Find the type of snorer you are.
CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

First week using of CPAP - is this to be expected?

Talk about all aspects of sleep apnoea. Request help from others with the same problem, tell your story, exchange tips & techniques ..
robyndoughty
Private Snorer

First week using of CPAP - is this to be expected?

Post by robyndoughty » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:30 pm

Hi all
I was given my CPAP machine a week ago and I'm rather pleased for a couple of reasons:
1) It's an automated machine so the pressure adjusts as required.
2) I've taken to wearing it pretty well. No real problem with the mask and able to wear it all night long.
So really, I am quite happy with my progress for week 1.

However, there are some niggles which I felt I wanted to check with other "users" to see whether this was common or not?
1) I am getting ear ache each day, which takes most of the day to settle. I assume that the pressure is causing this, but as my machine is automatically adjusting the pressure then I doubt that I can have the pressure lowered. I wondered whether it's to do with my sinuses. I always feel like I have congestion in my nasal passages, but I don't have mucus - it's mostly dry.
2) With the ear ache is a low grade headache. I never really suffered with morning headaches relating to my OSA that I'm aware, but this is a definite discomfort when I wake up.
3) The top of my back and shoulders are really painful too. I feel like I'm stiff and achy in the morning, and this also takes a long time to wear off.
4) I've noticed no improvement in my energy levels. I am not expecting this just yet, but I wonder how long it will take to really feel an improvement.

It's great to know that there are folk out there that have gone through this too! So thanks in advance for your replies.
Robyn x

Re: First week using of CPAP - is this to be expected?

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:01 pm

Hi Robin

As you say, you're lucky to have a machine that automatically adjusts.

I suspect that the stiffness is down to you subconsciously tensing up, or sleeping in a slightly different position now.

If I get congestion I use Olbas oil on a handkerchief near the air inlet. This usually does it for me. Alternatively, I would have a word with your local pharmacist who may suggest something that clears the nasal passages. I also suspect that the ear ache is connected with the congestion (forgive the pun).

As with everything to do with the human body, we all react in different ways and timescales. All I can tell you is that eventually you'll feel an awful lot better!

Hope this helps.

Dave

Vince Green
Major Snorer

Post by Vince Green » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:07 am

You seem to have started well, its a journey though, it does take time.

Ear ache is a new one to me, it could be the pressure but all your sinus get pressurised as well and everything is linked so I guess its part of your personal learning curve.

I have always had sinus issues, a while back I bought a cheap facial sauna/ inhaler from ebay and that gives a measure of relief when things get bad

Wait a while and see

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:15 pm

Hi and welcome,

The passageways in the head are all linked, so pressure might have something to do with it.
However, check none of the straps for the headgear are causing a bit of pressure to the side of the head.
I had a bit of my headgear fitting just putting a small amount of pressure to the side of the head. It was not that bad, I could sleep with it without a problem at all, however, I started to get a headache in the morning that took most of the day to die down, It was due to this part of the headgear just putting a slight pressure on the side of the head in front of the ear, so check there is nothing like this going on. Around the eyes and nose can also give you headaches. If there is none of these, then look towards trying to clear your sinus issues.
Some people run salty water through them to clear them, I know it sounds horrible, but they assure me it isn't and easy to do.
Olbas oil is really smelly stuff and unless you like the smell of it I would just use Menthol vapours near the intake for the air. DO NOT put anything in the humidifier, it will make a right mess of it. A jar of menthol at the air intake will help. Also try turning up the humidifier if you have one.
Otherwise, go to your chemist or doctor to see what they recommend.
Sometimes it take a while to get back to normal and feel a bit better. I think APAPs take a while longer to get you back on your feet, but hopefully you will get there.
S2S - Sleep2Snore