CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

Increase in mask leaks

Share your experiences with CPAP, request help, find out the latest developments ....
Rickyp
Private Snorer

Increase in mask leaks

Post by Rickyp » Tue May 29, 2018 6:27 pm

Hi I have seen numerous posts on here regarding mask leaks but am really struggling to understand why all of a sudden over the past week or so I have started to experience a significant increase in these. Prior to this I was generally getting no leaks so can not understand why things have changed. I am using a F20 AirTouch ffm which is relatively new as of April this year. I have tried loosening and tightening the straps but to no avail. Can anyone offer me some advice, I have changed the hose to a new one today in the hope that it could be that but have not seen that mentioned as an issue in other posts. Should I discuss with my sleep clinic?

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Re: Increase in mask leaks

Post by Sleep2Snore » Thu May 31, 2018 4:39 pm

Try cleaning the mask seal with a baby wipe, carefully, preferably with a non-alcohol based one. Alcohol is not good for the silicone seal. This will remove any dirt or grit and oil from the seal. Then just tighten it enough to stop leaks as usual, start the machine and if there are any leaks, just tighten slightly. Overtightening can have the reverse effect than expected at times. The air going into the mask pushes the seal out to contact the skin to make a seal, but any oil or dirt/grit of the skin or from lying around will stop it making a good seal.
Every month give the mask a wash in soapy water and also the hose, if you are fussy, do it every fortnight.

I am not going to say when I last cleaned mine, the Nasal Pillows get a clean a lot but the rest get a clean when I remember! :D
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Rickyp
Private Snorer

Post by Rickyp » Thu May 31, 2018 7:38 pm

Hey thanks, last night was much better I did tighten it slightly more than I probably should have which did leave red marks on my face for about 20 minutes after waking then they completely faded away. My leak was down to about 10 according to the myair matrix and events back to below 5, and I’m sure I didn’t wake through the night to adjust it. Funny thing is though I think this issue started after I cleaned it with a baby wipe although I’m sure it was alcohol free. I will try and loosen it slightly tonight and see how it goes. Thanks again for taking the time to post a response it’s appreciated.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:50 pm

Alcohol can make the silicone in the seal go harder and if it is harder it will not seal so well.
If the worst comes to the worst you can get a new seal for most masks.
See how it goes and if it is an NHS mask you might have to wait for a while before asking for a new seal.
Unless you phone up and say that no one told you not to clean it with a normal baby wipe :lol:
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:03 pm

You can also wash it with soapy water. Just use the same soap you use for dishes, but do not put it in the dishwasher :shock:
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Rickyp
Private Snorer

Post by Rickyp » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:58 pm

I’m using Huggies pure baby wipes they claim there is no alcohol in them at all. Last night was ok myair reading for leaks was around 10 at most however my AHI was just over 6 where historically it has always been below 5 so not so happy with that. I will try loosening the straps a little bit more as I still had the red marks on waking although they did go again after around 15 mins. I have lost about 2 stone over the past 3 months I wonder if that has had any affect in as much as my face is not as big lol. Thanks again for taking the time to impart your knowledge and experience.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:19 pm

Myair is quite poor, leave it to the Sleep Clinic, download Sleepyhead, it gives you a lot more detail of what is going on. https://sleepyhead.jedimark.net/ instructions are on the page and there is a format that should work for you.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Rickyp
Private Snorer

Post by Rickyp » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:49 pm

Can you download to an iPad or iPhone

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:30 pm

Yes, go to the Download site and download the version you want.
https://sleepyhead.jedimark.net/
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Rickyp
Private Snorer

Post by Rickyp » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:08 pm

Thanks I haven’t downloaded this yet as I am unsure if I could understand the level of detail. My leaks are really erratic though when I tighten the straps they seem in control but if I then try loosen them off the following night the leaks return last night was particularly bad with leaks way over the 120 mark, do you think I have the wrong mask, it is the same make/model used since diagnoses although was replaced with a new one in April.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:00 pm

The trick with some masks is to just tighten them so they contact your face, start the machine and tighten the mask until the leaks stop and do not tighten any more, though you might find that through the night you might have to tighten it slightly. I always had to, I think I shrink during the night! :lol:
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Post by Guest » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:06 pm

Hi all good for last night leaks down to below 10 and AHI to just over 4 however I did have to keep the mask relatively tight although not uncomfortable. I think I will continue with this until I get to see the sleep techs again. I have tried downloading sleepyhead on the iPad but without any success so will have to stick with the basic my air info for now. Thanks again for your comments and support.