Find the type of snorer you are.
CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

Do I need to tell the DVLA I have sleep apnoea?

Talk about all aspects of sleep apnoea. Request help from others with the same problem, tell your story, exchange tips & techniques ..
Mezola
Private Snorer

Re: Do I need to tell the DVLA I have sleep apnoea?

Post by Mezola » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:03 pm

Guest wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:45 am
Be clever wait till your on therapy then inform the DVLA that way you will not have your license revoked .

Pretty simple really ???
Except for when you get a letter before your therapy telling you you must inform the DVLA....

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:45 pm

Mezola wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:03 pm
Guest wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:45 am
Be clever wait till your on therapy then inform the DVLA that way you will not have your license revoked .

Pretty simple really ???
Except for when you get a letter before your therapy telling you you must inform the DVLA....
You do not have to tell them anything until you have a diagnoses.
In other words, until you have had a sleep study and you have been told you have Sleep Apnoea
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Mezola
Private Snorer

Post by Mezola » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:54 pm

Sleep2Snore wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:45 pm
You do not have to tell them anything until you have a diagnoses.
In other words, until you have had a sleep study and you have been told you have Sleep Apnoea
Which was in the same letter as the "report to DVLA - see you in a month" in my case ;)

Sarah
Sergeant Snorer

Post by Sarah » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:26 pm

I was told that I had to stop driving and inform the DVLA of a 'probable' diagnosis. However, there was no 'probable' option on the form; it just asked whether I had a diagnosis or not. In the end I said yes as it seemed to be the nearest answer to 'probable' and in fact has since been confirmed. My licence was immediately revoked.

My car insurance company then refused to continue my insurance when I told them, so I've had to declare the car off-road. Hope no one steals it as it's now uninsured! Just another complication.

I've now been without a licence for over seven weeks and am still waiting to be issued with a CPAP machine. It's obviously going to be a while before I can reapply for my licence. I hope the car insurance doesn't rocket as a result of this.

On a positive note I can honestly say that I haven't missed the car for a moment. I discovered quite accidentally that I was entitled to a free bus pass as my licence has been revoked on medical grounds. The consultant wasn't aware of this entitlement when I mentioned it. And I'm saving all that petrol money too! 😁

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:45 pm

After you get a machine and have a review of how you are doing you should get it back, provided you can use the machine and are compliant i.e. 5hrs use and events below 5AHI.
I would miss the car as the nearest buss in 1/2 a mile away.
There is snow and ice everywhere just now and the roads and pavements are lethal just now.
I would be sure to break a bone walking in that!

I didn't know about the buss pass either, but I would have a long walk just to get one here.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Sarah
Sergeant Snorer

Post by Sarah » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:23 pm

We're lucky there's a bus stop right by the house and it's only a mile and a half walk to town if I fancy the exercise.

Ken the van driver
Private Snorer

Post by Ken the van driver » Mon May 07, 2018 3:58 pm

ceejayblue wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:13 pm
When I applied for my Provisional license in 1987 (sorry to say have actually only been learning to drive fairly recently so it wasn't a problem before) I hadn't been diagnosed and I'm not sure if I had any proper symptoms then anyway. My question is should I be informing the DVLA and my car insurers that I have this problem and if I don't could I be driving illegally (even with my L plates and someone with me in the car!). I did tell my holiday insurers that I am a sufferer as I had to take my CPAP machine to Spain with me so needed to insure it.
Your situation is somewhat different than my own in 2009, as I was then working as a driver when my OSA was diagnosed due to undergoing a pre-operative assessment for a procedure completely unrelated to OSA.
When confirming I had the condition, the doctor advised me to immediately surrender my license to DVLA, he left me in no doubt that if I didn't, he would advise them! Long story to few words, four months later, having started to successfully use a CPAP device supplied by my local NHS Sleep Clinic I heard from DVLA that I was back on the road.

As you have been (hopefully successfully) using CPAP for sometime and your Sleep Clinic can confirm this, I hope DVLA will not revoke your license. However, they will possibly restrict you to applying for a license every three years.
But it's best to advise them anyway, then you know you are on the route to driving legally, which also includes insurance.
Best wishes,
Ken the (now happily retired) van driver.