrow you, Nuneatonman!

Sarah
Sergeant Snorer

Post by Sarah » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:33 am

Result!!! I phoned reception and the receptionist went straight along to speak to the nurse. The mask is now waiting to be collected! 😃

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:57 pm

Sarah wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:33 pm
You don't want to borrow him, his wife will object! :shock:
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:58 pm

Sarah wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:33 am
Result!!! I phoned reception and the receptionist went straight along to speak to the nurse. The mask is now waiting to be collected! 😃
Persistence always pays. :D
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Sarah
Sergeant Snorer

Post by Sarah » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:16 pm

Sleep2Snore wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:57 pm
Sarah wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:33 pm
You don't want to borrow him, his wife will object! :shock:
Haha! I only wanted him to shout on my behalf as he is an expert in getting results. :lol:

Nuneatonman37
Captain Snorer

Post by Nuneatonman37 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:06 pm

I could have sorted out for you but my next day release is middle of March so it would have been a longer wait .. :lol: :lol: :lol:

My best victory over the NHS is for £13,569.00 for a private operation on my wife because they let her down very badly so I threatened them that I was taking the story to the national newspapers .
Within two days of sending the formal complaint she was being seen by a consultant privately and the following week in a private hospital for the operation.

All nicely paid up by them.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Good luck for tonight .

Must go now its lights out time .

Byeeeeeee,

Sarah
Sergeant Snorer

Post by Sarah » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:57 pm

Wow, that's impressive!

Thanks for the good wishes for tonight! :D

Sarah
Sergeant Snorer

Post by Sarah » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:54 am

Well! I had the most awful night with the face mask! :( Every time the pressure increased I woke up with the air blasting into my face and leaking out of the mask, pressure in my ears, cheeks like a hamster, stomach painfully bloated with air. I felt like a dog sticking its head out of a moving car. I'm sure my ears were flapping too! :lol: Nine times I was woken and had to switch off the machine for a moment to deflate myself.

I felt rough all day yesterday (dry mouth, blocked ears, uncomfortable sinuses, shaky, light-headed, full of air) so tried something different last night with impressive results

The two problems I'd had with the nasal mask were my nose blocking when I lay down, and not being able to keep my mouth shut so I tackled both of these. Sleep2Snore, I followed your suggestion of using a bandage as a chin strap, got rigged up like an Egyptian mummy and then made myself comfortable on the sofa so that I could sleep in an upright position using the nasal mask.

Wow! I fell asleep immediately and slept all night. I was totally unaware of the machine and wondered if it had even been working. I had a look at the data card results this morning and it shows an AHI of 1.66 and lots of uninterrupted sleep with no mask leaks. :D

I don't feel particularly rested as I wasn't lying down but the difference between those two nights couldn't have been greater. Not sure what the long-term answer is. I'm still experimenting.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:59 pm

That is a good start, you will not feel rested or find your get up and go for maybe a while.
However, if you can sleep like this, try sitting just a bit more elevated. You can get wedge shaped pillows for your bed (I have no idea where to get them) and some people like these.
If you need to play around with your sleep position, do so and if sleeping elevated in bed will work for you then so be it.
I don't know why you can't use the FFM? The machine should be regulating the pressure, however, you should avoid lying on your back, it allows the throat to close and the machine will try to open your throat by increasing the pressure. Sometimes when you get a leak, it is not the pressure that increases, it is the flow of air, this gives you the same impression though, that there is more pressure.
Try the nasal pillows, but elevated to the point where breathing is easy. I think you nose is giving you problems only when you lie down, so give it a go with a few pillows, though I suspect you will slide down anyway.
If you had a recliner chair, you could have tried it at various heights until you started to get a bit of trouble breathing, then put it a bit higher. Then you would know what height you needed to get a good nights sleep with nasal pillows.
Maybe you were not fitted for the FFM as well as you thought. You need to have it just tight enough to stop leaks, do not over tighten the mask as this will just hurt or make it leak even more. I had a cupboard full of masks before I found a mask that I could use every night. So keep trying and don't give up.

Sarah said: Sleep2Snore, I followed your suggestion of using a bandage as a chin strap, got rigged up like an Egyptian mummy and then made myself comfortable on the sofa so that I could sleep in an upright position using the nasal mask.

:lol: I have this picture in my head, but it is a good one! Well done, it is experiments like this that will lead you to a solution in the end. Can you walk like an Egyptian as well :D Try it again and pack yourself up with pillows. What sort of pressure did your machine get up to when you used the FFM?
You might not know. It might be worth downloading Sleepyhead to see for yourself how you are doing, though the Sleep Clinic will not like you changing any settings, you can at least know how you are doing. It will also let you know more about your treatment and how a change can affect you.
All the instructions are on the page and if you need help I will tell you where to go to find it.
Just drop me a PM and I will give you a link.
https://sleepyhead.jedimark.net/
Pop your data card into your computer and your data can be seen. BE CAREFUL: You can delete your data if you are not careful. The Sleep Clinic might not be to impressed :lol:

Good luck with your trial and error, I think you will get there, it will just take a bit of time for you to work it out. If you check your machine, it should tell you how well you are doing every night.
Though you might need to go into the clinicians menu to find out.
S2S - Sleep2Snore