CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

Should I be concerned?

Talk about all aspects of sleep apnoea. Request help from others with the same problem, tell your story, exchange tips & techniques ..
JCook
Private Snorer

Should I be concerned?

Post by JCook » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:23 am

Hi
After some advice please. I set up an auto noise recorder to see if I could figure out a noise that was waking me up every night. I recorded the thumps (no idea what the cause) but I also recorded a lot of choking gasping noises, which was a bit of a shock. I have heard of sleep apnea but had never crossed my mind it may be a problem for me. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia years ago and until now had never questioned the diagnosis. I am now wondering if apnea may be worsening my condition or even causing it. Out of curiosity I downloaded the Snorelab app, just to see what was going on. I cannot find any follow up advice on what the results mean in detail and hoped someone on here had maybe used this app themselves. Im not really a worrier and dont want to see my gp if its nothing to be concerned about. I have only done recordings for 3 nights with snore scores of only 31, 28 and 11 so wasnt alarmed by that but the sound recording had picked up the gasping and gagging noises. There were lots of nice even breathing but also straight blue lines that lasted up to 26 seconds where I can vaguely hear shallow breaths or none at all, followed by the loud gasping sound. Before I start to worry because I dont really know what Im looking at could the straight lines mean an apnea break or is that shown by no line at all or could it just mean Im breathing very quietly? I appreciate that the symptoms for both problems are similar but at least if I had apnea it could be treated which would give me a chance of feeling better. Most of the time I feel so rubbish and tired. I would hate to waste gps time and effort if I take him the results and I have misread them. Has anyone any insight on this app? Thank you :)

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Re: Should I be concerned?

Post by Sleep2Snore » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:15 pm

I don't think in this case you would be wasting you Gps time.
However, If you don't want to see the Gp yet, get yourself an Oxymeter and see if you Oxygen level drops off during the night.
One like >THIS or something like it. <
If it dips during the night below 90%, go see you Gp.
Ask for a Sleep Study and show him any readings you have on your App and Oxymeter.
Tell him you suspect you may have Sleep Apnoea. You might get a home sleep study, but one in a hospital sleep clinic is a lot better.

If you can afford it, you can get a Home Sleep Study done privately from a few places including this site.
You can then take them to your Gp, who can refer you to a sleep clinic, or you can go fully private.

If you are getting gaps that there is no breathing and then snorts, gasps or choking noises, it can be a sign of Sleep Apnoea.
Don't ignore it, it can only get worse and lead to complications that at the end of the day could lead to you having strokes, heart attack or might even lead to your death. Get yourself checked out, also try to loose weight if you are carrying a few pounds.
This will help in most cases, but not all. Doctors have this nasty habit of blaming everything on peoples weight, part true, but not all are carrying extra weight, it will not always cure Sleep Apnoea by loosing weight either, but it sometimes does. However, if you are suffering from Sleep Apnoea, you don't have the energy to do anything about it, so you need help to get your life back and get some energy flowing.

Choice is your own, but by what you are saying: Quiet spells, gasps, snorts, grunts then breathing again, tired all the time.
It all points to Sleep Apnoea, it may be mild and they will not treat it (normally under guidelines) but do not let that pt you off going to your Gp.
If it is mild, at least you know you are suffering and can take some advice and action to rectify the problem.
Better than ignoring the problem and hoping it goes away! Sorry to say it will not go away on its own!
S2S - Sleep2Snore