CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

DLA (Disability Living Allowance) & Sleep Apnoea

Talk about all aspects of sleep apnoea. Request help from others with the same problem, tell your story, exchange tips & techniques ..
dan
Site Admin

DLA (Disability Living Allowance) & Sleep Apnoea

Post by dan » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:28 pm

We are commonly asked about Disability Living Allowance (DLA) eligibility by sleep apnoea sufferers. We contacted the government directly asking for a definitive statement. They replied as follows :

"The Decision Maker makes a decision regarding the needs that arise from a disability rather than the disability itself."

An additional supplied document on eligibility read as follows :

Disability Living Allowance - eligibility

You may be able to get Disability Living Allowance if you are aged under 65 and you have needed supervision or help with personal care, or had walking difficulties because of a physical or mental disability for three months, and you are likely to need this help or have these difficulties for at least another six months.

If you have care needs
To get the care component of Disability Living Allowance, your disability must be severe enough for you to either:
  • need help with things such as washing, dressing, eating, getting to and using the toilet, or communicating your needs
  • need supervision to avoid you putting yourself or others in substantial danger
  • need someone with you when you are on dialysis
  • be unable to prepare a cooked main meal for yourself (if you had the ingredients), if you are aged 16 or over
There are three rates of care component depending on how your disability affects you:
  • the lowest rate, if you need help or supervision for some of the day or you are unable to prepare a cooked main meal
  • the middle rate, if you need help with personal care frequently or supervision continually throughout the day only, or help with personal care or someone to watch over you during the night only, or someone with you while on dialysis
  • the highest rate, if you need help or supervision frequently throughout the day and during the night
You can get Disability Living Allowance for your care needs even if no one is actually giving you the care you need, even if you live alone.

If you have mobility needs
To get the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance, your disability must be severe enough for you to have any of the following walking difficulties, even when wearing or using an aid or equipment you normally use:
  • you are unable or virtually unable to walk, or you have no feet or legs
  • you are assessed to be both 100% disabled because of loss of eyesight and not less than 80% disabled because of deafness and you need someone with you when you are out of doors
  • you are severely mentally impaired with severe behavioural problems and qualify for the highest rate of care component
  • the effort of walking could threaten your life or seriously affect your health
  • you need guidance or supervision from another person when walking out of doors in unfamiliar places
There are two rates of the mobility component depending on how your disability affects you:
  • the lower rate, if you need guidance or supervision out of doors
  • the higher rate, if you have any of the other, more severe, walking difficulties
You may be entitled to only the care component or only the mobility component, or you may be entitled to both.

If you are claiming for an ill or disabled child
Your child must need a lot more help or supervision than other children of the same age.
You can claim for care needs before a child is aged three months, but benefit will not be paid before the child reaches the age of three months unless they are paid under 'special rules' (see below).
You can claim for mobility needs from:
  • age three, if your child is unable, or virtually unable, to walk
  • age three, if your child is assessed to be both 100% disabled because of loss of eyesight and not less than 80% disabled because of deafness
  • age three, if your child is severely mentally impaired with severe behavioural problems and qualifies for the highest rate of care component
  • age five, if your child needs guidance or supervision when walking out of doors
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/CaringForSo ... /index.htm

Special rules - if you are terminally ill
If you have a progressive disease and are not reasonably expected to live for more than another six months, there are special rules to help you get Disability Living Allowance more quickly and easily. You can get the highest rate of the care component immediately without waiting until you have needed help for three months.

You can make a claim for someone under the special rules without them knowing or without their permission. If they satisfy the relevant conditions, they will get a letter saying that they have been awarded Disability Living Allowance, but special rules will not be mentioned.

