CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

Not a good first night

Talk about all aspects of sleep apnoea. Request help from others with the same problem, tell your story, exchange tips & techniques ..
Sarah
Sergeant Snorer

Re: Not a good first night

Post by Sarah » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:07 pm

The clinic phoned today and are sending me another mask to try.

I gave myself away without thinking. When she asked how I was getting on I told her that last night's AHI was 0.2 ( how good is that compared to 45!!! :-D :-D :-D ). She didn't ask me how I knew my score but she must realise I've been looking at the data card. :D

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:34 pm

The machine will also tell you if you go into the clinicians menu.
So I woudn't worry about it.
It usually tells you how to get into it in the manual, if it doesn't just google it.
You are doing well though.

Right, I am away into hospital to see someone. :)
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Nuneatonman37
Captain Snorer

Post by Nuneatonman37 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:04 am

What machine do you have Sarah ?

If its Resmed machine I can send you a link for ResScan software download .

Let me know.

Regards,

Sarah
Sergeant Snorer

Post by Sarah » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:36 pm

I've been using SleepyHead to look at the data.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:57 pm

I have been getting 0.0 AHI for a week now by using a home made chin strap, much more rigid, though I can open my mouth if I really need to.
Just thought I would let you know.
If it is a ResMed10Autoset you have you should have the manual with it, but just in case.
All Documents:
https://www.resmed.com/us/en/commercial ... toset.html

Manual: .pdf
https://www.resmed.com/uk/dam/documents ... er_eng.pdf
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Sarah
Sergeant Snorer

Post by Sarah » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:22 pm

I have that manual, thanks.

I'm going to have to manage without the machine tonight. I'm streaming with the cold and can't breathe through my nose.

Swindonian
Lieutenant Snorer

Post by Swindonian » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:51 pm

I found the answer to coping with a streaming cold whilst on cpap, it is a very large full face mask called "FitLife Total Face CPAP Mask by Philips Respironics". It is extremely expensive but works wonderfully well and is the only mask I have found which truly allows you to mouth or nose breathe. It looks like a divers mask and amuses my grandchildren but worth every penny although it only gets used a few nights a year because it is heavier and larger than most, a great investment as previously I didn't dare to lay down and definitely not use a nasal mask.https://www.eu-pap.co.uk/fitlife-total-face-mask.html

Sarah
Sergeant Snorer

Post by Sarah » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:23 am

I see what you mean - it is a big mask! :D Obviously worth the investment if you're getting the benefit of it.

I'm almost tempted to use the full face mask tonight but I know it leaks like crazy. I've proper myself up and will give the nasal mask a try as I've stuck my head over some steam and that's improved things a bit. Tomorrow I'll get yet another mask to try - another full face - so hopefully it will be third time lucky.

Sarah
Sergeant Snorer

Post by Sarah » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:24 am

propped, not proper

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:24 pm

You could have just edited your post by clicking the pencil top right of your post (it is the one on the left of the three). :)
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Sarah
Sergeant Snorer

Post by Sarah » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:23 pm

I couldn't do that on my phone and as I was in bed I wasn't going to bother getting up, going downstairs and firing up the laptop. Call me lazy if you like! :lol:

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:44 pm

You mean we were all in bed with you :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think you can do it on your phone, unless you have a strange browser :)

How did it go last night with the cold Sarah?

I was woken up be the Oldest sons little monster jumping all over the bed at 3:15am and she insisted in talking to me most of the night, she did sleep for half an hour, so I go 2 and a 1/2 hours sleep last night.
Then I woke up to a lot of snow that had to be cleared and I only got 1/2 an hour after she went through to see the other half, who had went through to my sons bed when he went to work. She escaped the monster by doing that, but then she had work today and I don't :)

I had a week of 0.0 AHIs (combined) and yesterday my luck ran out and I had 0.1 AHI (combined) and today even with the nasal pillows leaking it was 0,0 AHI today again. But then for all the sleep I had, it is not surprising. It may have been with the leaks that the machine was just not picking any up.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Sarah
Sergeant Snorer

Post by Sarah » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:52 pm

Oh, rough night for you!

I resorted to the full face mask on Sunday night and it leaked a lot but I slept. Last night I tried the nasal mask again, thinking I could breathe enough through my nose but when I lay down the air was hardly getting through at all. It's not a nice feeling! So I took the mask off and thought I'd sit up in bed for a few minutes and see if things cleared otherwise I'd have to get up and change masks. Well, I fell asleep for at least an hour and a half, just sitting there! Eventually managed with the nasal mask for the rest of the night.

My data card has been dropped off at the clinic today by my husband for the consultant to look at the initial data. It's very mixed as I've been experimenting a lot but results are quite good I think and show that the CPAP is doing its job. Most of the so-called 'events' are actually being picked up while I'm still awake and are certainly not sleep apnoea. There are lovely long stretches of sleep with no activity whatsoever so let's hope he looks at the graphs and not just the AHI scores, although they are almost always below 5 which I understand is classed as normal?

How do you get scores of 0.0? Do you fall asleep instantly? I had been told that most people, even without a sleep apnoea diagnosis, have the occasional event so 0.0 is an unrealistic expectation. Impressive though!

Sarah
Sergeant Snorer

Post by Sarah » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:37 pm

I've found the edit symbol etc at the very top of the page, not at the top of the post. It seems to bring up the last post on the thread.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:44 pm

Experimenting with settings and a new machine and nasal pillows though the head grear I think they cut back to much on cost and spoiled what would have been excellent nasal pillows.
I just more or less took the low pressure a lot closer to the pressure I needed, I thing I am only 2 away from the max this machine has ever got up to so a lot of the apnoeas are caught before they start. I have a low of 11 and it is set to go max of 20, but has never gone above 13 so far. Not bad when I used to be on 18.
Mind you the old set up used to leak a lot, but it didn't affect me as any air went strait away across the room and away from me and not blow into my eyes or face. I am surprised I was not full or air at that constant pressure!
Just shows how the more modern machines are a lot more effective.
S2S - Sleep2Snore