Find the type of snorer you are.
CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

Do I need to tell the DVLA I have sleep apnoea?

Talk about all aspects of sleep apnoea. Request help from others with the same problem, tell your story, exchange tips & techniques ..
irvo63

Re: Do I need to tell the DVLA I have sleep apnoea?

Post by irvo63 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:23 pm

Ceejay / Saturdaynight many thanks for response but still none the wiser. I was told by my doctor today that my diagnosis means i must use CPAP if i continue to drive based solely on the AHI score.
however please see copy below:

Can I continue to drive with OSA?

This will depend on the severity of the symptoms and how they impact on your driving. If you simply have OSA, i.e. no daytime sleepiness sufficient to impair driving, you can continue to drive and do not need to inform the DVLA.

I have notified both DVLA and my insurance company but if the above is true why i am i being pressured to using CPAP?

Since diagnosis my lifestyle, sleep and exercise have improved and i want to continue with this method rather than a machine unless my condition gets worse and i need too then of course i will use it, but until then i would like to keep that option open.

So can i continue with my current regime or must i use CPAP?

Cheers

Steve.

ceejayblue
Major Snorer

Post by ceejayblue » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:05 pm

I'm sorry but you were right to inform the DVLA and your insurers - otherwise you will be fined and you have to prove to them (regardless of whether you think you don't have any daytime sleepiness) that you are controlling the sleep apnoea. I was learning to drive when I first was diagnosed and I didn't think I had daytime sleepiness apart from when in meetings or sitting watching TV as I'd accepted that as a norm for years. However, I failed my driving test twice before diagnosis and going on the CPAP (in fact it made me decide to stop driving altogether!) because my concentration was shot. After my sleep study they found I was stopping breathing 60 times an hour and sometimes for up to 59secs! I had no idea so you may well not be aware of just how bad you are.

It was the same at work, I had no capacity to think straight in stressful situations and my work suffered. All this was happening slowly but surely over a number of years and added to this was the waking up in the night when the adrenalin kicks in and having a sudden urge to go to the loo. All this puts strain on your kidneys and your heart. You may think you are OK now, but getting my CPAP changed my life and I know that if I couldn't use it for any reason (one machine broke and I had to wait two days before the clinic was able to give me a new one - I don't know how I survived the two days without it.)

The fact that you say you have severe OSA and your consultant has recommended a CPAP because of your AHI is 70 means that you should use a CPAP machine, its not attractive or the most comfortable thing to sleep in, but it is a lifesaver.

Roguebear

Post by Roguebear » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:10 pm

I only came across this site by accident and I have been using a CPAP machine with a humidifier for close on 5 years now (and anyone that doesn't have one, get one it will make life easier)

Another tip that I would recommend to users is CPAP mask wipes, they not only get rid of any skin oil on the silicon but also smell nice when its time to don the mask again.

I have noticed a lot of people say they get sleepy during the day and I do as well but this is not down to my CPAP machine but the number of painkillers that I have to take for Psoriatic athritis and Polymyalgia Rheumatica if that is how you spell it! After discussing with my Dr she told me that all painkillers make you sleepy so if you have any other ailments and take painkillers that could be the culprit.

I never had any idea that I had a problem with sleep until i was sent for a sleep test and found out that in a 4 hour period I had stopped breathing and woken up 56 times! frankly I was shocked as I am sure many others have been.

I know all this is slightly off topic, and for that I apologise.

The point is neither my consultant, my GP or when I go for an appraisal and download of data from the CPAP machine, no one has ever mentioned informing the DVLA.

Now I am worried to and worried not to!

ceejayblue
Major Snorer

Post by ceejayblue » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:18 pm

You must inform the DVLA, its an offence not to and you could be fined £1000 if you haven't. Also, you must inform your car insurer, again if you have an accident and you've not told them your insurance could be void. Don't forget to inform travel insurers too.

However, you shouldn't be worried about informing people. I don't drive (gave up because I failed the test 4 times!) but I was having lessons when I was diagnosed and because I had got a CPAP machine and my OSA was under control they let me keep my license. I informed my car insurers at the time and they didn't up my premium, just made a note on my file. As for travel insurance, it did make a slight difference the first year but since then I've changed insurers and I just add it to the list of pre-existing conditions that I have and it now makes no difference to the premiums.

