CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

Have I got sleep apnea? My symptoms:

Talk about all aspects of sleep apnoea. Request help from others with the same problem, tell your story, exchange tips & techniques ..
Francisco
Private Snorer

Have I got sleep apnea? My symptoms:

Post by Francisco » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:07 pm

Hi, I'm just exploring some issues and worries I'm having with sleep and came across this site.
I'm female, 37, normal weight, I eat healthily, although I do use an e-cigarette. I don't drink often as I'm in the middle of a nursing degree so not much time for that kind of fun.
Anyway, over the course of this year I've had a number of episodes where I wake up in the night suddenly gasping for breath like I haven't been breathing. I also get this quite often as I'm dropping off to sleep and have started noticing that I feel like I'm not breathing in that cross over moment between wake and sleep. The episodes are totally irregular, as in I might get loads in one week then none for a few weeks at a time. My partner also comments that I sometimes keep him awake with snoring.
I also sometimes experience sudden jolts accompanied by a bright flash, soon after I fall asleep which also lead me to sit upright gasping for breath, although these only happen soon after falling asleep, not like the gasping waking that happens during deep sleep in the middle of the night.
I saw my GP who had no time for me at all and said I have acid reflux - which I have suffered with in the past and was prescribed omeprazole. Since that diagnosis I made changes to my diet which pretty much eliminated it unless I throw caution to the wind and occasionally go wild (Haha) with a curry and desert and alcohol (gotta have some enjoyment at times), but I know I'll suffer afterwards and i expect that. I'm pretty sure it's not acid reflux because I've had loads of symptoms with that and this feels nothing like it at all, not one little bit. My GP didn't ask me any more questions about anything after I disagreed that I didn't think it was acid reflux and basically just ignored me until I walked out.
The waking makes me feel really tired, the worry about going to sleep is meaning I don't get enough sleep generally and I don't really know what to do.
Does this sound like sleep apnea or am I worrying for no reason?
I don't want to go back to the GP after the experience I had before as I was made to feel I'm totally wasting their time.
Should I go back?

Re: Have I got sleep apnea? My symptoms:

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:43 pm

Yes and ask for referral for sleep study

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:07 pm

Not quite sure where acid reflux comes in?
However, it can have some strange effects a throat full of acid can do.
That aside, does you boyfriend notice if you stop breathing at any time.
Most people snore, however, if it is excessive snoring, you should see a Gp, however, I would go see another Gp, avoid the one you have seen before.
There are basically two types of Sleep Apnoea, Obstructive and Central.
Obstructive: This is the most common type and it is almost self explanatory, your throat becomes restricted, either by swallowing your tongue or by your throat itself becoming restricted. This can be cured with a CPAP machine and mask which pumps air at pressure to keep your throat open.
Central: Bit more complicated, but put simply, you brain forgets to tell your body to breath. Bit more complicated than that, but that is it in a nutshell. This requires a bit more work to sort out. Some people get central' after starting CPAP treatment. It can be treated with drugs but I don't get involved in it. There is a type of cpap machine to help with this as well. http://freecpapadvice.com/central-sleep-apnea
Best thing you can do is record yourself sleeping http://www.ralphsapps.com/snoreclock and get an Oxymeter to record your oxygen levels during the night. You need the phone or Tablet needs to be very close to you, but this depends on how sensitive the mike is.
Oxygen levels should not fall much below 90%, but with your training you do not need me to tell you that. You will get a cheap one from Amazon.
After you fine this out, go to your Gp and hit them with the results. You should ask for a sleep Study, if you have big oxygen dips, it coulld be quite serious.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Nuneatonman37
Captain Snorer

Post by Nuneatonman37 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:15 pm

Take the Epworth sleep test the higher your score the more likely it's osa there's a link on the site for it or google it ,
If high go to gp and ask for sleep test preferably try for a full polysomnography (PSG) test it's the best way for a proper diagnosis.

Kind Regards,

Francisco
Private Snorer

Post by Francisco » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:35 pm

Thanks for your replies and advice. I'll check out all the suggested links and try to get to the bottom of this, and will definitely go back to my GP.
I slept sitting up all night last night in the end because every time I dropped off to sleep lying normally I was awake again within minutes. I'm exhausted! I think I'm making it worse by worrying about it too, which is making me anxious about even going to sleep.
It's good to know there are other people in the same boat, kind of...obviously I'm not glad other people have the same problem and anxieites. It's been really helpful finding this site and reading other people's experiences. Thanks.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:32 pm

There is one other thing you should have checked, it is the Thyroid.

It can make you very tired if it is not working properly, If it comes back as in the normal range, just remember that Normal might not be normal for you, so ask where about in the range it is, if near the end where it will make you tired, you need to be aware of this. Ask your doctor for advice on where about you are on the NORMAL RANGE, ask if this could be causing this.
Get this checked first before you go down any private route of Sleep Apnoea, if you are going down the route of Sleep Apnoea, especially if you are a woman, though it applies to us men as well.
In fact for anyone that does not snore badly or appear to hold their breath when sleeping.
S2S - Sleep2Snore