CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

Back.chest pains

Talk about all aspects of sleep apnoea. Request help from others with the same problem, tell your story, exchange tips & techniques ..
Bjnorris

Back.chest pains

Post by Bjnorris » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:10 pm

I've been on cpap for two years now, and after the first couple of months of finding the correct mask, pillow and sleeping position, I have to say that I'm a new person.
The only problem I seem to have is that I nearly always wake up with back pain or chest pain and sometimes both. I find that I need to sit down for around halve an hour or so and then the pain is gone and Im ready to take on the world.
The clinic has given no answer to these symptoms, so I'm hoping that I'm not alone in this.

My own theory's are as follows:
1. No longer moving position during my six hours of pure sleep.
2. Not waking up anymore to go to the loo (I was doing this a couple of time a night prior to cap) Now I wake up bursting for a pee!
3. Air pressure build up in lungs, stomach causing pressure?
Before others blame my mattress. It's not that. I have tried or two other beds all good quality and have the same problem. I tried without cpap and woke up feeling shit but had NO pains!!

Anyone else suffer this or have some answers/solutions
Brian

Cpap has changed my life. I now sleep solid for around six hours every night and wake up fully alert. The trouble is that I now can't go to bed until around two pm otherwise I'm awake too early and the back/chest pain prevent me from laying in bed any longer.

laura.lux01
Private Snorer

Re: Back.chest pains

Post by laura.lux01 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:59 am

Hi,

Maybe your mattress could be a Problem. How old is your mattress and what Kind is it? maybe you can look into that and get the right mattress for you and that could help with your back and chest pain. I also had back pains for a while and i decided to Change my mattress to one that was more suitable for me. It made a world of difference. and i felt a lot better.

I hope this helped. good luck

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Re: Back.chest pains

Post by Sleep2Snore » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:33 pm

No, what causes the chest pain is your chest muscles have to fight the pressure when you breath out.
They are not used to fighting the extra pressure, though after a while this usually settles down.
The sore back is due to what you suspect, you do not move around so much and a lot of people tent to lay on their back a lot as it is easier usually for the mask keeping airtight. I wake up more on my back than I used to before Sleep Apnoea. However, I do try to sleep on my side.
Waking up through the night also does help as you get a break, but after you get a machine, most people go back to sleeping all through the night most nights. Sometimes they wake just to adjust the mask and go straight back to sleep without getting up. Sometimes they wake up, adjust the mask and go back to sleep without realising they woke up.
S2S - Sleep2Snore