Find the type of snorer you are.
CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

Do I need to tell the DVLA I have sleep apnoea?

Talk about all aspects of sleep apnoea. Request help from others with the same problem, tell your story, exchange tips & techniques ..
ceejayblue
Major Snorer

Re: Do I need to tell the DVLA I have sleep apnoea?

Post by ceejayblue » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:06 pm

As long as you are using your machine regularly and its working there should be no problem with the DVLA letting you keep your licence.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:02 pm

If the consultant says you are safe to drive then you should be okay to drive.
After all it is his neck on the line if you go out under his advice and run someone over or fall asleep at the wheel. Mind you, you are the driver so just be very aware of tiredness!

You do need to let DVLA know and your insurance company know.

There are more undiagnosed drivers out there that are a lot more dangerous than you, so don't worry about it. Those that have Sleep Apnoea are aware of any limitation they have and to watch for it.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:03 pm

Guest1966 wrote:I am really confused about all this because the DVLA have stopped me driving until I can prove I can get on with CPAP therapy, which I currently am not succeeding with, therefore I have been told I am going to lose my job by my employers as I drive for a living and I had a period of time of recently with a severe injury. The consultant told me to inform the DVLA but ensured me it would not be a problem.

However what confuses me is that on their website they say that if you only suffer from OSA and not OSAS they do not require you to contact them or stop driving. On their form you have to complete there is no option to notify them of OSA only OSAS, so again suggesting that they are not worried about OSA with no sleepiness during the day. It does seem very much a lottery as to who you speak to at the DVLA as to whether they are bothered or not.

My GP tells me I have mild OSA. My Epworth Sleepiness Score was 8/24 and that is by all accounts in the normal range. I have apparently about 18 desaturations in an hour, 30% of those greater than 4% which is just out of the normal range and my mean oxygen saturation is maintained at 95%. So my GP is looking into whether I actually need any treatment at all as she believes this is mild.

There seems to be no black and white with regards to OSA. Here I am having apparently a mild version and I lose my job over it. Quite unfair I feel.
In my experience and knowledge the fact you have been issued with a CPAP machine and your doctors has told you to contact the DVLA with a reportable driving condition. You should borderline BUT your the wrong side of the border line unfortunately.

Simply put from a DVLA perspective

CPAP = OSAS
Doc tells you to contact the DVLA = reportable driving condition

You have been diagnosed and are being treated as an OSAS patient. if you had OSA then the doctor would have had told you NOT to report it to the DVLA and as you see from the forms there is no tick box for OSA because it's not reportable.

To be considered a NON OSAS sufferer at very least you need to be able to ditch the CPAP with the consent of the docs.

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:14 pm

FuriousD wrote:Hi,
I have been diagnosed today, been given my machine and will be using tonight.
It was a big low for me, i drive about 40K per year and it is a major part of my job. I also od a lot of track days so it is a hobby.
I am going to fill out the SL1 form and tell the insurance company but am worried. The consultant said i was ok to drive and must inform them as i have my machine,
D
i drive an awful lot 30K plus a year been diagnosed for 10 plus years been using CPAP continuously throughout. I think that maybe i had a very good consultant whom understood the consequences of loosing a license or screwing up the DVLA notification process.

Simply put he told me upon diagnosis that i was NOT to drive and issued me with a CPAP machine on the spot he then told me to return to the hospital after a few weeks and then they would see my results from the CPAP. I took time off work walked everywhere and returned a few weeks later, doc told me my results were good and that i must now tell the DVLA but because i had now some evidence to provide i was using the CPAP there would not be a problem and there wasn't

If anybody is initially diagnosed with OSAS clearly DON'T DRIVE under any circumstances but also wait until you have some data and you are comfortable with CPAP before contacting the DVLA, (for me it was 2 weeks not sure how long it is now)

Harrygary
Private Snorer

Post by Harrygary » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:57 pm

I have had sleep apnoea for 3 years and it under control I was not told to tell the DVLA I had a Medical for my hgv license last year and the doctor did not even mention it and he put down NO where it asked if I ever had sleep apnoea so I've just sent off for my provisional coach license and I put down no as well, so I don't think the hospital does tell the DVLA if I get found out I will just pretend I didn't know , I've lost 2 stone and i hardy snore any more without the Machine

ceejayblue
Major Snorer

Post by ceejayblue » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:46 pm

I'm sorry but your post has made me very angry! Besides being very irresponsible and not letting the DVLA know you are also breaking the law, especially as an HGV driver. You may have lost weight and not snore as much any more but that doesn't necessarily mean you are not having any apnoeas in the night. I cannot believe that you have not told your employers either or the doctor at the medical!

If you were to have an accident the very least that would happen would be that your insurance is invalid and you wouldn't be covered at all and at worst you could kill someone! Pleading ignorance of the rules that you actually do know is disgraceful and would not get you off any court proceedings should you have an accident and it would be deemed your fault that you didn't let the authorities know. The DVLA, as long as you prove that you are in control, wouldn't take your license away so I really don't know why you didn't just tell them!

