CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

Not a good first night

Talk about all aspects of sleep apnoea. Request help from others with the same problem, tell your story, exchange tips & techniques ..
Sarah
Sergeant Snorer

Re: Not a good first night

Post by Sarah » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:30 pm

The pressure on mine has occasionally gone up to 20 when it's trying unsuccessfully to blast air into me. That wakes me up! Otherwise I'm not aware of the air in the nasal mask like I am with the face mask. It doesn't feel or sound as if anything is happening unless I lift the mask up. Very quiet. I like it but wish I could nose breathe better. I can't get much air in that way.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:03 pm

If you use nasal pillows, try the biggest ones first, then work down in size.
People often use to small a size and are starved of air or struggle to breath out.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Sarah
Sergeant Snorer

Post by Sarah » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:57 pm

Sleep2Snore wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:03 pm
If you use nasal pillows, try the biggest ones first, then work down in size.
People often use to small a size and are starved of air or struggle to breath out.
Thanks, yes. you told me that the other day.

Maybe I'll try the nasal pillows eventually but I'm waiting for a third mask to arrive. :D I'd better leave it a week or two before I ask for another one. :lol:

The clinic nurse phoned me last week and we discussed my problems with the face mask. She said she would give me another style to try and would also get a letter for me which I had asked for to let me travel on a plane with my CPAP. When my husband popped in to collect them, only the letter was there and he was told the mask had been posted out. Not sure why they did it that way but it hasn't arrived yet. Mind you, there's been no mail delivery today presumably because of the snow.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:00 pm

Here they try to save on postage by asking if you or someone else can come in and collect them. All they do is ask who will be collecting them and then they have got a name and it is a check as they have to know your name and also be the name that is supposed to collect the parts, if things don't match you don't get them.
Mind you, when I was with Edinburgh I was glad to have parts posted out, it was one hell of a drive to get down there and a very early morning.

Hope your mask arrives soon, I wouldn't bother about asking for another mask, I had a cupboard full of them within two years, then I got Nasal Pillows, and I only needed parts after that, and they did need a few parts as they were designed to fail. Head gear and the brittle plastic bend and nasal shells broke all the time. The pillows themselves only gave up once in 20 years + They improved the headgear and made twice as bad :lol: the other parts they never tried to improve, but they must have tried as there were two sizes that would not quite fit together, just a slight change in size, but they would pop apart as soon as you started to use them, so I ended up with a load of spares for them, as I had to keep ordering them so they would fit together,
I had three sets in the end, then they stopped supplying them here, so I got all the spares they had left.
I was beginning to struggle with parts as they were all taped together and home made headgear when they gave me a new machine and a new Nasal Mask. Both very quiet to what I am used to. It was to quiet for a start and I couldn't sleep. When I did sleep the other half would nudge me just to check I was still alive and that the machine was running.
Another night of 0.0 8)
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Sarah
Sergeant Snorer

Post by Sarah » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:11 pm

i was 0.39 last night which I'm very happy with. It was also the most comfortable night's sleep I've had since I started. :D

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:55 pm

It does take a while to get used to it.
Good numbers that.

My sleep was crap last night, 0.4 and I think it is due to the chin strap starting to give up the ghost.
I think I will just have to make one myself, one that will not stretch.
NO, I am not going to wrap myself up like a Egyptian Mummy :lol:
I woke up on my back with air leaking out my mouth and my mouth was so dry I couldn't stop it leaking.
So back to the old stretchy chin strap tonight, it will slip off at some point during the night :( and up will go my numbers! :(
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Sarah
Sergeant Snorer

Post by Sarah » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:56 pm

Sleep2Snore wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:55 pm
It does take a while to get used to it.
Good numbers that.

My sleep was crap last night, 0.4 and I think it is due to the chin strap starting to give up the ghost.
I think I will just have to make one myself, one that will not stretch.
NO, I am not going to wrap myself up like a Egyptian Mummy :lol:
I woke up on my back with air leaking out my mouth and my mouth was so dry I couldn't stop it leaking.
So back to the old stretchy chin strap tonight, it will slip off at some point during the night :( and up will go my numbers! :(
Even a new chin strap doesn't stop my mouth opening, however tightly I strap it.

