Find the type of snorer you are.
CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

Do I need to tell the DVLA I have sleep apnoea?

Talk about all aspects of sleep apnoea. Request help from others with the same problem, tell your story, exchange tips & techniques ..
nickyjsmth

Re: Do I need to tell the DVLA I have sleep apnoea?

Post by nickyjsmth » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:35 pm

Beware, once you tell the DVLA the first thing they will want to know about is is your OSA under control by treatment ? if the answer is no then they will stop you driving on the spot until treatment is in place.
Once you have notified them you have 21 days to get treatment in place and get the ok from your sleep nurse or you have to surrender your licence until treatment is in place and working, then you can go through the reapplication process.
As my appointment for a CPAP machine was 8 weeks and I'd had no warning about what would happen the only way I managed to get driving again within the 21 days was to hire a unit and generate the data. This was reviewed and approved by my sleep nurse, then I was able to fill in the forms and start driving immediately, it was a nightmare.
A lot of people seem to let the DVLA know after treatment is in place, then they are not worried about you. This though, is technically illegal as you should notify as soon as you are diagnosed.
I had the most stressful 3 weeks in a long time...

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:48 pm

Well I finally got my letter today to say I am ok to drive. So it took 20 days from posting the form to getting the OK from the DVLA. Hopefully this might help someone in a similar situation who is waiting for their letter, this is the current turn-around time.

Looking forward to getting back behind the wheel on Saturday - has an angioplasty procedure today so cant drive for 48 hrs. If its not the DVLA its the NHS lol :lol:

ceejayblue
Major Snorer

Post by ceejayblue » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:10 pm

Glad you've got your go ahead to drive again and hope the angioplasty goes well.

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:51 pm

Guest wrote:Had letter saying my licence has been revoked due to me mistakenly ticking the "do you suffer from excessive drowsiness?" Box as YES on SL1 form, so be careful when you complete form!
I am now having to get a letter from Papworth faxed to DVLA saying my OSA is under control with CPAP in order to get licence reinstated!
The question on my SL1 form said "are you now free of excessive drowsiness" so surely the correct answer was yes or have they hanged the form

laura2706
Private Snorer

Post by laura2706 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:15 pm

I had issues with the DVLA as I sent them the forms and they 'misplaced' them and then told me they were revoking. I rung and it was all rectified quite quickly.

Although there are stipulations.... you have to use the machine on average 4 hours a night over the year. This year I had only used mine 4.15 hours on average and I have to have a compliance check in three months to ensure this is nearer the 5 or over!

So be careful about this.

Jueleew

Post by Jueleew » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:48 am

I was diagnosed with OSA in December 2013 and given a cpap machine. I was told to inform the dvla straight away about my condition and that I was receiving treatment, I wouldn't lose my license.
I've already filled in these sleepiness test sheets, I never drive if I'm tired, I'm ok to drive, clean license, don't drink, never had a problem with my driving.
Being honest, law abiding citizen I got the forms and sent them off. But... I couldn't get on with my mask and after an hour or so I would have to rip it off. I went back to get a different mask, but on the form I answered no to 'is your excessive
Sleepiness under control' because it wasn't as yet. I got a letter today telling me my license was revoked and to return it.
I am devastated because I am registered disabled and need my car to get around, I simply can't walk to a bus stop or walk anywhere, I can't afford taxis and my other half works full time. I also have to taxi my daughter around or she can't get to Uni. Help, I don't know what to do! :cry:

ceejayblue
Major Snorer

Post by ceejayblue » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:34 pm

So sorry to hear that your licence was revoked and the problems that it has caused you. My advice would be to keep trying with the mask, I've mainly had over the nose masks since I was diagnosed over 10 years ago, but did try the nasal ones and hated them. I have a love hate relationship with my mask, I have to wear it, even though it makes me look and sound like darth vader and the head gear messes up my hair but without it my life wouldn't be worth living. Before CPAP I wasn't functioning and although I did give up learning to drive, I would be devastated if I'd passed my test and my licence was revoked.

I'd make a point of going to see your sleep clinic and asking them to try another mask, they may find something better for you. I'm constantly adjusting mine and my headgear throughout the night but I do get at least 6 hours sleep. Also, you could try using it when you nap, I use mine whenever I'm going to have a little siesta and as it will only be for probably no more than an hour it gives you time to get used to it without bothering you all through the night.

