CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

Help interpreting tests

Talk about all aspects of sleep apnoea. Request help from others with the same problem, tell your story, exchange tips & techniques ..
steve

Help interpreting tests

Post by steve » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:08 pm

Hi All

I'm new to the forum, so please bear with me. I've been chasing what I think may be sleep apnea for a couple of months now. I'm 54 and a couple of stone overweight. I should be 13 stone really, but 15 it is. I've been recording my sleep each night on my phone with an Android app called Smart Recorder and viewing the results in a PC with an app called Audacity. Both are free. If anyone wants the detail on what I did with the software, just ask.

Every now and then I've tried something new and on the first recordings I'm snoring around 4 hours every single night, 2 of which are loud enough to be heard in another room. Wearing a chin strap makes the snoring much longer and louder. Using a Breathe-Right nasal strip reduces the snoring and last night I sewed a pocket in the back of my t shirt (no badges for neatness) and inserted a hard tennis ball into it. Both the nasal strip and tennis ball have reduced the snoring and I do feel more refreshed after sleeping.

My question is; would I only feel better if I have apnea or can snoring (without apnea) make you feel tired the next day? I have seen my doc and am waiting for an appt with the sleep clinic, but I'm interested in others experiences.

I must admit I'm still slightly shocked by the range of devices you can buy. I thought torture was made illegal :-) Mandibular advancement? Noooooo....

Thanks for reading...

Steve

Re: Help interpreting tests

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:42 pm

Hi Steve,
Not sure if you are still looking at this forum in 2018, but if you are, I am interested in how you used Smart Recorder and Audacity to analyze your sleep. I have Smart Recorder on my phone, and recorded my sleep last night for about 8 hours. I downloaded the .wav file onto my PC, and copied it into the Audacity program. I notice that sometimes it has recorded individual breaths, but other times there are LONG silences (maybe I turned an face away from the phone?). Can you differentiate these silent periods from true apnea? How can you ensure that all breaths (or at least most) are recorded? Did you manually look through the waveform to see when you were snoring, etc? Thanks!
Christopher

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Re: Help interpreting tests

Post by Sleep2Snore » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:04 pm

Christopher, you might be better downloading Snoreclock. Google it, it can show results in the form of a graph. Your phone has to be very close, depending on your phone.
It will also record audio.
S2S - Sleep2Snore