CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

Newbie found sucess

Share your experiences with CPAP, request help, find out the latest developments ....
Granny3
Private Snorer

Newbie found sucess

Post by Granny3 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:07 pm

Hi,
I am new here and just thought I'd share my sucess story.
I commenced CPAP Airsense 10 Elite with humidifier at the end of November 2016 following a positive sleep study. The doctor prescribed a full face mask but after a bit of reseaerch I convinced them to let me try nasal pillows (Airfit 10 for her). My first night on CPAP (full mask) in the sleep clinic was such a sucess that I was motivated to use my machine continually for at least 7 hours. For me sleeping could be a frightening event as I would often spring up into the sitting position choking and gasping for air. Therefore, lying down to sleep was for me the most difficult issue. However, after one week of therapy, I felt so much better, I was awake during the day, had more energy , didn't need to urinate so often during the night, and was starting to think again. By the end of January 2017, my restless legs syndrome had disappeared and my physiotherapist noticed that my muscles which were usually like tablets of stone were now palpable and responding to therapy.
Of course I have had a few setbacks, mainly due to respiratory viral infections which made breathing difficult and sleep almost impossible however, I adjusted my life to fit my CPAP therapy and would sleep whenever I could to try to meet my 7 hour goal. This was easy for me to do because CPAP gave me my life back, before CPAP I could not function like a normal human being, daytime sleepiness was excessive, every muscle in my body ached and I had to give up my work ... I thought my life was over. Now I see light at the end of the tunnel, gradually my life is returning and every day I feel much better.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Re: Newbie found sucess

Post by Sleep2Snore » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:22 pm

Good to hear someone getting the benefits of CPAP and nice to see you doing so well on it.
The thing is to put it on as soon as you are ready to sleep and just not take it off until it is time to get up.
But you must be one of the lucky few that took to it almost right away.
The first time I was on an APAP for testing, I noticed a difference, just one night.
When I got my own machine the only thing that held e back was bad masks more than using the machine.
I know the feelings, the first time you connect to the machine by yourself and waken up just the tiny bit better every day.
Then without noticing you feel your life sneaked back through the night and you feel so much better and you didn't notice the last bit.
Most of it though is a mind set, "This is going to work and I am going to get better" or you just hit the barrier!
Good to hear you are doing so well on it. 8)
S2S - Sleep2Snore