Find the type of snorer you are.
CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

Do I need to tell the DVLA I have sleep apnoea?

Talk about all aspects of sleep apnoea. Request help from others with the same problem, tell your story, exchange tips & techniques ..
dazultra2000
Private Snorer

Re: Do I need to tell the DVLA I have sleep apnoea?

Post by dazultra2000 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:53 pm

Do you know what your ahi score was ?
Or did he say what level of osa you have ?
Have you ever fell asleep at the wheel when driving ?

Are you sure that you have a definate diagnosis of osa ?
1. No
2. No
3. No
4. She said it was "obstructive sleep apnoea" but no more than that. She said I need to stop driving and inform the DVLA.

If you are in a position to buy yourself i would recommend a company called Resmed UK
She did mention them, and said she'd send me information on it. Sounds pricey though...
You fill the form in now and your license is revoked till on therapy without a doubt.
I did not inform the DVLA till i was 6 months in on therapy.
I did not have my license revoked had a reply back in 8 days to carry on driving .
Did you not have to fill in a form with your initial diagnosis date on it though? Would the 6 months gap between diagnosis and them getting the form not cause massive trouble? Everything I've read says I need to stop driving immediately and send my license back to the DVLA (as if I don't send it back they will revoke it which makes it harder to get it back when I am on treatment).

Driving is essential for me, but I don't want a £1000 fine or have my insurance terminated as a result. I'm very confused now.

dazultra2000
Private Snorer

Post by dazultra2000 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:30 am

I've stopped driving for now (caught the bus into work for the first time today) but I've not sent the letter off just yet. Not had my referral letter for CPAP just yet (hoping it's today) but I will definitely take your advice on calling for cancellations.

They definitely said I'd need CPAP (I had previously been to this clinic in 2011 but it did not show any problems, and they suggested I buy a mandibular advancement device at that point - which I didn't because I'd only gone in for snoring).

I just don't want to be too hasty with my letter to the DVLA if my referral happens to come through the day after offering me a near-immediate appointment - but how long do I play the waiting game for?

Mez
Private Snorer

Post by Mez » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:22 pm

Hi I'm new here. Feeling upset, angry and confused!

I was diagnosed in 2012 and offered CPAP machine which I declined. I was not told to inform DVLA. My symptoms got worse and I agreed to try a machine in December last year. I was told to inform DVLA but they said nothing about stopping driving.

I didn't inform DVLA for fear of losing my licence.

To be honest the CPAP has been rubbish even though I use it every night. I had an appointment today and they told me to inform DVLA or they would. I discovered this forum today and thought I'd see what experiences other people have had but all it has done is confuse and anger me as everyone seems to have had different experiences.

Only I could be picking up a new car tomorrow and now risk losing my licence!

It will me a three bus journey for me to get to work and a 30 min journey will take about an hour and a half.

Well fed up!

ceejayblue
Major Snorer

Post by ceejayblue » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:43 pm

Not only is at an offence not to inform the DVLA, there is a £1000 fine, and you also have to inform your car insurers and any travel insurer you may use.

Driving whilst knowingly suffering from OSA is irresponsible and potentially, should you drop off at the wheel could end up in a serious accident (as in the Glasgow bin lorry accident before Christmas last year). I don't want to scare you but you have to persevere with the CPAP, I've had mine for over 10 years now and I still don't like it but without it I would be a walking zombie. Your clinic should be able to check your readings on your machine to see if you are benefiting from it, even if you don't think you are. Also, they can change the headgear and masks to suit your face if you aren't comfortable with it.

Please let the DVLA know, as long as you are managing to control the OSA with the CPAP machine they shouldn't take your licence but you must inform them. If they do take it away, its not a permanent thing so as soon as you can get it controlled you let them know and hopefully they will return it to you.

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:01 pm

I know it's an offence and irresponsible but I feel forced into not informing them as no doubt we are discriminated against with insurance premiums etc. My car is essential to me. If I honestly felt I was at risk of nodding off I wouldn't drive at all. driving is about the one place I don't nod off as I'm active.

I have persevered with the machine (7 months) and I'm not that conscious about wearing it anymore but it just isn't doing anything other than stopping me snore (apparently). I feel no better and dare I say it worse! But now I feel I have to lie to my consultant in order to keep my licence.

At this rate things will never get better.

ChickenStu
Private Snorer

Post by ChickenStu » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:19 pm

I've been worried about this. I don't drive much in my life but occasionally I need to. I've not been diagnosed with anything yet so I'm just going to carry on. To be honest - I actually have never had an incident of being sleepy behind the wheel. I'm not just saying that, it's the God's honest truth - but I have AVOIDED driving when feeling tired before now - or taken a short power nap beforehand.
I guess I'll wait and see what's said! :/

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:14 pm

If your consultant is happy you are compliant with your treatment you will not loose your licence, most insurance firms do not put up the premium due to Sleep Apnoea as the dangerous driver is the untreated one.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

ceejayblue
Major Snorer

Post by ceejayblue » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:07 pm

Sleep2snore if he tells them he's fine and lies then they will take his word for it! When I go for my check ups I have to fill in the form for the Epworth scale, I tell the truth, but I could lie and they would believe me!

