CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

83 year old dad with sleep apnea and Parkinsons - xl mask advice

Share your experiences with CPAP, request help, find out the latest developments ....
TracyR
Private Snorer

83 year old dad with sleep apnea and Parkinsons - xl mask advice

Post by TracyR » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:28 pm

Hi, I’m new to the forum and hope other people with sleep apnea could offer some advice please. Respiratory team at the hospital have been no use and I’m seriously concern over my dad’s wellbeing. He was diagnosed with sleep apnea approx 4 years ago. He has a CPAP machine with a large full face mask as he’s a mouth breather. Over the last couple of weeks his health has deteriorated which we put down to Parkinsons however a full checkup has proved this is due to his sleep apnea, he’s getting no quality sleep and is totally exhausted. He can barely keep his eyes open but he's his worst enemy as he takes off his mask during the night as it creeps into his mouth. Due to Parkinsons his jaw drops when he sleeps and causes issues. The respiratory team only have large masks and no XL are available. We’re happy to buy one but they’re so hard to find, does anyone have any recommendations? Chin strap is not an option as he panics. Any advice would be much appreciated as it’s having a major on us all.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Re: 83 year old dad with sleep apnea and Parkinsons - xl mask advice

Post by Sleep2Snore » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:19 am

Hi Tracy, I don't know where you are, but there are some options, but they may not be easily available to you. Masks can be bought without a prescription, so you can even buy them from Ebay if you can find them.
ResMed might be able to help you if you contact them direct. Just Google Resmed Uk.
Also there is a cloth mask that although is a bit hard to get a seal on work fine after you get used to them, but they do need kept clean. Also Hope2Sleep in Hull offers a limited mask fitting service and might be able to get you a mask. Resperonics is the Philips respiratory group, you could also try contacting them.

They sell some masks here, on this site, contact them see what they have to offer.
Resmed might be your best option if he does need a big XL sized mask.
The cloth mask might be a bit more adaptable, but as I said it is a bit harder to get used to.
https://circadiance.com/ make the cloth ones and they might be worth contacting, though I only found a site in the States, they do offer a refund, or used to at any rate.

Hope this helps a little.
You need a few posts for your message to appear at the start, so please be a bit patient, also I am not here as often as I would like to be, so please keep looking back.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Re: 83 year old dad with sleep apnea and Parkinsons - xl mask advice

Post by Sleep2Snore » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:21 am

Quite shockingly, you can get a lot of CPAP stuff on Amazon!
S2S - Sleep2Snore