CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

A New Problem

Talk about all aspects of snoring. Request help from others with the same problem, tell your story, exchange tips & techniques .. in fact, anything snoring related
RedHitman
Private Snorer

A New Problem

Post by RedHitman » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:51 am

Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster!

I've always been a light sleeper/light snorer (when I am on my back)... But within the past week, something new has started happening.
I'm a light sleeper so wake quite often during the night from any noise. I have a 10 month old baby so obviously I've not been getting much sleep lately, haha. But this past week, from about 4am onwards, if I wake up (toilet/baby etc) then as I am drifting back to sleep, I wake myself up with a "snort"/snore like sound. It seems to happen the instant I'm dropping off and happens no matter my position. I'm 34, been with my wife for nearly 10 years.... this has never happened before and is becoming a real problem now as I can't get back to sleep! I'm keeping myself awake so I'm getting up at 4/5am every morning and then going back to bed for a few hours in the afternoon.
This doesn't happen at night when I go to bed or at any other time. Just seems to be from 4am onwards. I'm driving myself mad!

Anyone know why this has just started happening?

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Re: A New Problem

Post by Sleep2Snore » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:48 am

It may be that you have put on a slight amount of weight and your throat is closing or your tongue is closing your throat.
This is what I noticed was happening to me at the start. As you say, it happens after you have been asleep and wake up, at least that is the only time you notice. If you have a big neck of 17" or above or fat around your neck area this could be what is happening. I say COULD be happening.
There could be another reason unknown to us. Go along an talk to your doctor about it, they might firstly have a look at your throat just to check it out.
If you start feeling tired during the day (I know there is a baby so you will be tired anyway) but more tired than usual you might just be on the borderline for Sleep Apnoea. If you are carrying any extra weight, do your best to get rid of it. This might stop it developing, but you might be slim as a rake and fit as a fiddle I have no idea.
But go along to your doctor and discus it. The staying awake might just be you staying awake just in case this happens again.
There is an App for a smart phone that you can record yourself so you can let the doctor hear it. You can also leave it on and see if you do it at any other time or stop breathing during the night.
You can also get a nervous reaction that kick starts your body and brain back into gear as it jumps into the wrong mode as it were.
My brother used to do a jump when he was dropping off and if you were in the same room it would sometimes give you quite a scare.

Don't be shy, go see the doctor, just in case there is something going on.

Let us know how you get on.
S2S - Sleep2Snore