Find the type of snorer you are.
CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

Do I need to tell the DVLA I have sleep apnoea?

Talk about all aspects of sleep apnoea. Request help from others with the same problem, tell your story, exchange tips & techniques ..

Re: Do I need to tell the DVLA I have sleep apnoea?

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:28 pm

Teedee wrote:I’m new to the world of sleep apnoea, although I’ve probably been suffering from it for years without realising! I had a home sleep test last August, and after a couple of cancellations I got to see a consultant on 7th January this year. The test showed that I have severe sleep apnoea, with an AHI of 42.7 per hour, hypopnoea 35.2 per hour and average oxygen saturation of 87%.

Only five days later I attended the local NHS Sleep Clinic for a video presentation and mask fitting, and I now have a ResMed Autoset S9 sitting beside the bed. I’m very impressed with the speed at which this all happened.

On the first night of using the machine I had 7.1 hours sleep, an AHI of 0.0, and my wife enjoyed total silence throughout the night . . . such silence that she didn’t sleep, for fear that I had died! Subsequently I have used the machine for a further eight nights, and during this time my AHI has not exceeded 0.4, during an average sleep time of 7 hours. I am using nasal pillows, and thus far I have found them to be very comfortable.

The sleep nurse at the clinic advised that I should not inform the DVLA of my condition until I have returned to the clinic on 28th January, so I am optimistic that providing my results are maintained, my driving licence may not be in jeopardy! I would be interested to know what other people have experienced when dealing with the DVLA.

I would say at the moment that my overall experience has been excellent, and the folk at the Sleep Clinic are extremely supportive . . . no complaints from me!
Exactly what happened to me albeit a long long time ago, i was diagnosed with OSA fitted with a machine and mask within a week results were almost instant and got the same advice from my consultant which was do NOT say anything until my follow up so that they had some data to make sure all was well however he made it very very clear DO NOT DRIVE

£1000 fine blah blah blah for not telling them well maybe maybe not there are several posts on here that suggest that is not the case BUT have an accident then expect the book to be thrown at you. Whatever your results and they will prob be good you will be told regardless that you must tell the DVLA at the appointment

I didn't drive for almost 4 weeks but fortunately 2 of those weeks spanned christmas and i world from home for the other two all worked out well BUT DO NOT DRIVE then you wont have an accident and the CPAP will improve your quality of life no end, it saved my life and my career to be honest.

Prouddaddy
Private Snorer

Re:

Post by Prouddaddy » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:11 pm

Neil wrote:Heh, just found another link to a news article....

http://icnorthwales.icnetwork.co.uk/new ... _page.html

Seems the poor chap went to see a doctor, got diagnosed with OSA, then soon after had a letter from the DVLA telling him his license had been revoked due to the condition.

The majority of sites I found suggest that it is either the legal responsibility of the driver, or the consulting doctor to inform the DVLA, so I guess I might be getting a letter in the post in the not too distant future. Oh joy.

Apparently you can reapply for the license if it is revoked, if your doctor is happy that you are on treatment, and it is managing your condition (and will testify as such).

Interesting that the news article referred to OSA as a 'rare sleep disorder' considering the number of people it apparently affects.
That link Dosent seem to work anymore?

meanttobeworking
Corporal Snorer

Post by meanttobeworking » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:59 pm

The form the DVLA ask you to fill in (https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 51/SL1.pdf) includes the question:

4. Are you now free of excessive drowsiness?

This implies that one had excessive drowsiness to begin with. If I'm not experiencing excessive drowsiness (or any other symptoms other than having a bit less energy than your average person), should I be explaining this at my first consultant appointment and hope he agrees that my symptoms do not affect my driving?

Not looking for guarantees from anyone here, just opinions :)

donjuan400
Corporal Snorer

Post by donjuan400 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:41 am

I am just renewing my driving license and the question on the D1 paper form is "do you have any of the following" and OSAS is there,not OSA.I rang my Doctor, and they confirmed i have OSA,so to me that means i dont have to tell the DVLA.It doesnt mention OSA in the list,so theres nothing to tick anyway.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:01 pm

OSAS = Obstructive Sleep Apnoea Syndrome. In other words Obstructive Sleep Apnoea (OSA).
S2S - Sleep2Snore

donjuan400
Corporal Snorer

Post by donjuan400 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:16 am

Sleep2Snore wrote:OSAS = Obstructive Sleep Apnoea Syndrome. In other words Obstructive Sleep Apnoea (OSA).
2 different things as far as i can make out.No need to tell the DVLA if you have OSA otherwise it would be on the D1 form for renewing your license.
http://www.realsleep.co.uk/rsuk/sleep-a ... iving.html
About 1 third of the way done it says "what is the difference between OSA and OSAS.
"If you have OSA, without daytime sleepiness sufficient to impair driving, you do not have to notify the DVLA"

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:17 am

Obstructive sleep apnoea (OSA) is a condition which affects approximately 5% of the population, but which often goes undiagnosed. If you have OSA with symptoms, so called Obstructive Sleep Apnoea Syndrome (OSAS), and it is not treated, this can be very dangerous to your health.
It is the same thing.

What is Obstructive Sleep Apnoea (OSA)?

