CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

Feeling of Swallowing Insects??

Talk about all aspects of sleep apnoea. Request help from others with the same problem, tell your story, exchange tips & techniques ..

Feeling of Swallowing Insects??

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:24 pm

Hi there,
I'm not diagnosed or suffering lack of sleep, but am a heavy snorer, (so I'm told by family) and often wake up with a choking feeling like there's something stuck in my throat-like I've swallowed an insect in my sleep. Is this a symptom of apnoea or maybe I am just swallowing an abnormal number of critters in my sleep? Appreciate if could advise if this is a symptom. I'm single so noone to tell me what my sleeping habits are. Many thanks x

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Re: Feeling of Swallowing Insects??

Post by Sleep2Snore » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:16 am

There are a few reasons why you might feel as if you are choking when you wake up.
How do you feel during the day? Tired, could sleep easily during the day?
Do you get up a lot during the night to go for a pee?
Are you overweight?
Try filling in the Epworth Sleepiness Scale and be honest with yourself.
The other thing you can do is record your sleep using the http://www.ralphsapps.com/snoreclock where you will need a Smart Phone, but you do need it close to you unless it has a very sensitive mike on it. This will record you when you sleep and you will hear yourself snore, if you stop breathing, count the number of seconds before you breath again. If it is only a few seconds it is nthing to worry about, unless there is a lot of them. There is a graph that will display everything and give you a result. Instructions are on the page.
I don't know if you are likely to have Sleep Apnoea, but if you stop breathing during the night it is a good indication. However, people do that, but not often, it is when you stop breathing a lot or for long periods it becomes a problem and it will affect you, it comes on very slowly and sneaks up on you and before you know it you are falling asleep or very fatigued all day.
If you have put on any weight, the best thing you can do to help yourself is get the weight off, though that will clear it in most people, it will not clear it in everyone.
Try the App on a phone, iPad, Tablet and see how you get on with that.
If you start to feel tired then the chances are you might be heading towards Sleep Apnoea.
Has anyone heard you stop breathing for more than 10 seconds when you are asleep?
This is the first step I would take, record yourself sleeping.
There are home tests you can do, but these cost money.
When you can't breath due to Sleep Apnoea, your Oxygen levels drop and a lot of people get sore/foggy heads in the morning.
Snoring, tiredness, sore/foggy heads in the morning, getting up to the toilet during the night are all signs of Sleep Apnoea, however, there are other reasons that this can come about, so if all symptoms are there you need to find out if you stop breathing.
It might be that the feeling that you have swallowed insects could be your throat closing or your tongue slipping back and blocking your airway!
If you have all the above, go see your doctor, if you are normal weight and young, they will say you do not fit the profile.
Well, one of the people I used to know was as thin as a brush shaft and didn't fit the profile at all, yet he was suffering badly.
The shape of the throat and jaw can affect the outcome of Sleep Apnoea as well, so fitting the profile is not always the case.
So, if you have all the above, get yourself along to your GP and explain everything, if not, record yourself.
There is also an Oximeter that you can get at Amazon or elsewhere that can read the oxygen levels when you are sleeping, if they drop a lot (usually below 90% or more), it indicates you might have a problem.
Hope that helps and does not confuse you?
But the easy way to find out is record yourself, if the indications are that you might have Sleep Apnoea, you can go to your Gp with the recording, or you can get a meter and see how the oxygen drops and go with both readings, then ask for a Sleep Study.

If you need any more help just pop back, we are not here all the time and if you are a new user it will take a couple of days for your post to appear. So it might be a few days or you get a reply.
Pls remember we are not doctors here, were are users of the CPAP equipment and just go by our experiences.
Sometimes this works out as the people that give out the equipment are not the end user and do not know the problem we get first hand.
We can only try to help people as best we can.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:19 am

Please create an account so as we know we are talking to you.
Remember it can take a few days for you message to appear, at least if you creat an account after a few posts the delay will stop and your posts will appear quickly.

All the best S2S
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:16 pm

Thank you so much, S2S, for such a comprehensive response. I will certainly try the apps and record my sleep. I could lose a few pounds but certainly not overweight/obese and never get up for the loo at night, so am interested if can hear how I sleep. I shall be signing up if come across anything out of the norm., for sure. Thanks again, K x

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:37 pm

It might be that it is just offering to hit you, that might be why you are feeling like you are swallowing insects, it might be your throat is just starting to close at night. It may be your tongue touching the back of your throat. Don't just do nothing, do something now.
S2S - Sleep2Snore