CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

The 5 year saga continues!!!

Talk about all aspects of sleep apnoea. Request help from others with the same problem, tell your story, exchange tips & techniques ..
Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Re: New to the site, would really appreciate some advice.

Post by Sleep2Snore » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:18 pm

Snoring depends on a lot of factors, drink being one of them.
You need a lot of data before you can take it at face value.

Let us know how you get on.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Max68
Sergeant Snorer

Post by Max68 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:47 am

I don't drink these days. Did back in the day but bar the odd Black Russian at Christmas I am pretty much tee total these days!!

Got the blood test results back. All normal and my diabetes control is still good so no issues there bar the fact I am pretty low on Vitamin D which apparently isn't a major surprise for some people once the clocks go back in the UK! So that could be the reason why my tiredness has kicked in during the day in only the last few weeks as apparently a lack of D can make you tired. Been prescribed some supplements. Chest X-ray results still not back but hopefully the fact that it's a week later now will mean nothing urgent. So just now awaiting a date for another sleep study.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:56 am

Yes, dark mornings and nights can be a problem.
Get yourself one of those lamps and you might feel better. Not the old dangerous type, the newer ones for people that suffer during dark nights. It might help the mood a bit if nothing else.

It's never good when you can't get an answer from the people that should be able to give you one. :?
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Max68
Sergeant Snorer

Post by Max68 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:31 pm

i
Last edited by Max68 on Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Max68
Sergeant Snorer

Post by Max68 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:54 pm

Well interesting times. Not as tired during the day since I have started the Vitamin D tablets and the old Snorelab App has given some pretty interesting results. My scores had been getting higher this last week for some reason and I actually hit Epic on a couple of occasions!! Scores since I got the App are :

SUN 27 NOV - TIME SNORING 9% / 47m - SNORE SCORE 4
MON 28 NOV - TIME SNORING 9% / 47m - SNORE SCORE 0
TUE 29 NOV - TIME SNORING 9% / 47m - SNORE SCORE 5
WED 3O NOV - TIME SNORING 15% / 1h 5m - SNORE SCORE 6
THU 01 DEC - TIME SNORING 10% / 42m - SNORE SCORE 4
SAT 03 DEC - TIME SNORING 17% / 1h 24m - SNORE SCORE 29
MON 05 DEC - TIME SNORING 14% / 55m - SNORE SCORE 21
WED 07 DEC - TIME SNORING 20% / 1h 42m - SNORE SCORE 29
FRI 09 DEC - TIME SNORING 24% / 2h 04m - SNORE SCORE 40
SAT 10 DEC - TIME SNORING 5% / 18m - SNORE SCORE 2

Interestingly Tues 29th, Wed 30th and Sat 10th I used some oral strips and never got above mild, so maybe oral strips help with me. Have also started wearing a tennis ball in a bum bag so I don't roll onto my back. Not quite sure what was going on from Sat 3rd through to Fri 9th although I tried various throat sprays and nasal sprays. Would be interesting to list foods and see if they have anything to do with it.

The major interest though was last night. Actually purchased the full snore lab and set it for a full nights recording. Have been listening through it today. Not really over worried about the snoring, what I was focusing on were the quiet parts followed by snoring. I wanted to see if there was ever any gasping, coughing or spluttering after a quiet period. Only twice all night did I go from quiet to a sort of snort followed by snoring, but it didn't seem overly aggressive. 99% of the time a quiet period was followed by periods of mild snoring then back to quiet. The quiet periods were anything from 5 to 30 minutes long so doubt I would be able to not breath at all for that long, if I could I should be e deep sea diver!! It seems like I just don't snore for these periods.

Obviously still awaiting another sleep study but so far listening to all recordings I haven't heard anything that typically shows coughing, spluttering, or gasping for breath. In the meantime I'll keep trying the oral strips as so far it definitely seems to reduce my snoring if nothing else!

Max68
Sergeant Snorer

Post by Max68 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:14 pm

Well had chest x-ray results back and all was fine. Still awaiting the hospital to triage my forms and give me an appointment for a sleep study. In the meantime I have continued with the Snorelab recordings and data and it's all interesting stuff. Some nights I snore quite a lot and others very mild no more than 40 minutes in the whole night. I tend to make note of moments when I cough, snort or hear laboured breathing but it's rare, anything from 2 to 15 times a night will I hear something slightly suspicious, especially the rather unpleasant and out of the blue snorts but I have heard those maybe 4 or 5 times total in a month of recordings. I usually go from quiet to snoring then slowly back to quiet again. Certainly haven't heard any major gasping,. I have read that sleep apnoea is diagnosed "represented by the number of apnoea and hypopnea events per hour of sleep. The apnoea's (pauses in breathing) must last for at least 10 seconds and be associated with a decrease in blood oxygenation." So does that mean that it's normal for someone to say stop breathing for 1-9 seconds maybe 10 times a night "without" a drop in oxygen levels and it would not be classed as sleep apnoea?

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:52 pm

Most people do have events that can be considered normal, nearly everyone does it but these are well spaced and normally do not last long.
They might get a slight dip in oxygen levels but would quickly recover in any case. It is when an Apnoea patient stops breathing for longer periods or has them in quick sucession that there is a problem. Oxygen levels drop off and oxygen supply to the brain drops sharply. This is what gives some sufferers a foggy sore head in the morning, but not all.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Max68
Sergeant Snorer

Post by Max68 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:09 am

Thanks S2S. It is a weird situation. I might try and push for a two night study because last night for instance I listened to my recording and there was nothing suspicious at all. Snore score of 2 with only 18 minutes of snoring all night and very soft it was. Compare with Boxing Day where I had a snore score of 49 with some very loud levels. Seems very varied and no rhyme or reason to it.