Your circumstances
There are certain conditions about your circumstances and your residence and presence which you need to meet to get Disability Living Allowance.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAnd ... G_10012424

You can contact the Disability Living Allowance/Attendance Allowance Helpline on 08457 123456 from 7.30am-6.30pm Monday-Friday or if you have use of a text phone (if you are hard of hearing) call 08457 224433.
Dan Kew
British Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Association

01737 245638
www.britishsnoring.co.uk
Image Image Image

scooterchick

Re: DLA (Disability Living Allowance) & Sleep Apnoea

Post by scooterchick » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:47 pm

I applaid as I have sleep apnea and a 40% tracheal stenosis { narrowing of the windpipe}, due to scarring from a trachiotomy when i was a child hospital says they can do nothing and i just have to learn to live with it.....

DLA say I dont qualify for any help

Wot I want to know is how poeple get it with a bad back etc so cant work yet I then see them out working on cars and lugging heavy loads around!!!!!!

Mountain

Post by Mountain » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:33 pm

How about us with both :D

I've just applied for DLA (Why not, I've paid in for 30 years!). I can't do a lot of things that I used to which has taken me a while to come to terms with.

This is mainly due to my multilevel cervical disc disease & myelopathy, but I put down OSA as well as the two problems exacerbate each other. Note being able to sleep due to discomfort & pain doesn't help the OSA & vice versa.

I do work. Always have. I'm signed off at the mo though and it will be my first long term sick leave ever and I'm on the urgent list for my first discectomy and fusion :( 3 need doing one at a time so I'll be having an op, recovering, going back to work & then going through it all again for a few years.

I also need to fix my car exhaust but I can't at the minute :D

Certainly from my own experience, what I can do varies from day to day. I usually start feeling better after resting up, get bored, do to much and then suffer and can't do much- then back to square one..resting..boredom...

So, some people may just be doing stuff on a good day.

However, there are a lot of people that just play the system as we all know. :evil: Unfortunately, they always seem to get away with it whilst those in need struggle to get the help they both need and deserve.

scooterchick

Post by scooterchick » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:56 pm

Good luck Mountain,

I hope you have better luck then I had. On top of my osa and breathing problems I also have ostoe arthritus in my hands whitch at times affect my job, ...yes at 52 I'm becoming useless lol

I too have paid in all my working life, have good and bad days, just asked for a little help, but powers that be say NO, or as we say in work 'computer says NO'.

Please forgive spelling, hands not working too well at pres...I blame all this rain lol :lol:

GJ

Mountain

Post by Mountain » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:31 am

To be honest, most types that abuse the system ham it up I expect.

It seems that it depends on how restricted you are in doing everyday things. I just filled in the form honestly, which was probably a bad idea LOL. As you say a little help for genuine problems after a lifetime of paying in isn't much to ask, when some people have made a career out of being 'professionally disabled'

I know that my hands are effected due to nerve compression, and I just can't do somethings when they are bad......shirt buttons are a nightmare, plus dropping things in supermarkets :oops: I think when applying for these things do it as your worst ever day.....
Did they write to your GP? I think if you have a decent GP they will approach it from the 'getting the patient any help they can' angle.

Yeah, I know how you feel with the 'becoming useless' thing :cry: And the Govt. wants us to pay more and work longer LOL :roll:

Damp weather does seem to make things worse too....not exactly good for the mind either!!!

Oh well, adapt and survive :)

sampei

Post by sampei » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:04 am

scooterchick wrote:I applaid as I have sleep apnea and a 40% tracheal stenosis { narrowing of the windpipe}, due to scarring from a trachiotomy when i was a child hospital says they can do nothing and i just have to learn to live with it.....

Wot I want to know is how poeple get it with a bad back etc so cant work yet I then see them out working on cars and lugging heavy loads around!!!!!!
I have the same condition where are you from?