I do think that your doctors were seriously at fault for not informing you that you had to inform the DVLA, one of the Epworth form questions I get asked at every yearly check is "Do you drop off in a car when at a stop at traffic lights or in heavy traffic?" My answer is always no, because I don't drive, but if you do drive you have to be up front and inform everyone you need to.

tricia190

Post by tricia190 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:40 pm

Irvo63 :
Since diagnosis my lifestyle, sleep and exercise have improved and i want to continue with this method rather than a machine unless my condition gets worse and i need too then of course i will use it, but until then i would like to keep that option open.

So can i continue with my current regime or must i use CPAP?

Hi Steve
I am interested to know what is this alternative regime you are following ? I have also been recently diagnosed and this is all new to me. I have tried for the last 4 nights to use the Cpap machine and it is not helping with my throat problem at all . Would be interesting to know of any other treatments available as the hospital have only suggested Cpap.. Thanks Pat.

ceejayblue
Major Snorer

Post by ceejayblue » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:51 pm

You have to use clap or you will lose your Driving license e and your ad insurance will be void.

Tigger81

Post by Tigger81 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:52 pm

Hey everyone,

Has anyone on here informed the DVLA a long time (years) after they were diagnosed with Sleep Apnoea and, what was the outcome if they did, ie; were they fined for leaving it so long or were the DVLA ok about it?

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers,

Tigger

ceejayblue
Major Snorer

Post by ceejayblue » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:10 pm

No I told them and my insurers right away as I didn't want a fine or my insurance to be invalid. Sorry but I believe its irresponsible not to tell them.

Tigger81

Post by Tigger81 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:42 am

With all due respect, I wasn't asking whether or not anyone on here viewed non disclosure as irresponsible. I'm well aware it's an irresponsible thing to do, but thats not why I posted here.

ceejayblue
Major Snorer

Post by ceejayblue » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:54 am

Sorry but it sounded like you were saying that you havent told the dvla yet. I would hope everyone would tell the dvla immediately.

Tigger81

Post by Tigger81 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:05 am

That's okay no need to be sorry. Anyone who has Sleep Apnoea should tell the DVLA immediately, I totally agree. My original post did actually have a specific question though.

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:39 pm

Tigger81 wrote:That's okay no need to be sorry. Anyone who has Sleep Apnoea should tell the DVLA immediately, I totally agree. My original post did actually have a specific question though.
Not going into specifics but based upon my experience no. Get caught by the police or worse still involved in a car accident and you are found to have OSA and u have not disclosed them a 1000 fine will be the least of anybody's concern. If you approach them and declare it then for me at least there was no issues and there are a few other posts on other threads that have had a similar experience

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:39 pm

Yes you do otherwise your insurance is void. You also need to add this medical condition to your car insurance.

Guest1966

Post by Guest1966 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:54 pm

I am really confused about all this because the DVLA have stopped me driving until I can prove I can get on with CPAP therapy, which I currently am not succeeding with, therefore I have been told I am going to lose my job by my employers as I drive for a living and I had a period of time of recently with a severe injury. The consultant told me to inform the DVLA but ensured me it would not be a problem.

However what confuses me is that on their website they say that if you only suffer from OSA and not OSAS they do not require you to contact them or stop driving. On their form you have to complete there is no option to notify them of OSA only OSAS, so again suggesting that they are not worried about OSA with no sleepiness during the day. It does seem very much a lottery as to who you speak to at the DVLA as to whether they are bothered or not.

My GP tells me I have mild OSA. My Epworth Sleepiness Score was 8/24 and that is by all accounts in the normal range. I have apparently about 18 desaturations in an hour, 30% of those greater than 4% which is just out of the normal range and my mean oxygen saturation is maintained at 95%. So my GP is looking into whether I actually need any treatment at all as she believes this is mild.

There seems to be no black and white with regards to OSA. Here I am having apparently a mild version and I lose my job over it. Quite unfair I feel.

FuriousD

Post by FuriousD » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:09 pm

Hi,
I have been diagnosed today, been given my machine and will be using tonight.
It was a big low for me, i drive about 40K per year and it is a major part of my job. I also od a lot of track days so it is a hobby.
I am going to fill out the SL1 form and tell the insurance company but am worried. The consultant said i was ok to drive and must inform them as i have my machine,
D