CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

Mandiublar Advancement Device

Talk about all aspects of sleep apnoea. Request help from others with the same problem, tell your story, exchange tips & techniques ..

Mandiublar Advancement Device

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:16 pm

Hi all,

Can anyone help in regards to recommendations for an alternative to CPAP?
I was issued with a CPAP machine from the hospital back in December 2017 and I am not getting on with it at all, the most amount of sleep I get is around 2 hours. I wake up with a sore throat to the point I cannot swallow, I already have a humidifier and this doesn't seem to make any difference.

I have seen online that Mandibular Advancement Devices are used for sleep apnea and snoring, would this be an alternative that anyone here would recommend? If yes would it be possible to provide me with some links please, to the products that work well?

Thanks.

Nuneatonman37
Captain Snorer

Re: Mandiublar Advancement Device

Post by Nuneatonman37 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:12 am

M.A.D are only recommended for mild apnoea so depending what level of osa you have it could be useless ?

You say that you have a humidifier is it set to it's highest temp setting ?
You need a warm moist air to be coming through the tube into the mask that way you will never wake with a sore throat .
Cpap therapy is the gold standard treatment for osa and switching to m.a.d could comprise your health .

If your under a sleep clinic I would get an appointment to discuss your problems I'm sure they can sort it out without a doubt .

Kind Regards,

NM37.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:19 pm

Hi Guest,
It is better if you creat an account here with a user name so we know who we are talking to, there are to many Guests. That being said, let us see if we can help you in any way.

It would help if we know the machine you have (cpcp or apap) the pressure you are on, and the mask type and model (if known, don't worry if you do not know) and any other details you can think of.

Depending on the machine etc we might get you a bit more comfortable when sleeping etc.

However, you have just asked if there is anything you can use other than a CPAP machine.
The short answer is yes, but that will depend on you sleep study results, i.e. if you were:

mild – an AHI reading of 5 to 14 episodes an hour
moderate – an AHI reading of 15 to 30 episodes an hour
severe – an AHI reading of more than 30 episodes an hour

Only mild can be treated with a MAD device that holds your lower jaw forward, however a lot of people complain of a lot of pain until they get used to it, this does take some time to get used to.
There is also a device that can hold the tongue forward, but I have not tried this device and a lot of people complain of dribbling out of the corner of the mouth until they get used to them. However, this device might have a limited success i.e. if it were just the tongue that was causing the restriction in your throat and nothing else it might work, but it will not be very dignified when sleeping (though this might not bother you) but I have concerns about these, you could bite your tongue quite badly though you do have the silicone between your teeth and your tongue. These might work for up to moderate but I don't think it might be be all that good if you were severe, though I have not met anyone that uses one, it might be ok for temporary use but I don't know if it would be good for using all the time. They are also very expensive for what they are.

Your other option is surgery, but this is not recommanded for various reasons. It can be very painful after surgery, and the skin I am told does grow back (it would be the only thing that does grow back would it?) so it has limited success. If you look through the forums (all forums) you will find many stories of people with lots of pain, sometimes a long time after and what they say is:
Lots of pain after surgery.
Pain and infection after the surgery.
Pain for a long time after with repeated infections.
Only limited success after surgery and still have to use cpap machine.
After a while the sleep apnoea returned as bad as ever.
It only helped a bit but with all the pain involved they would recommend it unless you are desperate.

Now having said this there are some that have said it was successful. However, they said this not long after the surgery had been done and the infections and discomfort had just passed. Very few ever come back to say if it has still been successful after some time has passed. Al I know is that some say it only lasted for a while before they had to go back to using their cpap machines. They do however say that it has helped in lowering the pressure the machine had to be to keep their airways clear.

Really, the best option is to use your cpcp machine and try to get over the problems you are getting.

Here are some videos you should have a look at:

https://youtu.be/cHj7EsjSvVk
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:21 pm

I had to split this due to the links I posted. This is due to trying to fight spammers.

https://youtu.be/yG1WjOxdack

https://youtu.be/oMNIwVYaKiU
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:22 pm

https://youtu.be/Hn76lRebzss

https://youtu.be/3geaVLtuenM This is about leaks and sore throats etc.

https://youtu.be/1G8ZMGJb6tg this might be the best tongue device, but I don't know anyone that uses it every might. All these devices have limited success.

The best option by far is a CPAP or APAP machine and a good mask, this is the hardest bit. Getting the right pressure is also important, it is best with an APAP machine. You can download Sleepyhead software to see what is going on with your treatment. Although you may or may not have had a sleep study done in the hospital, it is only for one night usually and you do not sleep all that well usually. If you had a study done at home, it is not that accurate and if it was for one night you may not have slept all that well, so the results will be limited. Download sleepyhead and see what is going on https://sleepyhead.jedimark.net/?TestingVersions all instructions are on the page or linked to it. If you register I can after you do a few posts tell you where you can get help reading your sleepyhead data. If you have a modern machine with a data card.

Your xpap machine should be working for you, if it isn't there is a problem with it or some other problem that might be easy to get over. You Sleep Clinic should be able to help you, I would not be slow in contacting them for help, that is what they are there for and some of the urses at some of the clinics are well informed and might be able to help. Not all clinics are so good, so if you still have problems please come back so we can try to help.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:23 pm

Dan sometimes you do make my life difficult! :lol:

Dan is the Admin for this forum, posting a few links cause problems :?
S2S - Sleep2Snore