Here are the up to date Government guidelines!

https://www.gov.uk/obstructive-sleep-apnoea-and-driving

Kitiara
Private Snorer

Post by Kitiara » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:30 pm

I have been diagnosed with SA, but other than the "snoring" and using a mandibular device I have no other problems - do I need to inform the DVLA as do not use any mechanical aids when I sleep?

Thanks

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:58 am

Hi all,

My Doctor advised me to contact the DVLA and that at present I should not drive. He also advised it was better to temporary voluntary surrender my licence. Which I have done I also inform my insurance hoping to down grade my car insurance as it would be off road and not be used until I can get my licence back. They said as I have now told them they would have to cancel my car insurance and that would cost me £75, they would not shift on this. So the car is now SORN and uninsured.

As I am also unable to work at the moment I did however get a letter telling me I know get free public travel to and from Hospital etc, still would prefer to drive but not as I am.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:24 pm

Unusual stand on this by your insurance company, however as you are not allowed to drive at the moment maybe they thought you might be tempted to. Normally when you tell the insurance company they just record it.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

ceejayblue
Major Snorer

Post by ceejayblue » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:46 am

Does seem strange to me too! After all cars can be stolen even if they are off road so what happens then? I know when I told my insurers (I was learning to drive at the time) they just noted it on my insurance and said it wouldn't affect my premium. I think I'd appeal that decision if I were you or find another insurer when you get your license back.

Post by Guest » Mon May 18, 2015 1:04 pm

Hello,

Ive been feeling weary during the day of late and when having a break I have sometimes nodded off instead of reading etc. Many evenings find me nodding off in front of the TV. This is all rather new so I went to the GP who asked me some relevant questions regarding snoring and waking up. I do snore and my wife has noticed that I have indeed stopped breathing for a few seconds from time to time over the years, she usually kicks me!
These symptoms have apparently been far less since I gave up smoking over a year ago. I have never had any drowsiness when driving or indeed whenever I am engaged in some activity, only when I stop for a while. I asked if some of this could be due to my increased weight over the last few years , I am 18 stone at present.

Sleep apnoea was not mentioned specifically and whilst I obviously do have one or two symptoms my GP just suggested that I monitor any increase in tiredness and report back if necessary.

I'm perfectly happy with the above and need to lose some weight anyhow but will my GP say anything to the DVLA or indeed do I need to?

Any help gratefully received.

Thank you

ceejayblue
Major Snorer

Post by ceejayblue » Tue May 19, 2015 3:27 pm

I doubt that he will inform the DVLA until you have been actually diagnosed, because to me it does sound like sleep apnoea so I would personally push for a referral. I was referred and found out that my apnoeas were lasting up to 59secs at a time and I was living life like a zombie with no energy, falling asleep at the drop of a hat and sometimes in mid zap of the tv remote. I would definitely get it checked further.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Tue May 19, 2015 4:21 pm

Until you have been diagnosed he has nothing to report.
Unless he considers you a danger on the road.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

dazultra2000
Private Snorer

Post by dazultra2000 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:18 am

Hello, I was diagnosed with sleep apnoea yesterday. The consultant didn't specify if it was OSA or OSAS but she did tell me to stop driving and inform the DVLA, so I'm guessing it's OSAS.
Anyway, I have to wait to be referred to the sleep clinic before I get a CPAP machine, and she told me it could be several months before that happens. I'm devastated.

My question is about the SL1 form. I've filled it out, and have to say no to "Is your sleep condition under control?" and "Are you now free from excessive drowsiness?".

As I understand it, that's an instant revokation of license. I've also read it's of benefit to me if I surrender my license rather than have it revoked - do I simply put my license in with the SL1 form?

Does anyone have any advice on how I can get a CPAP machine ASAP? I have a disabled wife and son and need to ferry them to various appointments, often quite a significant distance from home, so need to be able to drive in order for them to get their treatment. I understand I can rent them, but I need to know what my prescription would be, which I wouldn't otherwise get until my referral comes through.

TIA

ceejayblue
Major Snorer

Post by ceejayblue » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:59 am

I was quite lucky, I went to ENT first because of my snoring and was referred onto the sleep clinic at Woolwich Queen Elizabeth Hospital within a couple of months, did an at home sleep test over a weekend, took the test back on the Monday and came home with my machine, that was over 10 years ago. However, I do know it can be a bit of a lottery in other areas.

I don't know about hiring a machine, they need to be calibrated to your specific needs and its not something I would want to do on my own or get a salesman who may not be medically or technically qualified to do. To buy they are very expensive too.

It might be worth your while speaking to the consultant again and explaining that you need to be able to drive because of your family circumstances. Whatever you do, don't drive until you have your machine. Also you must inform your car insurer as if you did drive and had an accident your insurance would be void and knowing you have OSA/OSAS and not informing the DVLA would result in a £1000 fine.

Hopefully, if you push things you will get into the sleep clinic sooner rather than later. My CPAP saved my life and made me feel like a human being again.