CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

My Life With CPAP [Video]

Share your experiences with CPAP, request help, find out the latest developments ....
dan
Site Admin

My Life With CPAP [Video]

Post by dan » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:10 am

Rob has posted a vid on youtube about his life with CPAP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdEYiLeZ1EE
Dan Kew
IT Manager
British Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Association

snoozer240

Re: My Life With CPAP [Video]

Post by snoozer240 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:48 pm

hi im waiting for my results from a sleep test so dont have confirmed diagnosis yet - therefore havnt been introduced to cpap. But from watching the clip I have a question - If continous air is being pumped into the airways how to you exhale air out? Sorry if this seems like a dumb question - but wasnt explained in clip

Gail

karenboj

Post by karenboj » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:18 pm

Can I just say (as a CPAP user of nearly a year) I found the first video by Rob excellent. I think that it should be a must for all sleep clinics to have that to show to new users. I would have found that extremely helpful. He was genuine, relaxed and unclinical in the way it was presented. Please pass on my feedback.

I will be signing on the web site as well, as I think it so wrong that at the moment it is not automatic that individuals can obtain the machine. I was one of the lucky ones who was issued one almost immediately.

Thanks for that Rob.

FailedMuso

Post by FailedMuso » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:53 pm

As NuneatonMan says, Gail, it's all quite simple :)

Whilst the pump blows air into your airways, it is not making you breathe. It is simply pressurising your air passages, a kind of air splint, if you will. It does seem a bit unnatural, but it really is very easy to get used to. It is impossible for the CPAP device to force air into your lungs. Your body simply won't let it, so you can breathe out quite normally when using it, although you are breathing out against a modicum of pressure, which is what most people take a while getting used to. I now uses a BiPAP device, which lowers the pressure on the outward breath and increases it on the intake. Much more pleasant :)

Each mask has a vent of sorts for exhalation purposes. This is also so that the CO2 that you exhale is vented out of the mask.

Some people take to it easier than others. I found it very easy but I have seen people take weeks. But don't worry. Your clinic will help you get the right gear and make sure you are complying with the therapy :)

Karenboj, thank you for your kind words. It was my very intention to simplify and clarify the process and hopefully show potential CPAP users that it's not a horrible thing and show non CPAP users what it's all about and why it is SOOOO very important.

It also helps that I'm a Trainer by profession ;)

Anyway, good luck with your CPAP :)

Roberto

Post by Roberto » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:52 pm

By the way, the above was me, i just forgot my login!! LOL :D

karenboj

Post by karenboj » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:39 pm

Hi ya Rob

Well it takes one to recognise one - I too am a trainer so I suppose I recognise the style. I feel quite excited because I have been asked by my local sleep clinic to be interviewed for a news item to promote the use of sleep therapy and to support National Snoring week. It will either be in the local paper or for the newsletter that is produced by the clinic.

Good - anything to promote the use of CPAP and to recognise the importance of using it.

Best wishes - happy CPAP using
Karen
8)

Alsacienne
General Snorer

Post by Alsacienne » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:32 pm

Excellent video - should be compulsory viewing for anyone getting a CPAP for the first time.

Many thanks Rob, and thank you for making it available on this site.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:05 pm

Alsacienne wrote: Excellent video - should be compulsory viewing for anyone getting a CPAP for the first time.

Many thanks Rob, and thank you for making it available on this site.

Yes well done Rob and it would be good to see it in at sleep clinics.
It is a bit less clinical and explained in plain language.

:)
S2S - Sleep2Snore

fester61

Post by fester61 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:44 am

Excellent video particularly liked the prolonged raspberry :lol:

BuzzSaw

Post by BuzzSaw » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:26 pm

Great Video! :D

Made by a real CPAP user and someone that experienced the pitfalls and benfits of CPAP use.

Nice One.