I'm supposed to be getting a different style of full face mask to try, but it seems to have got lost in the system. The latest explanation is that I definitely collected it from them eight days before the nurse issued it! I tried pointing out the total lack of logic in this explanation but apparently it must have happened because that's what their notes say! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've even had the consultant running round trying to get hold of a mask for me. Nice man - he's signed the form that lets me reapply for my driving licence! :D

Sarah
Sergeant Snorer

Post by Sarah » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:03 pm

The saga goes on! The clinic has finally issued another mask, my husband brought it home - it's the one I've already got! The one which leaks, not the alternative style the nurse said she would give me to replace it! They don't know if it's Tuesday or Timbuctoo! :(

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:48 pm

Oh they do know, it is called The Runaround, but it will keep you fit :lol:
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Sarah
Sergeant Snorer

Post by Sarah » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:40 pm

Haha! Yes! :lol:

Mystery solved. The nurse was waylaid as she was about to set aside a mask for me and forgot to get back to it.

So when they told me it had been posted out or that I'd already collected it, that was all guesswork. :o

I went in this afternoon and spent an hour trying every mask they have! The nurse decided the one I already have is a better fit than any of the others and gave me some tips on fitting it. I don't know why I had such trouble with leaks but I'll have to give it another try.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:33 am

You should have taken the machine with you and tried them lying down, lying down in impotent as your face changes shape when you lie down. Despite this they always try people with masks when they are standing up or sitting! If you try masks again, take your machine with you and lay down and fire the machine up, it will give you better results.
It is so quiet in this house I can hear the blood in my ears! :lol:
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Sarah
Sergeant Snorer

Post by Sarah » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:11 pm

She apparently expected me to bring my machine in but as she hadn't told me to I didn't have it with me.

She found a machine to connect the masks to and I tried a mask fit with each one. She also got me to put my head to each side, resting on my hand, as if I was lying on a pillow, tip my head backwards, waggle my jaw up and down and so on.

I used the full face mask last night and this time managed to fit it without leaks, so my lesson wasn't wasted. However, I had such a sore nose this morning on the bridge of the nose even though the top of the mask hadn't been pressing on it when I went to bed.

AHI was up to 2.42 though. It's been below 1 for a while now with the nasal mask. I feel tired too - I've just fallen asleep on the sofa. I thought I wasn't supposed to be doing that any more! With CPAP I am aware of waking up through the night every now and again and being more aware of things happening, especially what's going on with the mask. I used to sleep like a log. Well, at least I'm breathing through the night now!

Why was your house so quiet?

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:53 pm

It will come in the end, I have taken steps backwards for now due to being ill, but I hope to get back on form after I get over it finally.
It is common to tighten the mask to tight at the bridge of the nose, in fact I had my one so tight it cut me quite deeply. :(
S2S - Sleep2Snore

CPAPPED
Private Snorer

Post by CPAPPED » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:58 pm

Hi there

I was given my resmed 10 machine and full face mask 2 weeks ago and still trying to get used to it and felt really tired today like heavy headed. I have problems with the mask leaking as well and also had the sore bridge of the nose which has now healed after using plasters at night.

I was hoping that my partner would be able to stay in the same room for once but she said the machine was too loud and ended up in the spare room, if its not my snoring it the machine LOL.

Sarah
Sergeant Snorer

Post by Sarah » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:26 pm

Hope you're better soon!

I keep the top straps fairly loose but have to tighten the bottom ones so much to stop leaks around the lower edge and this pulls the mask into the face. The nose sticks out furthest so it gets the pressure. Not a good seal around the lower jaw. I've decided it must just be my shape.

Went back to the nasal mask last night - what a difference! It's so light and comfortable, I hardly have to tighten anything. I also used my new Transcend travel, battery CPAP and it worked quite well. I'm all set to go camping now! :D