It is against the law not to inform the DVLA and I can't sugar coat it, I think its dreadful that Guest is even considering lying about his OSA! The fact that he says his car is essential to him should make him tell the truth, get things sorted and get the OSA under control! Sitting in the clinic where I go is a picture of a driver of a lorry who killed someone and seriously injured himself because he didn't get his OSA sorted and didn't tell his employer and the DVLA he was having problems.

I have no sympathy whatsoever with someone who chooses to lie about such a serious thing as suffering from OSA. Sorry if it offends anyone but we all have a responsibility to the wider community and not just ourselves.

Mez
Private Snorer

Post by Mez » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:50 pm

But if things haven't improved in 7 months how long will it take?

I simply can't go with out my car indefinitely. I will of course inform DVLA as I have no choice.

I feel like a bloody drink driver! If I thought for one second I was a serious risk on the road I'd never drive again.

ceejayblue
Major Snorer

Post by ceejayblue » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:30 pm

The problem is, as I said before, you sometimes may not realise you are as tired as you are! I once was in mid conversation when I dropped off and my children still laugh about the time I pointed the remote control at the tv to change channel and dropped off mid zap!

In the eyes of the law people with uncontrolled OSA are as bad as drink and drug drivers and we have to be doubly sure we are fit to drive (my insulin diabetic friend has to do a blood test before she goes on long journeys to check her blood glucose levels are high enough and if they aren't she can't drive until they are!).

I got immediate improvement when I got my CPAP which is why you need to be absolutely truthful with your consultant, tell him that you are still having problems, it might be they need to check the settings on your machine or you may need blood tests to rule out other reasons, like diabetes or iron and vit D deficiency.

Hope that you get it sorted, it is dreadful to feel so wretched all the time.

pav
Private Snorer

Post by pav » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:52 pm

When I was diagnosed I lost my licence for around 18 months as at the time I had to buy my own cpap equipment and DVLA wanted at least 12 months of checks from the hospital that I was having treatment and it was working. It was a bind having no car for that length of time.

Since then my local hospital now provide cpap equipment, friends who have since been diagnosed and get issued with the equipment straight away and then notify DVLA get to keep their driving licence. DVLA work in mysterious circumstances in how they deam who keeps their licence and those who do not.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:03 pm

In the earlier day the DVLA had not much experience in accessing people with Sleep Apnoea.
Due to a Professor from a sleep clinic joining the medical team they have been educated a bit better, so now they only need to know that you are compliant with treatment and not feeling fatigued.
At least, the last time I spoke to the professor (years ago) he was joining the medical team.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Teedee
Private Snorer

Post by Teedee » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:01 am

I’m new to the world of sleep apnoea, although I’ve probably been suffering from it for years without realising! I had a home sleep test last August, and after a couple of cancellations I got to see a consultant on 7th January this year. The test showed that I have severe sleep apnoea, with an AHI of 42.7 per hour, hypopnoea 35.2 per hour and average oxygen saturation of 87%.

Only five days later I attended the local NHS Sleep Clinic for a video presentation and mask fitting, and I now have a ResMed Autoset S9 sitting beside the bed. I’m very impressed with the speed at which this all happened.

On the first night of using the machine I had 7.1 hours sleep, an AHI of 0.0, and my wife enjoyed total silence throughout the night . . . such silence that she didn’t sleep, for fear that I had died! Subsequently I have used the machine for a further eight nights, and during this time my AHI has not exceeded 0.4, during an average sleep time of 7 hours. I am using nasal pillows, and thus far I have found them to be very comfortable.

The sleep nurse at the clinic advised that I should not inform the DVLA of my condition until I have returned to the clinic on 28th January, so I am optimistic that providing my results are maintained, my driving licence may not be in jeopardy! I would be interested to know what other people have experienced when dealing with the DVLA.

I would say at the moment that my overall experience has been excellent, and the folk at the Sleep Clinic are extremely supportive . . . no complaints from me!

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:13 pm

My advice is to go with their advice. :)

Good to hear that your experience so far has been good.
It does help when the clinic get the right mask and size first time.
Any problems you do get, phone up and speak to the Sleep Nurse.
Looks like you are off to an excellent start :)
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:16 am

Just a quick update . . . Having sent off my SL1 form to the DVLA, I have received a letter from them to say that they will write to my Consultant sometime in the next six weeks to confirm that he is happy for me to continue driving.

At my last Sleep Clinic appointment they were very happy with my results, and don’t want to see me again until February 2017, so I guess this augurs well! I await a final decision from the DVLA, but since I don’t have any daytime sleepiness, and no-one has told me to stop driving, I’ll carry on!