CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

Air Security (Travelling with CPAP)

Share your experiences with CPAP, request help, find out the latest developments ....
Alsacienne
General Snorer

Re: Air Security (Travelling with CPAP)

Post by Alsacienne » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:40 am

Welcome to the forum! I'm afraid I didn't quite understand your post fully but let's see if I can help in a general way.

If you want to use your CPAP in the UK, you may well need an extension lead or simply an adapter which adds an extra socket to an existing electrical socket. Personally I use a multiple plug extension lead so I can charge my mobile phone and camera at the same time overnight.

To use your CPAP abroad you will need an adapter for the type of plug in the country you are visiting. You may also need an extension cable to reach the socket and then put the adapter in the socket.

If you want to use your CPAP on the plane[/b you may not be able to do so because not all cabins have electric outlets at each seat, and because some CPAP machines 'draw' too much electricity from the circuit which will close down the electrical outlet automatically.

Check your airline and airplane using http://www.seatguru.com to see if you do have access to a power point. Some planes require you to have a separate connector called EMPOWER, but these are becoming more and more rate. For ease, I would recommend buying a battery for inflight use - the BSSAA shop has good ones - if you are flying long haul and definitely need to use your CPAP in flight.

Traceyd

Post by Traceyd » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:57 am

Hi newbie here.

Im going on a long haul flight in january. I have spoke to BA and they have said i can use my machine providing i use a Lithium ion battery 100 watt or less.

Im having trouble locating this battery in the uk. Has anyone managed to obtain one and where from?

My machine is a phillips respironics system 1 pro

Any help would be appreciated.

iheartsleeping
Private Snorer

Post by iheartsleeping » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:29 pm

While travelling through airways, make sure you accompany the travel cpap device through security and stay with security agents, so that you can keep a check on how carefully they are handling your machine. Make sure you double check your documents related to travel cpap machines which are required during security checks.

Foxy

Post by Foxy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:56 pm

Traceyd wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:57 am
Hi newbie here.

Im going on a long haul flight in january. I have spoke to BA and they have said i can use my machine providing i use a Lithium ion battery 100 watt or less.

Im having trouble locating this battery in the uk. Has anyone managed to obtain one and where from?

My machine is a phillips respironics system 1 pro

Any help would be appreciated.
Did you manage to locate a lithium ion battery? if you did where did you get it from?
Thanks

dan
Site Admin

Post by dan » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:39 am

Foxy wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:56 pm
Did you manage to locate a lithium ion battery? if you did where did you get it from?
Thanks
We provide lithium ion batteries for rental or purchase that are fully compliant with all airlines;

http://www.britishsnoring.co.uk/shop/cp ... sories.php
Dan Kew
British Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Association

01737 245638
www.britishsnoring.co.uk
Image Image Image

SleeplessinSalop
Captain Snorer

Post by SleeplessinSalop » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:17 pm

I have posted on this thread before outlining my experiences travelling with my machine, something I do 4-5 times a year minimum, both long and short haul. Personally I have never had a problem. I always carry an open letter from my doctor, which just states I need the machine with me and the medication I am on.

When I have a flight booked, I DO NOT contact customer services for the airline regarding my CPAP, I contact the special assistance team (which all airlines appear to have) and notify them, they usually just ask for the weight and dimensions of the machine, in its bag, they tell you to make sure you have a doctors letter with you, when you go to check-in or check in online, I have always found they are aware of the situation and often, but not always depeding on the airline, have sent me an e-mail outlining the provision for the extra bag and things run smoothly. That is about it, universally all the airlines, including the likes of the cheap airlines such as Easyjet and Ryanair, who I have travelled with, have given me a free baggage allocation for my machine, meaning an extra piece of hand luggage, free of charge. As I said in my earlier post, the people at the security point, in my experience have all seen CPAP's before and are well used to them.

What may be interesting is to see where people travel from and if different things are experienced in different regions, personally the majority of my flights are out of either Manchester or Birmingham, with the occasional trip from Gatwick and Liverpool and the odd trip from others.

Just waiting for my next trip now when all of the above will probably fall apart as I have said how easy I find travelling with my CPAP. :D

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:20 pm

I travel regularly with my CPAP which I carry in a Pelicase. I do not contact airlines at all, I never have problems at X-ray, they have seen loads of CPAPs, the only thing I do is take it out of its flight case for X-ray. I keep an open letter from my Doctor, just in case. The most difficult thing is dealing with the strange looks when I wear my mask on long haul.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:34 am

I have never said anything either, however, I only take it on with me and nothing else.
No back up clothes. So if my other luggage went missing I would be goosed!

Do you take other bags on board?
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Post by Guest » Thu May 24, 2018 7:06 pm

I am flying for the first time since having a cpap machine, with Ryanair in a couple of months time.
I'm not actually wanting it to be considered a free extra piece of cabin luggage, it can go into my normally allowed bag.

Would I still need to notify Ryanair before hand via special assistance?

Thank you

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Fri May 25, 2018 4:41 pm

They will allow you to take it on as an extra bit of hand luggage if you let them know, however if you take nothing else into the cabin with you there should be no problem. That is what I usually do, though never flown with Ryan Air. What ever you do, do not put it in hold with all the other stuff, it is sure to get broken or go missing. This is why you are allowed to take it on board with you as it is essential medical equipment.
S2S - Sleep2Snore