Always feel fine when I wake up but then very fatigued during the day in my office but if I go out in the fresh air I am fine as I am in the evenings where I am not tired at all. Looking forward to seeing what's going on. It may be that my own snoring may just disturb me so heavier snoring nights briefly wake me. Doesn't explain the brain zap that stops me falling asleep though. Weird stuff....

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:55 pm

Do what I did when I went for a study.
I had a drink in the pub and slept sound all night.
They had no problems getting readings from me.
But don't drink pints like I did. I woke up in the morning desperate to go but I had to many wires and things attached.
But they got the readings they wanted first time.
Looking at the readout he showed me I don't think it would have made a difference, but at least I got a good sleep.
If you don't drink and are a light sleeper, take a tablet to help you drop off.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Max68
Sergeant Snorer

Post by Max68 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:10 am

Thanks S2S....I dare have a drink before as I'll be wanting a wee all night with my weak bladder!! Think I'll stick to the sleeping tablet and then depending on what the outcome of the sleep study mention it's the falling asleep with something waking me up that's the problem.

Noticed on my snorelab nightly check it's usually a cough that wakes me up maybe 50% of the time and the rest of the time I just wake up with the strange zap to the head or some other bizarre occurrence. Strange thing is it only happens maybe once at the start of the night but then it takes ages to fall back to sleep. Hear myself snorting once in a while and other coughs during the night along with some snoring of various intensity with occasional laboured breathing but no major gasps for air. I do have terrible sinuses and snort and clear my throat during the day so I may look into the Neti thread. I did read that if you say stop breathing for less than 9 seconds 10 times an hour then you are not classed as having sleep apnoea but rather Upper Airway Resistance Syndrome. I just wonder this because of the way I can hear myself breathing then a cough occurs waking me up. Maybe I wake immediately rather than struggling for 10 seconds or more. I don't know not worth speculating.

Finally have got a sleep study booked at the end of this month with a follow up booked a month later in February so things are at least now moving.

Thanks for your help S2S...

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:46 pm

Have a short then :) Whisky, gin, vodka, whatever. :lol:

I shouldn't encourage you to drink.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Max68
Sergeant Snorer

Post by Max68 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:03 am

Oh don't tempt me!! Must confess a Jack Daniels or Jim Beam and coke on a card night with the lads is always very nice! Never have much trouble falling asleep after a night out with them mind, and the headache is definitely not sleep related!!! :lol:

Max68
Sergeant Snorer

Post by Max68 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:35 am

Well just come home from my overnight polysomnography and it was right up there in the worst nights of my life, although I suspect things may be on their way to becoming worse over the next few weeks!!

After a hell of a wait I was shown to my room and my weight and blood pressure were taken. After nearly bursting into tears being told I was 84kg (the health kick isn't working, I was lighter on chocolate and cake!) I then encountered an extremely annoying blood pressure reading of 155/90 with a heart rate of 114!! Ok the 90 I just about accepted but 155?!?!?!?!? Now I saw a cardiologist on Friday about higher diastolic readings and high heart rate in the evenings but after another ECG he wasn't worried but I never usually go higher than 140 on the top number and it's more often than not in the 120's so no idea what was going on last night with that 155, nerves, panic and apprehension maybe! Fortunately the nurse didn't seem too concerned and mentioned the lower number as something more to keep an eye on despite in my opinion the eye watering 155 being more of an issue and my GP and Pharmacist always being more concerned about the top number. You don't know who to believe these days! But if within 48 hours both a cardiologist and a nurse say "don't worry!" How many times can you say "Are you sure this is ok or that's ok?"

I took a sleeping tablet and literally just lay there upping to the toilet twice in an hour. Freezing outside it may have been but it was like a sauna in that room and considering I have insomnia anyway a hot room coupled with wires and sensors everywhere wasn't going to be beneficial to me dropping off any time soon!! Then with a start I jumped practically out of bed when a nurse came in to bizarrely move the oximeter from my middle finger to my index finger!

Frustrated I then just walloped another sleeping tablet down my throat to give me the maximum 7mg that I used to take. That seemed to do the trick and then next thing I knew was being prodded awake by the same nurse who crept in like the SAS on a mission hours earlier!!

She asked me a load of questions like "did I have a headache?", "sore eyes", dry eyes", dry mouth", I answered no to all. I then asked her how it went, was there anything to worry about and she waffled something about my oxygen dropping to 88% at one point and 93% at another point. I'm sure she said 93 and not 83! She said there was some laboured breathing and a little snoring but suggested whatever was going on it was mild. She didn't say anything else or give more detail. Must confess I am a little concerned because my previous three sleep tests showed a mean oxygen saturation of 95%, first time and 96% second and third times although both mentioned the odd dip of 4%. So not sure what my mean oxygen saturation was last night.

Got to wait a month now to see the consultant but I will ring them and see if I can find out the results earlier. But it doesn't look good!

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:32 am

no idea what was going on last night with that 155, nerves, panic and apprehension maybe!
That and white coat syndrome maybe.
Everyone that has checked my blood pressure is more interested in the lower reading, not that they aren't in the higher, but it appears it is the lower that is the worst. I can only believe them, I make a point of asking everyone that checks my blood pressure now. It is quite amusing to hear all the explanations :lol:
Same when they want to stick a needle in me or give me a pill.
I am their worst nightmare, if they can't explain what it is for and how it works and the side effects I tell them to go and find out as I will not allow it otherwise. :lol:
Life was so amusing while I was in hospital :)
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:35 am

Looks like you might have mild Sleep Apnoea, but if you didn't sleep much it might have been a short test.
Thanks for letting us know how you got on. Wait to see what the consultant says. :?
S2S - Sleep2Snore