CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

First night + results: Would welcome your opinions

Talk about all aspects of sleep apnoea. Request help from others with the same problem, tell your story, exchange tips & techniques ..
JStav86
Private Snorer

First night + results: Would welcome your opinions

Post by JStav86 » Fri May 25, 2018 12:24 pm

HI all,

Thought I would finally join up to a forum due to as it stands, I'm feeling massively overwhelmed and not 100% sure if I'm doing everything right! After about 2 years of tiredness, needing to take naps after work and then finally to the point i was constantly falling asleep at work I visited a consultant and had a resmed home test done. The result was an AHI of 78. I've been waiting months and months to get some help through the NHS and at the time of writing this still isn't forthcoming.

I eventually bit the bullet and bought my own equipment which is as follows:

Philips Dreamstation auto cpap
Philips Dreamstation humidifier
Philips heated tube
Philips Amari view face mask

I have absolutely no one to guide me on what settings to use with the machine so have set it to the below:

A-flex
Flex 3
Auto ramp
Humidity on at 3

My first time using it last night and it really wasn't the best. I woke up numerous times with air blasting through the nasal section leaking out and the feeling was really really strange to get used to when breathing against pressure.So yes a lot of broken sleep! I noticed the machine never turned off when i took the mask off to re-adjust so i had air blowing in my face in the pitch black whilst i struggled to adjust. I assumed the mask auto started when i breathed and auto stopped when i took it off? My legs, joints are also aching really bad, although no idea if this is related at all! I've woke up today absolutely shattered still but have dowbnloaded my results which are as below:

Total hours therapy 5.26
Min pressure 4 cmH2O
Max Pressure 20 cmH2O
90% pressure: 16 cmH2O
Device Mode: AutoCPAPwithAFlex

AHI - 27.9
Total clear airway apneas: 29
total obstructive apneas: 112
Total hypopneas: 11

Mask fit: 100%
total disconnects: 14
Large leak time: 0:00 hours
% of night in large leak: 0.00%

Could could someone kindly look at the above and help me make sense of this? I'm not sure how i can have a mask fit of 100% when i woke up with air blasting out of leaks around the nasal section? Obviously i can see there's been an improvement however it was still a pretty overwhelming experience. I'm kind of lust and puzzled as I have no support or guidance, what i should be doing to get my numbers better etc. I'm going to adjust the mask for tonights sleep which should hopefully help a bit. Is there anything else I should be doing?

Many thanks in advance!

JStav86

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Re: First night + results: Would welcome your opinions

Post by Sleep2Snore » Sat May 26, 2018 7:49 pm

Hi JStav86, welcome to the forum.

Ok, it might be a mixture of good and bad news, I would like to have seen some data, but going by what you have posted you have complex Sleep Apnoea.
Normally I would expect to see mostly Obstructive Events, but you have a lot of Clear Airway events as well.
You should download Sleepyhead https://sleepyhead.jedimark.net/?TestingVersions and see what is going on. Instructions are on the page, but if you need help and you well might want some help I can help with that.
However, you do have a lot of CA events and with the numbers you are getting you might require another type of machine, we shall see how things go.
Meantime you appear not to have enough pressure to clear OSA events, but without data it is hard to advise.
I would put the minimum to 8 and leave the machine to find where it wants to be with the higher pressure, in other words set it to 20.
Let's see how that goes before we try anything else.
On the positive side, you have taken steps to do something and not wait for the NHS.

Ok, I have looked at your results again, it might not be quite so bad as it looks, the machine is set to min 4, this is far to low as by the time a Dreamstation reacts to an apnoea it has already happened for a while.
Set it to 8 min pressure and we will see how that goes.
It might take a few nights for a result, so don't panic.
By the way, it will take a few days for your posts to appear until you have posted a few, so feel free to post to clear this restriction. It is there to stop spam. After you make a few posts they will appear quickly and there will be no delay.
You might need more than 8 of a low pressure, but I would rather see how it goes than give you to much pressure.
How high is the pressure getting up to at the moment?
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Sat May 26, 2018 7:54 pm

You may need 10 or 12 or a low pressure if 16 is your 90% but wait to see how your apnoea comes down.
Keep an eye on your CA apnoea, we do not want it to go up to much.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:11 am

Hi and many thanks for your response it's greatly appreciated.

I've done some research and I do seem to be suffering from complex since i started using this machine. Apparently this can happen as a response to CPAP therapy? My AHI seems to have ranged from about 25 to 3.2 over the last week which is quite a big jump and also confusing?

My 90% pressure seems to be in the area of 16 - 17.5 region. I'm currently using the auto ramp feature, should i set the minimum to a bit higher and then the autoramp will kick in at the new set minimum value? I can normally fall asleep within about 15 minutes so after that whatever the pressure starts at would be irrelevant to me.

I'm also swapping masks as the amari view isn't a great fit for me so I'm going on to try the F20 by Resmed.

I'll get sleepyhead downloaded and post some more results on here. Once again thanks for your response, it's nice to not feel so isolated dealing with this!

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:16 pm

The open airways sometimes die down, that is why I said to wait to see what happens.
Whatever you do, make minor adjustments and don't shift the pressures all over the place and don't complicate things by changing masks.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:18 pm

Thanks for the response.

I changed the minimum pressure to 12 last night and had a good nights sleep. Results are as follows:

AHI 10.2
CAA - 26
OA - 34
Hyp - 25
min presure - 12
Max pressure - 20
90% pressure - 13

I've changed mask as I'm constantly being woken up by a poor fit from the amari around the nose section, it's not a good fit for me.

I'm still concerned about the amount of CAA's I'm having, however I'll try and upload some sleepyhead data soon. Many thanks!

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:12 pm

If it is not turned on, try turning on the EPR or whatever else they call it on some machines to give you less pressure when you breath out. See what effect this has on CA events, it may make it better, might make it worse. Let us know. Put it onto 3.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

MichaelAntig
Private Snorer

First night results Would welcome your opinions

Post by MichaelAntig » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:48 am

I figured I would start a thread on the fairly new Res Med ASV/VPAP. It is a newer type of therapy and I was wondering who out there is using? Do you like it? Any helpfull tips?