CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

Tomed products and mouth breathing

Discuss your experiences with the various products that may or may not help you to stop snoring
AxB

Tomed products and mouth breathing

Post by AxB » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:10 am

I am not overweight, I do not drink, yet my snoring was bad enough that a former room mate lodged rather strong complaints.

Since I am moving regularly due to work, I am not able to have a proper sleep study done, so I am looking at MAD as an interim solution and decided to try one of the Tomed products.

One thing I found out is that I often breathe with my mouth when I am sleeping. I have no issue breathing through the nose normally, but for some reason my mouth just opens in the middle of the night. So I think it would be safer if I buy allows me to breathe through the mouth if necessary.

Going by the table, in term of breathing through the mouth, SomnoGuard AP > SomnoGuard SP Soft > SommoGuard 3

Also, is the SommoGuard 3 adequate, or is it designed to be just for emergencies?

Thanks.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Re: Tomed products and mouth breathing

Post by Sleep2Snore » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:16 pm

If you are not fatigued during the day then a Sleep Study might be a waste of time.
Snoring is usually caused by either the vocal box vibrating when relaxed or by loose skin for lack of a word vibrating in the throat.
There is no guarantee that a MAD device will stop it. The other thing that can happen is the tongue falling to the back of the throat, but this usually blocks the airway to a lesser or greater extent.
You need to go to your GP and get them to refer you to ENT. They might be able to work out which part of the throat is causing the vibration.
A dentist is the best option for getting a MAD device fitted.
Buying one will not fit you and not be so effective.

Good luck with your snoring.

A CPAP machine will stop your snoring, but you will have to buy one yourself and buy a full-faced mask.
These are not cheap and you may need a few masks before you find the right one and setting for the machine.
You will need a full-faced as you breath through your mouth at night.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

AxB

Post by AxB » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:45 am

Thanks for the reply. I find it hard to assess whether I am more "fatigued" than the average person. Certainly there are time I'll feel very tired, we probably all do, and even if I had some kind of condition, it's probably have always be with me so it's hard for me to tell if it's out of the ordinary. But at the moment, I am just looking for something to tackle the symptoms as I have to share room with others occasionally, and I do not want to be a nuisance for others.

Since I am rarely in one place for more than 8-12 weeks so my GP is a bit reluctant to book me an appointment as I may or not may be in the country when they have a place, hence I am looking for a temporary, over the counter solution. It was dentist friend (outside the UK) who mentioned MAD, but as much as I'd like to have a custom made, I may not have the time for it, and it is also a lot to splash on a solution I am not sure is right for me. To be honest, the cheaper Tomed product seems like something I have relatively little to lose if it doesn't work out, though the higher end Tomed product isn't out of my budget, so I am wondering which one to take a punt on. My primary concern is whether they will allow me to breathe through the mouth though.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:20 am

I think though I have never used one that you should be able to breath.
Its job is to hold your jaw forward to keep your airways open, not block your airways by stopping air getting in through your mouth.
Whether it will work for you is another question. A lot try these things and it does not work for them.
Others find it does. You pays your money and takes your choice.

The other option is a private or a home study.
Private study in a Sleep Clinic is the best option.
Though I think you can get a home study through this firm.

Try filling this in to see your score. epworth_sleepiness_scale

They do a home sleep study. http://www.britishsnoring.co.uk/home_sleep_study.php

At the end of the day it is your decision and your money.

I know a few people that are thin and have Sleep Apnoea, though I do admit they are the exception rather than the rule.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:21 am

Oh, I did mean to say, ask before you buy and ask if there is a refund if it does not work.
S2S - Sleep2Snore