CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

The 5 year saga continues!!!

Talk about all aspects of sleep apnoea. Request help from others with the same problem, tell your story, exchange tips & techniques ..
Max68
Sergeant Snorer

Re: The 5 year saga continues!!!

Post by Max68 » Sat May 20, 2017 1:07 am

Thanks G.

I read a book that my consultant told me about by Colin Espie and I didn't find it helpful particularly. It was all about psychological stuff like sleep hygiene etc which I tried anyway. I'm not a great believer in the psychological stuff for anything I hasten to add, not sure why it just never works for me, maybe it's because I am a half glass empty sort rather than a half full !!!

Watched a programme about sleep on the BBC last week and was quite surprised it made no mention of sleep apnoea or sleep disturbed breathing. Was interested however in the study on the use of a prebiotic which has been shown it may aid getting to sleep. Won't help my mild apnoea but may help the getting off to sleep in the first place so maybe worth a try.

Post by Guest » Sat May 20, 2017 11:05 pm

Yeah, I watched that as well.

Very disappointed they didn't go down that avenue at all.

G

Max68
Sergeant Snorer

Post by Max68 » Mon May 29, 2017 10:26 am

Guest wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 11:05 pm
Yeah, I watched that as well.

Very disappointed they didn't go down that avenue at all.

G
Well interestingly enough I have used the prebiotic shown in that programme for a week now and it may be coincidence but it's helped me get off to sleep easier and my Snorelab snore score and time spent snoring has reduced quite a bit. Usually my snore score is anything from 5 to 30 and can differ dramatically from night to night. Same with time spent snoring although it is typically anything between 40 minutes per night and an hour and a half. Since using the prebiotic I haven't jerked awake without a sleeping tablet and my snore scores and time snoring have been (in reverse order.)

Snore Score (1) Time Snoring 3% / 10 minutes - (4) 7% / 25 m - (2) 4% / 18 m - (3) 9% / 39 m - (3) 4% / 15 m - (1) 4% / 14 m - (2) 4% / 16 m - (4) 10% / 43 m

Previous 9 readings without prebiotic

(4) 10% / 43 m - (8) 15% / 1 hour - (10) 13% / 1 hour - (6) 10% / 39 m - (9) 18% / 1 h 25 m - (2) 7% / 30 m - (5) 9% / 39 m - (18) 12% / 56 m - (25) 20% / 1 h 32 m

Not in any way suggesting this reduces my mild apnoea but my snoring has definitely reduced although as I say it could be coincidence and I have just had a good week!!

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Mon May 29, 2017 10:06 pm

Time will tell.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Max68
Sergeant Snorer

Post by Max68 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:53 pm

Hi all. Just thought I would give you, what hopefully will be my final update, which I am sure you will be delighted to hear that I won't be boring the socks off you for the next 5 years!!

I went to see my Sleep Consultant again after I did four nights oximetry at home, (two with a sleeping tablet and two without). The consultant felt that after the Orthodontist refused to fit me with a mandibular device (earlier post) if my oximetry was the same as it was at my Polysomnography back in January he felt that no further treatment was necessary. The Polysomnography showed Mild Apnoea with an AHI of 12.

When I saw him the first thing he asked is if I had lost a bit of weight, (nice surprise) and told me bizarrely that I didn't have Sleep Apnoea. My oximetry readings were stable at 96%, 95%, 95%, 94% for the four nights and whilst there was an occasional dip he felt that wasn't a concern and he felt that my readings were "about as good as you can get". I was surprised because I still suffer from a bit of Insomnia and waking episodes but he now thinks that it could either be my snoring that occasionally wakes me or the head and leg spasms that seem to wake me are occasional hypnnic jerks that can occur when you are dropping off. I must confess I also have awoken less frequently since started to sleep with a pillow between my legs which has lessened the pain of my arthritic hips because that helps the legs to be straight when lying on your side. (My idea that one!!! :wink: )

So after 4 Regular Sleep Studies and one full Polysomnography in 5 year period "No Sleep Apnoea" leads "Mild Sleep Apnoea" 3-2 and bizarrely after this consultation I dropped off to sleep without a problem last night so I'm pretty sure a certain amount of anxiety has been thrown in for good measure in this saga!

When I asked if there was anything I could do to stop my snoring he said not much could be done because it's my small lower jaw that he thinks caused it and surgery would be a pointless, painful exercise with no guarantees so as I live alone anyway my snoring at least won't bother anyone else!

So I'll keep an eye on it and obviously with age it could get worse but for now I'll try and wean myself off the sleeping tablets and see the Stop Smoking Nurse in the next couple of weeks.

Many thanks to all that have been a great help and support especially Sleep2Snore who has been a great sounding board for me.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:06 pm

Good luck Max68, keep an eye on that oxygen levels.
Stopping smoking will always be of benefit to your heath in the long run.
Loosing a bit of weight will always make you feel a bit better, or a lot better and will help your joints if you are bothered with them.
But I bet you have heard that so many times I will shut up :lol:
Let us know sometime in the future you are still alive and kicking and still doing fine.
:D
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:27 am

Millions of times!!! :lol:

Thanks S2S, I'll always pop my head in from time to time anyway. Great forum, great support and nice people.

Max68
Sergeant Snorer

Post by Max68 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:35 pm

Oops sorry the above post was from me but I wasn't logged in!!!

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:56 pm

Max68 wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:35 pm
Oops sorry the above post was from me but I wasn't logged in!!!
Yeah, we managed to work that out :lol:

Take care.
S2S - Sleep2Snore