CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

Over night test

Talk about all aspects of sleep apnoea. Request help from others with the same problem, tell your story, exchange tips & techniques ..
Toetaylor
Private Snorer

Over night test

Post by Toetaylor » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:27 am

I am new to this board. A little bit of history. I’ve been exhausted for years, I’ve always put it down to not sleeping enough doing shifts etc. But over the last 4 years I’ve pilled the weight on and have got to the point where I feel completely zapped all the time. So went for all sorts of test, which all came back clear. So now I am being tested for sleep apnea. So Still in the diagnostic stage at present. While resting I was at around 94%\95% oxygen in my blood. Now last night I undertook the oxygen test. Now I woke up 3 times in the night with the machine giving 74%, 78% and 80% readings and tbh now I am kinda confused as to how bad this actually is. Just wondering if anyone could shed some light on how bad it actually is.
I am due to take the results back in on Monday morning. But my next visit isn’t until the beginning of August.
Do I need to be worried?

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Re: Over night test

Post by Sleep2Snore » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:45 pm

If it drops below 80% you do need to get it sorted ASAP.
Looks as though you have some sort of Sleep Apnoea, most likely OSA (Obstructive Sleep Apnoea) as this is the one that comes with weight gain. A large collar size is a good indication as well, going to the toilet a lot more during the night, fuzzy head in the morning, headaches, fatigue during the day, high blood pressure as well. Also diabetes can quickly follow.
You can help yourself by loosing the weight, cut the portion sizes down and instead of sitting in front of the TV, get up and walk a lot quicker than you would and swing your arms. This will burn calories instead of putting them on, also watch what you eat. I know it is very hard when you are so tired, but don't kid yourself, if you drive you are getting to the point where you are dangerous on the road, so if you don't have to drive don't.
If you drink the high energy drinks, drink the ZERO (no sugar) ones instead. Not a lot of taste change, but a lot less sugar.
I would phone the clinic and say you will attend a cancellation and attend at short notice if you are able to, you will just get more fatigued every day and you will notice at the end of every week you are feeling worse.
Even above 80% is not all that good. I reckon you have gone from a mild to severe case of Sleep Apnoea.
The ball is in your court now, sit back and get worse or get up out of your chair and do something. You do not need to go to a gym, just eat less and walk as quickly as you can and do not over do it.
Or, you can do worse than join a Slimmers World and eat their meal packs that are sold in big supermarkets now or just follow their diet, which you will not feel hungry on. This would mean you attending every week to be weighed, but it will encourage you to do something. A member of this forum, not around so much now as he lost so much weight he no longer suffers from Sleep Apnoea went to a slimming club and just followed what they allowed you to eat. So it can be done and if he can do it so can you.
Otherwise, you face a future with a machine and a mask stuck on your face every night. There is worse things and I love my machine, but there is times when I wish I could leave it at home, but it has to go everywhere I go.
If you are desperate, you can buy a APAP (Automatic) machine second hand, but you will need a hose and an expensive mask, which you may need a few of until you get one that fits. The APAP will set up its own high pressure, but you are best to set the low, if you do buy one, just ask, but buy either a ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset or a Resperonics Auto Dreamstation. Make sure it has not to many run hours on it.
You can not buy a new one without a prescription and you will not find a second hand one on Ebay, but might on Amazon
If you do this you can wait for an NHS machine as the machine will need parts, filters, replacement masks etc, not a cheap option to buy. But if you want the fatigue to go quickly before August. Mind you that is only two months away.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:05 pm

Have you thought of getting yourself an oral device (mandibular advancement device) to help while you are being investigated?
It can be more tolerable than CPAP for some patients
Www.bsdsm.co.uk
Find a trained dentist or send an enquiry

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:10 pm

It wouldn't be worth the money until he get the results as it does not suit everyone and I think he may be severe OSA and if he is it will not work, it usually only works on Mild cases.
However, I did notice that the devices that hold your tongue forward and therefore help keep your throat clear can be bought from Chinese sellers for a few pounds rather than almost £100 from the manufacturer, don't know how good these would be, but might be worth a try. They fit onto the end of your tongue and a vacuum hold it on (suction when your tongue tries to escape it), this keeps your tongue sticking out and should help keep your tongue from dropping back into the back of your throat and restricting your airways. They do tend to make you dribble for a while until you get used to them and I don't know how good these would be, but from Ebay at a few quid might be worth a punt if they ever arrive!
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:12 pm

ToeTaylor, if you are trying to reply and your post does not appear, do not panic, it will.
Just you are a new user and it is monitored at the start for a few posts.
S2S - Sleep2Snore