CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

Laser Treatment

Discuss your experiences with the various products that may or may not help you to stop snoring
Nighthawk 2

Laser Treatment

Post by Nighthawk 2 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:10 pm

Has anyone heard of laser treatment for enlarged soft palates? It is a relatively new idea, and I currently suffer badly with sleep apnoea and putting up with my CPAP machine, I would seriously consider having the treatment. Would be interested in others thoughts.

Haanday
Private Snorer

Re: Laser Treatment

Post by Haanday » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:08 am

My Aunt is really overweight and she also have sleep apnea problem. So she can't sleep properly. While she have to wake up early in the morning. She just wanna say goodbye to it. What you think laser treatment would be a nice option for her or she need to lose her weight first. Actually i don't have any information about its laser treatment but keen to know about it.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:30 pm

Nighthawk 2 wrote:Has anyone heard of laser treatment for enlarged soft palates? It is a relatively new idea, and I currently suffer badly with sleep apnoea and putting up with my CPAP machine, I would seriously consider having the treatment. Would be interested in others thoughts.
It is not to enlarge the soft palate, it is to shrink it and toughen it.
I have no experience with anyone that has had laser treatment, but I suspect that had it been a success it would be offered a lot more. Maybe I am wrong as sometimes the good old NHS can be slow in the pick up. However, they do offer an operation and this has got to be more expensive!
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:32 pm

Haanday wrote:My Aunt is really overweight and she also have sleep apnea problem. So she can't sleep properly. While she have to wake up early in the morning. She just wanna say goodbye to it. What you think laser treatment would be a nice option for her or she need to lose her weight first. Actually i don't have any information about its laser treatment but keen to know about it.
Her best course of action is just to loose as much weight as she can, sensibly, then the problem might go away on its own.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Post by Guest » Tue May 31, 2016 11:00 am

I saw a consultant privately about snoring and this was one of the options. He said that when he saw patients for the follow up after the operation they had found it pretty painful afterwards. I think he said that it reduced the snoring by 80% or so, but the snoring gradually came back over the years. I'm sorry I can't remember the exact numbers, but for me, it didn't seem worth the pain and expense for something that wasn't more permanent.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:31 pm

At least he was honest.
Get a CPAP/APAP machine and just live with it.
Try to loose weight if you can, it sometimes helps and it goes away completely, others are not so lucky!
S2S - Sleep2Snore