CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

New here.

Talk about all aspects of sleep apnoea. Request help from others with the same problem, tell your story, exchange tips & techniques ..
Leigh78
Private Snorer

New here.

Post by Leigh78 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:53 pm

Hi all. I'm new here. I have recently had a home sleep study done. I have an appointment to pick up a machine in September so I assume that the sleep study was positive. I have long suspected that I may have osa. Anyway, I am hoping that my diagnosis will help me with regards my symptoms. I was hoping that some of you guys may be able to help me out with regards if my symptoms are typical for osa. I'll lest below.
1. Really tired all the time. Even after a long daytime nap I am still shattered.
2. Muscles feel really exhausted easily. This is one of my biggest worries. I can only assume that this is due to lack of oxygen.
3. Short tempered and snappy.
4. As a man, this is hard to admit but I get emotional easily. (Teary or really angry at the snap of a finger)
5. Headaches and sore throat a lot.
Sorry for the length of post.
Thanks guys.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Re: New here.

Post by Sleep2Snore » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:30 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum.

People are affected in different ways, However, what you have said is typical of the symptoms of OSA.
You can also include:
Fatigue.
Headaches.
Going to the toilet a lot during the night.
Not dreaming.
Falling asleep if not concentrating on something.
Car accidents in some cases.
Falling asleep when watching TV.
Bad temper.
Lack of sex drive with some men.
Fuzzy head in the mornings and even through the day.
Lack of concentration.
Rapid weight gain.
High Blood pressure.

As a consequence it puts you at risk of a heart attack, stroke, and a few other things.
The answer to your question is yes, it all fits in.
Welcome to the hose heads.

When you pick up your machine, you will ned a mask.
If you are a mouth breather you will need a Full-faced mask.
Otherwise you will get a Nasal mask or Nose Pillows.
Nose pillows are a lot easier to get on with, however, they do annoy the lining of your nose for a start, but it is worth the effort.
Be careful when you pick your mask, try it lying down, NOT standing up as the shape of your face changes quite a lot when you lay down.
Take your time and make sure it is a very snug fit without having to push it onto your face, this applies to Nasal and Full-faced masks.
There is a mask that is a Hy-brid mask, it is a cross between Nasal Pillows and a Full-faced mask.
It is a lot less Claustrophobic than a Full-faced mask. It has Nasal Pillows and a mask to cover your mouth.
There is also a Total Face Mask which is a bit like a Fireman's mask for going into buildings, but these are not often used.
Make sure if you can that the mask fits without having to tighten or push it onto your face, this will help get a good fit.
Taking time here will save you a lot of time later. You may not get a lot of choice, depending where you are, but do ask if they do a range of masks and do not take the one they suggest or give you. Ask what stock they have, pick the best fitting mask that suits you best.
Google all the mask types above, I will Bold them for you.

If there is anything we can help you with just ask.
We are not doctors, just end users.
Unlike most doctors, we use the equipment, so we have a better understanding what you are going through.
We give advice, not diagnoses,
But we do try to help as much as we can.

There are APAP (automatic machines) and CPAP machines (Fixed pressure) machines. Ask for the Expiry relief to be enabled and ask how to adjust it as you might not need it after you get used to the CPAP machine. You are better off without it, however, at the start it can help you get used to the pressure.

Ask as many questions as you can think of, no matter how stupid they might sound to you ask them, there is no such question as a stupid question when it comes to Sleep Apnoea.

Remember to have a look at this. viewtopic.php?p=68149#p68149
You need to tell your insurance company if you drive as well. If you don't you may find your insurance void.
They usually do not charge extra, some do charge a nominal charge. But this will depend on your driving record etc.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:31 pm

Sorry for the even longer post :lol:

Oh, print out the info on the link, some doctors report you to the DVLA regardless.
If you are not tired driving you do not need to report it, or at least they don't. :)
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Leigh78
Private Snorer

Post by Leigh78 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:58 pm

Thanks for the reply. I am really concerned that they may take my licence from me. I need it for my job as i am a gas engineer. I have never fell asleep at the wheel or even nearly. i find that when i am at work, i am ok but feel like shit. i really suffer when i get home an chill out. i end up falling asleep watching tv. If im off on a weekend, its a nightmare to find the energy to stay awake around the house unless i do some work or diy. This typical? Sorry, just have loads of questions that i forget to ask. Oh, thats another thing. My memory is terrible!

Leigh78
Private Snorer

Post by Leigh78 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:03 pm

Oh, i managed to get my appointment moved to this Thursday so my treatment should start earlier. I am just unsure if i have been diagnosed with osa. The letter said to attend the cpap pick up dept. I can only assume that it is to pick up a machine but since when have hospitals been straight talking lol

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:09 pm

You are maybe getting a nurse to take home :lol:
S2S - Sleep2Snore