CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

Weight & snoring

Talk about all aspects of snoring. Request help from others with the same problem, tell your story, exchange tips & techniques .. in fact, anything snoring related
Jofairy14
Private Snorer

Weight & snoring

Post by Jofairy14 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:59 pm

Hi I'm new here & desperate to sort out my snoring. Or at least reduce it I hope. I am at the point where my partner is going to leave me because of my snoring. I have never been told by anyone before that I snore!!
I have seen a consultant at ENT for my sinus & apparently I have polyps & a deviated septum. I am awaiting to here if I'll be having surgery.
I can snore on my back, side, any which way apparently!!! I am at the end of my tether as my partner announced this morning that if it carries on after the operation he will have to leave as he needs sleep as a shift worker of 13 hours a shift!!
I've tried nasal sprays, they didn't work, then Nasal strips, they helped initially as opened up my airways but now they don't. I cannot sleep with my mouth shut as cannot breathe properly.
I have gained over a stone in the last 18 months, I am now in the process of desperately trying to lose weight as I do not want to lose my relationship. Any ideas anyone???

snoozimum
Private Snorer

Re: Weight & snoring

Post by snoozimum » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:14 am

I'm new here, and don't have much in the way of advice to offer, but I certainly sympathise! :(

I am sorry your partner is threatening to leave you - have you been together long? As I have posted elsewhere, my husband and I now sleep in separate rooms most of the time, which we are both OK with. Mind you, we are in our early fifties and have been together for almost 27 yrs - married for 25. Is this an option for you? Do you have a spare room? I know some people wouldn't want to go down that route - obviously we still have intimate moments, just not in the middle of the night! Although things are not as passionate as they used to be anyway, snoring aside!

Has your partner tried ear plugs? Mine won't wear them, but he has certainly complained bitterly about my snoring!

I recently tried the snorevents (as opposed to nasal strips) which seemed to help a little, but didn't cut the snoring out completely. I found them reasonably comfortable to wear. Mind you, if you have abnormalities within your nasal area, they might not suit you.

It does sound like surgery might help in your case - any further forward with that?

I am also trying to lose weight, but I do wonder if I have some other issues, as I've been prone to nasal congestion (on & off) for a long time. The snoring has only developed in recent years though, as far as I'm aware.

Anyway, I'm not sure if you will even pick this up, as it's a while since you made your original post, but I'd be interested to hear how you're getting on. I felt really sad for you, when I was reading your story. :(

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Re: Weight & snoring

Post by Sleep2Snore » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:44 pm

Jofairy14 wrote:Hi I'm new here & desperate to sort out my snoring. Or at least reduce it I hope. I am at the point where my partner is going to leave me because of my snoring. I have never been told by anyone before that I snore!!
I have seen a consultant at ENT for my sinus & apparently I have polyps & a deviated septum. I am awaiting to here if I'll be having surgery.
I can snore on my back, side, any which way apparently!!! I am at the end of my tether as my partner announced this morning that if it carries on after the operation he will have to leave as he needs sleep as a shift worker of 13 hours a shift!!
I've tried nasal sprays, they didn't work, then Nasal strips, they helped initially as opened up my airways but now they don't. I cannot sleep with my mouth shut as cannot breathe properly.
I have gained over a stone in the last 18 months, I am now in the process of desperately trying to lose weight as I do not want to lose my relationship. Any ideas anyone???
Try joining a Slimming World class if there is one near you.
I know a few people that have lost a lot of weight (One member here did as well), it is surprising what they let you eat and if you are not a cook they have ready made meals is Iceland and one of the German stores. My son joined and he eats a mountain of stuff and has lost a lot of weight and it didn't take him all that long. But you have to stick with any foods they say you can eat and it is surprising what they allow you to eat.
S2S - Sleep2Snore