OSA is a condition that affects breathing while you are sleeping, due to partial or total closure of the airway behind the tongue. This:

Disrupts your normal breathing pattern
Causes your body to briefly wake up to restore normal breathing
May prevent you from enjoying a good night's rest
Is nearly always accompanied by loud snoring

What is Obstructive Sleep Apnoea Syndrome (OSAS)?

OSAS is a more severe form of OSA where there is evidence of both a disruption of normal breathing patterns during sleep, and symptoms such as excessive sleepiness in the daytime. OSAS occurs in approximately a quarter of those with OSA. If you suffer from OSAS, the pauses in breathing can happen hundreds of times a night, which most of the time you won't be aware of. This means you're getting less of the restorative kind of sleep required to enable you to work with the levels of energy and concentration needed to drive safely.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

donjuan400
Corporal Snorer

Post by donjuan400 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:31 pm

How can it be the same thing when in your quotes
"Obstructive sleep apnoea (OSA) is a condition which affects approximately 5% of the population" and

Quote "OSAS is a more severe form of OSA" both different conditions,OSAS more severe.
"OSAS is a more severe form of OSA where there is evidence of both a disruption of normal breathing patterns during sleep, and symptoms such as excessive sleepiness in the daytime" That end part is the difference. "excessive sleepiness in the daytime".

If the DVLA wanted to know if you have OSA, there would be a check box to tick on the license renewel form.Theres not.
On the DVLA website, i think i read on here that if you put down you have OSA they ask you "do you suffer from excessive sleepiness in the day" If you say yes,then theres your OSAS condition.

Rancid

Post by Rancid » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:44 pm

I am going through the DVLA get your licence back obstacle course at present, two things I would say, from the start keep all records, dates of appointments and so on, photocopy any forms that you send to the DVLA to keep for your records, should for any reason you should have to resend.
They may try the old trick of "sorry we have lost your forms, can you re do them", at least if you have kept a copy the answers will be the same. :lol:

From my experience it takes weeks.

Tom86

Post by Tom86 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:55 pm

You do need to inform the DVLA, your doctor will be able to tell you about the severity of your condition and advise on whether you should drive or not.

Depending on the severity of your condition, the DVLA may or may not stop your license.

You also need to tell your insurance company, or this might nullify any claim in the event of an accident.

Good luck!

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Mon May 22, 2017 11:19 pm

February 2017
www.gov.uk/dvla/fitnesstodrive
There is a new guide out for Doctors which they must report to the DVLA.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AHI below 15 (Mild) Sleep Apnoea. CAR and Motorcycles: - Must NOT drive but need not report to DVLA. Driving may resume only after satisfactory symptom control.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AHI of 15-29 (Moderate) & 30+ (Severe) CAR and Motorcycles: - Must not drive and must notify the DVLA.
This requirement also applies for a suspected diagnosis yet to be confirmed.
Subsequent licensing will require: Control of condition. Sleepiness improved.
Treatment adherence.
The DVLA will need medical confirmation of the above, and the driver must confirm
review to be undertaken every 3 years at the minimum.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Apnoea – moderate and severe Apnoeas without sleepiness:

AHI 15 to 29 (moderate) AHI 30 or more (severe) on the apnoea-hypopnoea
index or equivalent sleep study measure: -

AHI 30 or more (severe) on the apnoea-hypopnoea index or equivalent
sleep study measure.
Must not drive but need not notify the DVLA.
Driving may resume once associated symptoms such as poor concentration have been brought under control.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lorries and Bus drivers are another minefield and need medicals and a more stringent conditions to be adhered to to keep your licence, but all MUST NOT DRIVE and report it to DVLA.
See here page 102 chaptor 8
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... ionals.pdf

But Car and Motorcycles drivers, you can still drive, though your licence may be suspended for a while.
The other thing that you should be aware of is that you must inform your car insurance.

Bus and Lorry drivers, read the above. This is intended for doctors and is just part of the document of reportable medical conditions.
See the above document for full details. You will need a .pdf reader.
You may still get your licence back, but please read the above .pdf link. Group 2.

Hope this helps.

S2S
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Mon May 22, 2017 11:32 pm

i was diagnosed with OSA fitted with a machine and mask within a week results were almost instant and got the same advice from my consultant which was do NOT say anything until my follow up so that they had some data to make sure all was well however he made it very very clear DO NOT DRIVE

£1000 fine blah blah blah for not telling them well maybe maybe not there are several posts on here that suggest that is not the case BUT have an accident then expect the book to be thrown at you. Whatever your results and they will prob be good you will be told regardless that you must tell the DVLA at the appointment

I didn't drive for almost 4 weeks but fortunately 2 of those weeks spanned christmas and i world from home for the other two all worked out well BUT DO NOT DRIVE then you wont have an accident and the CPAP will improve your quality of life no end, it saved my life and my career to be honest.
Good advice. Better safe than sorry. Remember to tell your car insurance company as well.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Mezola
Private Snorer

Post by Mezola » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:02 pm

If you do fill in the online - and answer "No" to "Is your condition under control" - Symptomatic or not, you'll get your licence revoked. (that's what I was told after querying why mine was revoked without contacting the clinic)

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:45 am

Be clever wait till your on therapy then inform the DVLA that way you will not have your license revoked .

Pretty simple really ???

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:55 pm

Guest wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:45 am
Be clever wait till your on therapy then inform the DVLA that way you will not have your license revoked .

Pretty simple really ???
It is for those that can become compliant in the first few weeks.
S2S - Sleep2Snore