CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

Seeking temporary solution urgently!

Discuss your experiences with the various products that may or may not help you to stop snoring
snoozimum
Private Snorer

Seeking temporary solution urgently!

Post by snoozimum » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:49 am

Hi fellow sufferers :)

I'm new to the forum - I'm a female in my early 50s, and I'm cvurrently about 5 & a half stone overweight. I have a strong hunch that my snoring is connected to my weight, because it didn't seem to happen when I was slimmer (I realise this is not the case for everyone though) so I am trying to lose some at a diet class (but making painfully slow progress!). If that turns out not to help, I shall certainly be seeking medical advice.

Anyway, I was unsure where to post this, but what I'm looking for at the moment is advice on anything that can get my husband and I through a couple of nights of sharing a room!! We gave up on this some time ago in our own house (although there were some other factors involved, including shift work) but we are staying with relatives this weekend. He really cannot stand my snoring, and gets quite irate - this obviously makes me nervous, and neither of us get a good sleep! I am also slightly concerned in case my snoring can be heard from other rooms, although nobody has ever actually said that - yet!

I do understand that there are no products guaranteed to work for everyone, and that there are different 'types' of snoring, with different reasons behind them. I feel like I probably have the vibrating palate type of snoring (not certain though) as I can still make a snorting noise even with my mouth closed. But is it OK to use a mouth guard or strap along with nasal products? Or should it just be one or the other? I have also looked at anti snoring pillows, but the reviews for those don't seem very good at all! Have tried a throat spray, but it didn't seem to do much.

Really, any advice at all would be helpful! I will probably need to buy hubby some ear plugs too!!

Can't believe all the jokes about snoring on social media etc - it really isn't at all funny when you are the one affected! :(

Best Wishes to you all

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Re: Seeking temporary solution urgently!

Post by Sleep2Snore » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:19 pm

Loosing weight is the answer.
If there is a Slimming World near you try that for your slimming.
They make ready meals and you do not feel hungry.
It is surprising just how much you can eat and loose weight.

As for the snoring, there is not a lot works and nearly all the things you see advertised is aimed at people that are desperate and will not go to where they should start, the Doctors. There are sprays (I believe they are not to nice to take) that may help, but to be honest they are of limited use.
Have a word with the Doctor or Chemist, they may be able to give you something, but there is no quick fix.
There is an Anti-snoring chin strap on sale now, but as far as I can see it is just holding the neck back and gripping the throat. It might help, but it is on the outside and the parts that vibrate when you snore are inside the throat. It also looks as if it would restrict your breathing, this could be a bit dodgy for some. The price is also ridicules. I would just sleep in a chair propped up with some pillows if I were you. If it is just for one night, you might survive, though I have seen bad snorers doing that and still snore.
Go see your doctor, make him/her listen, they are there to help.

Good luck with the weight loss, you will feel and look a lot better for it.

:)
S2S - Sleep2Snore

snoozimum
Private Snorer

Post by snoozimum » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:47 pm

Thank you Sleep2snore - I appreciate your prompt reply, and your advice! :)

I just feel like the doctor will tell me to lose weight before I try anything else - hence I have put off going! I actually hope that my excess weight IS the problem, because I would feel frustrated to lose loads, and then find that the problem remained as bad (although I'm prepared to accept there's a possibility of that).

Yes, sleeping in a chair may be an option, but I have sometimes been known to snore in an upright position too! :?

Actually, as there was a delay in me submitting my post, and it being approved, I have since obtained nasovents and a mouth guard, which I ordered online via express delivery. Tried them out last night - the nasovents weren't too bad, but the mouth guard made me feel claustrophobic, and I just couldn't settle in it. I think the nasal products helped a little, but as I was sleeping alone, I can't be sure!! (I woke myself up with my snoring a few times the night before, but last night seemed better). I have a bit of a cold at the moment too, just to make matters worse! :(

It is a relief to talk to others who understand, as I find it embarrassing to discuss this with most people, since it is not generally taken very seriously (or so it seems to me).

Thanks again! :D

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:28 pm

Don't put up with the doctor telling you to loose weight, that is NOT an option until you have the energy to do it.
You need help, but try to avoid surgery. If this doctor does not help, go see another.
I know it may be your fault you are overweight, but try to loose it. Ask for help in the meantime.
Slimming world appears to be the best option and with their meals (though if you buy the ready meals are expensive £3 usually) you will not feel hungry.
My two sons have lost a lot of weight in a short time without to much effort. You just have to be strict with yourself and cut out sweets and mostly sugar.
If my two can do it anyone can. :)

Do not take a NO from the doctor.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

snoozimum
Private Snorer

Post by snoozimum » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:00 am

Thank you again.

I am certainly hearing a lot of good things about Slimming World at the moment, from various people, although I tried it in the past and didn't get that far (I've been dieting on & off since I was 13 - now 51! - but my weight is at an all time high). Could be that SW have tweaked their plan over the years.
I actually joined (or should I say re-joined) Weight Watchers in the autumn, and it is an aquaintance / sort of friend who is running the class, so I would feel bad about changing. It's not a bad diet to be honest - my problem is that I cheat at weekends, which I know I must stop. That would apply on any diet programme of course!

I am just surmising that the GP would suggest losing weight first - maybe I'm wrong! But it seems a logical step to me. However, I will give some consideration to what you said, and I do appreciate you taking the time to reply. :D

Snorestoppers
Private Snorer

Post by Snorestoppers » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:22 pm

It will certainly help to lose a bit of weight but it may not fix your snoring problem. The most popular stop snoring device is a chin strap. They are not expensive so worth a try
http://www.snorestoppers.co.uk