Find the type of snorer you are.
CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

Newly diagnosed OSA - HELP with understanding sleepyhead results !!

Talk about all aspects of sleep apnoea. Request help from others with the same problem, tell your story, exchange tips & techniques ..
Gumball
Private Snorer

Newly diagnosed OSA - HELP with understanding sleepyhead results !!

Post by Gumball » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:57 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm newly diagnosed to apnoea, specifically OSA from an overnight sleep study that came back with an AHI of 7 and for Oxygen Desaturation Index(?) - 8).
I've been on CPAP treatment, RESMED Airsense 10 Elite, for the last 12 days and have an average AHI of 4.18 which I'm pleased with but have had two spikes of 8.45 and last night a 7.59 which is a little worrying not being able to fully understand the data.....
When I interrogate the sleepyhead software, the pie-chart details last night as :
Clear Airway - 3.91 (33 events)
Obstructive - 2.02 (17 events)
Unclassified - 0.00 (0 events)
Hypopnoea - 1.66 (14 events)

A few questions....
What causes the CA's ?
How do I reduce them ?

I can't see any permission for attaching screen shots so until I can any help is appreciated.....

Thanks

MichaelAntig
Private Snorer

Newly diagnosed OSA HELP with understanding sleepyhead results

Post by MichaelAntig » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:12 am

Hello everyone

I have been diagnosed with severe OSA with 50 Oxygen Desaturation Events happening per hour. All apnea episodes are Obstructive in nature.
Doctor has given a choice of 2 options: CPAP or Surgery

I am overweight. 84 kgs for a height of 56.

Ive been feeling so sleepy in the day lately that my doctor has prescribed upto 200mg of Modafinil to tackle the daytime sleepiness.

My job is coming up in a month or so and I need to get in shape.

Please advise.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Re: Newly diagnosed OSA - HELP with understanding sleepyhead results !!

Post by Sleep2Snore » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:47 pm

Gumball wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:57 pm
[iHi everyone,
I'm newly diagnosed to apnoea, specifically OSA from an overnight sleep study that came back with an AHI of 7 and for Oxygen Desaturation Index(?) - 8).
I've been on CPAP treatment, RESMED Airsense 10 Elite, for the last 12 days and have an average AHI of 4.18 which I'm pleased with but have had two spikes of 8.45 and last night a 7.59 which is a little worrying not being able to fully understand the data.....
When I interrogate the sleepyhead software, the pie-chart details last night as :
Clear Airway - 3.91 (33 events)
Obstructive - 2.02 (17 events)
Unclassified - 0.00 (0 events)
Hypopnoea - 1.66 (14 events)

A few questions....
What causes the CA's ?
How do I reduce them ?

I can't see any permission for attaching screen shots so until I can any help is appreciated.....

Thanks
Ok, Obstructive is when for some reason your throat gets obstructed, either your throat collapses or your tongue falls back into your throat closing your airway.
That is the easy one!

CA (Clear airways or Central Apnoea) is when you stop breathing, your airways are clear, it is usually the brain that forgets to send a signal to breathe. However, turning on Expiry Relief, or what ever they call it on your machine, it drops the pressure on your machine when you breathe out, this make it a lot easier to breathe out and can drop the amount of events you have, however, it depends on the pressure and how sensitive you are to having these. If you have just starting to use your machine, try turn on the Pressure relief (EPR) on your machine, the less you need the better, but if you need 3 you need it. Wait a while to see if CAs drop off, fine. If they get worse, turn it off again. If these CA events continue you might need an ASV or other machine that are designed to help with these. But they will not give you one until you try the machine you are on first. If you are on the NHS you might have a fight on your hands.
The EPR is the first course of action, but if you are now to CPAP they might stop by themselves, some people get a lot of them at the start of treatment. To turn EPR on you will need to get into the clinicians menu. Depending on your machine will depend how you do this. If you have a ResMed it will be in the handbook.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Re: Newly diagnosed OSA HELP with understanding sleepyhead results

Post by Sleep2Snore » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:09 pm

MichaelAntig wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:12 am
Hello everyone

I have been diagnosed with severe OSA with 50 Oxygen Desaturation Events happening per hour. All apnea episodes are Obstructive in nature.
Doctor has given a choice of 2 options: CPAP or Surgery

I am overweight. 84 kgs for a height of 56.

Ive been feeling so sleepy in the day lately that my doctor has prescribed upto 200mg of Modafinil to tackle the daytime sleepiness.

My job is coming up in a month or so and I need to get in shape.

Please advise.
Hijacking someone else's thread is not good.
However, you have left things a bit late to get in shape!
I would avoid surgery if I were you. Some people say it works, but it is not long lasting and it can be very painful, not just after the surgery, but it is very prone to infection.
If you can get one get a second hand APAP machine like a ResMed Airsense10 Autosense or a Resperonics Dreamstation APAP. Masks and hoses might still have to be bought. Other and maybe the best way is to go private, buy be careful, there are sharks out there.
You can also hire a machine, but to be honest it is quite costly and it is not long before you get to the cost of a new machine. If it is just for a stop gap before you get an NHS machine, ask here (on the main site) or look for APAP hire. In any case, getting a mask to fit will be the hardest part.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Re: Newly diagnosed OSA - HELP with understanding sleepyhead results !!

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:24 pm

I was diagnosed two years ago with OSA, over 100 stop breathing episodes an hour, and oxygen levels on n critical level.
I was so tired that I could not function, work, leisure, anything. Life went on full pelt around me and I felt as if I was living life in slo-mo, in a bubble.
Looking back, I had been like this for years. Docs said my extreme tiredness was depression and gave me tablets, which made me sleepier.
Then, after pushing, I had a sleep test and was diagnosed.
It has changed my life!! That is an understatement.
IU have worn the mask EVERY night, love it - I do not notice it even. I have an AHI (non breathing episodes) of less than 5 an hour and feel like a recycled teenager.
Persevere, some people do take time to adjust, and talk to people, especially the clinic that diagnosed you.