Only_mee

Post by Only_mee » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:41 am

Jueleew wrote: I am devastated because I am registered disabled and need my car to get around, I simply can't walk to a bus stop or walk anywhere, I can't afford taxis and my other half works full time. I also have to taxi my daughter around or she can't get to Uni. Help, I don't know what to do! :cry:
I did the same honestly told told them, and because you said no, it was revoked.I have been revoked since 22 Dec 13 and hopefully getting it back within the new few weeks.

Like you i wouldn't drive if i was sleepy, but that's not good enough for them, they want you off the road.

IMHO they take far to long to long and should pull their finger out quicker, in sorting out the re-applying for the licence.

Sleepy weekend

Post by Sleepy weekend » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:13 am

This is my first post to these forums so please go easy on me.

I notified dvla about a fortnight ago and have not heard from them yet but given I hold a full class 1 licence I'm not expecting to hear from them in a hurry even though I have never used my goods licence since I passed the test.
I am expecting to have my licence revoked even though I am established on cpap mostly because I have been struggling to get compliant only managing to achieve this feat in the last month. I expect to hear from them before my next appt with the sleep clinic in three weeks but I'm expecting to have to appeal to get my licence back.

It doesn't help to get compliant when you find out after your second appt the the machine was set to a higher pressure than prescribed and was blowing the mask off my face every night or that I had to change my sleeping habits established over the last twenty years; you just can't sleep on your front with a cpap mask or at least I can't.

The worst part of this is now having to take the train to work and having to get up a full two hours earlier for a journey that takes me twenty minutes in the car, I wasn't daytime sleepy before I started taking public transport now I find myself sleeping on the train and that's after losing a stone in weight.

Getting backtrack o the topic, failing to notify dvla carries a thousand pound fine and invalid insurance in the event of an accident, to me it's a no brainer though I wish the advice you get from both the medical profession and dvla was on the same page and I wish dvla was faster and more consistent at processing these forms why I can't submit a form electronically in this day and age is beyond me.

irvo63

Post by irvo63 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:58 pm

First post here goes!

Can I continue to drive with Severe Obstructive Sleep Apnoea?

I have no issues of tiredness or any other symptoms associated with OSA.

My Epworth score is normal, i do not drink or smoke and my health is good.

I had a AHI score of 70 following a sleep study but this is the only symptom of the diagnosed condition.

I have notified DVLA and insurance company and now await the DVLA contacting my doctor.

If i have no symptoms that impair my ability to drive so do i need a CPAP machine just to prevent risk of having licence suspended?

Any advice Please starting to worry after reading some of the threads.

cheers,

Steve.

ceejayblue
Major Snorer

Post by ceejayblue » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:20 am

I'm surprised if you haven't got any of the usual symptoms, but if you haven't now, you certainly will have in the future if you don't get given a CPAP machine.

I was diagnosed over 10 years ago with symptoms of extreme tiredness, stopping breathing, falling asleep in mid-sentence at times and severe anxiety. You really don't want to get that far and end up falling asleep behind the wheel and killing yourself or others through not using a CPAP machine and if they offer you one you should accept it. My symptoms crept up on me over a period of a few years and it was pretty scarey and my CPAP machine has been my life saver. The DVLA will want proof that you are dealing with the symptoms and controlling it with a CPAP machine.

saturdaynight
Lieutenant Colonel Snorer

Post by saturdaynight » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:09 pm

Having an AHI of 70 isn't a 'symptom' it's a 'fact'?

ceejayblue
Major Snorer

Post by ceejayblue » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:26 pm

What I meant was that the poster didn't have any "obvious" symptoms of tiredness etc but was definitely diagnosed and would end up with symptoms if they didn't use a CPAP machine

saturdaynight
Lieutenant Colonel Snorer

Post by saturdaynight » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:16 pm

Hello, yes, I understood your post ceejay. I was referring to Irvo's post where he states " I had a AHI score of 70 following a sleep study but this is the only symptom of the diagnosed condition."

ceejayblue
Major Snorer

Post by ceejayblue » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:18 pm

Oh, thanks for clarifying.