CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

Struggling with cpap

Share your experiences with CPAP, request help, find out the latest developments ....
OrphanAnnie
Sergeant Snorer

Struggling with cpap

Post by OrphanAnnie » Sun May 14, 2017 12:20 pm

I am theee weeks into my cpap treatment and it's not getting any better

I can't get to sleep easily with the mask on (nasal pillows), when I am asleep I am having very vivid dreams of lack of breath, suffocation and its resulting in waking regularly and removing my mask. I am trying to do the minimum of 4 hours but I am not managing it every night

My reading from the machine is an AHI of 1.2 at the moment

Any suggestions?

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Re: Struggling with cpap

Post by Sleep2Snore » Mon May 15, 2017 11:55 pm

1.2 is very good.
Is the Expiry Relief turned on on your machine? This will help you to breath out easier.
If the problem is that your feel you are not getting enough air in, then either there is a problem with your nose or you have an APAP that the lower pressure is set to low.
If it is a CPAP it may be that the pressure could be increased slightly, or the air is short circuiting through your mouth during sleep allowing your throat to close, however, your results look good, so it can't be happening often if it is at all.
If your mouth and throat is dry this will hamper your breathing, if you have a a humidifier, turn it up if this is the case. If you do not have one, I would suggest you get one. I could only do 2 to 4 hours without a humidifier, but this was at a time when they were expensive and Sleep Clinics didn't give humidifiers out unless you just couldn't do without one.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

OrphanAnnie
Sergeant Snorer

Post by OrphanAnnie » Tue May 16, 2017 6:33 pm

Thank you, I have a humidifier but I can't say I like it. I used it for a couple of nights and I ended up getting water leaking through the breath holes in my mask

I can try it again

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Wed May 17, 2017 5:02 pm

If you get this the humidifier is set to high, or the room is to cold causing the vapour to condensate inside the mask or hose.
What you can do is to start it at a low setting and turn it up slightly until it offers to do this again or you have turned it up enough to stop any dry feeling in your throat or mouth. You can also get a heated tube or you can get a outer liner for the hose that will help with condensation, however, when it hit the mask it might still condensate.
I have not used a heated hose but they tell me it is quite good.
Some machines it can be plugged into, others have to have a stand along power supply.
However, I would just turn the humidifier up slowly until you find it comfortable and you don't get the dryness.
If you get condensation, back it off slightly. Remember though, there will be the odd night that this will happen anyway, it's a thing we have to live with. Thankfully, it does not happen a lot, just the odd colder night.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

OrphanAnnie
Sergeant Snorer

Post by OrphanAnnie » Wed May 17, 2017 7:18 pm

I have a tube cover so that might help me, I will try the humidifier again tonight

I have started to get a bloody nose so I suspect I am getting a dry nose which won't help

Thank you again

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Thu May 18, 2017 12:58 pm

You do get a cream for use with CPAP equipment that should keep your nose moist.
Only use a cream developed for CPAP use as some can damage the silicone used in masks.
At the start if using Nasal Pillows you will get some irritation at the nostrils, but this will pass, but it may take a while. :)
S2S - Sleep2Snore