Hornblower

Post by Hornblower » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:06 pm

I have just applied for DLA or PIP as it is known as now. Been unable to work for over four years now. Got notice of redundancy one Saturday, had a bad heart attack on Sunday after blood tests in hospital I was diagnosed diabetic and put on insulin, being a HGV driver I automatically lost my license and my career of 35yrs. since all this happened I have constant trouble walking because of claudication in my calves, this is due to the diabetes eating away at blood vessels in my legs and narrowing of the arteries I was advised that a graft would be very risky an could result in amputation so I struggle on with it.I have just been diagnosed with Sleep Apnoea, and just had a very bad week with the mask, I also have severely badly worn vertebrae in my neck. Last November I had a triple heart bypass (this did not cure irregular heart beat).
I have had cameras in my heart and down my legs, x-rays. All my complaints have be dealt with by consultants and they have all written reports to back up my claim, which has been refused twice before, I should have just claimed I had a Bad back.
I suppose you have guessed by now I am also suffering from depression.

hope I haven't sent you to sleep.All the best ....HORNBLOWER

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:54 pm

sampei wrote:
scooterchick wrote:I applaid as I have sleep apnea and a 40% tracheal stenosis { narrowing of the windpipe}, due to scarring from a trachiotomy when i was a child hospital says they can do nothing and i just have to learn to live with it.....

My son is 16 months old and I can't sleep at night due to constant worrying do you know if DLA will pay for someone to watch him for a few hours whilst I sleep

SleeplessinSalop
Captain Snorer

Post by SleeplessinSalop » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:27 pm

Guest wrote: My son is 16 months old and I can't sleep at night due to constant worrying do you know if DLA will pay for someone to watch him for a few hours whilst I sleep
I some how doubt it, but if you could get your son to rouse you from your sleep around every 4 to 7 minutes every night , night after night, month after month, year after year, like some of us on here, I would suggest you apply mind you the way the system works especially with people who take the **** you probably would get it.

ChrisPembs

Post by ChrisPembs » Sat May 17, 2014 10:13 am

Hello Everyone :)

I a new here but after having some experience with the whole benefit system helping out a relative earlier this year I had to chime in.

It does see unfair in many ways and yes we all can see people around us claiming this that and the other and then doing what seems to be very manual and strenuous activities, hopefully now you will see less of them after the government shake-up but no doubt there will still bee the small percentage who have slipped through the net, unfortunate I know and it is unfair there will always be an element of people who get away with this no matter what anybody does.

PIP is the new name for DLA, DLA and now PIP has always been about what you can and cannot do, you can have a list of ailments as long as your arm if they do not stop you from being mobile or taking care of yourself then you will get nothing. This is where most people are going wrong, I see them all the time on another forum where they say they have this that and the other and have been declined PIP yet someone with a bad back has got it, the problem is the someone with the bad back has concentrated on telling them about how immobile they are and how they cannot walk very far and how they cannot do this that and the other, this is what the assessors are looking for. Same with Doctors and Consultants reports unless they say your illness impacts on your life because you can no longer do this that and the other then they are not worth the paper they are written on.

In order to get these benefits you have to no longer be able to do certain things, your illness has to affect your mobility and standard of life, if you are applying this is what you need to concentrate on when filling in the forms, you need to tell them just how much of an impact OSA is having on your day to day life and they will make a decision from there.

As a side note one of the reasons you claim such benefits is that in the long term you do not expect your illness to change for the positive, why would you expect your OSA to not improve over time? I ask this as an OSA newbie hence why I have joined this forum, I will go into more detail in a separate thread but my point is although at the moment I walk around like a zombie and have been through hell over the last 3 years I am hoping for a solution, I am hoping to be given a CPAP machine and from there expect things to get better, I am then hoping to lose a substantial amount of weight to improve things over the long term, so, for me I have not even thought of claiming anything as there seems to be light at the end of the tunnel, yes I am knackered constantly and it is a constant battle to just keep my eyes open, I do not need to tell any of you this but for me, as I presume for you to, life goes on, I may not be as active as I want to be but day to day but I still do what I have to do, life goes on, yes it is a nightmare at times but as said in the long term I am hoping things will improve. By trying to claim PIP are you not having the mindset of things are not going to improve and you are expecting to be like this forever?

JJ Johnny

Post by JJ Johnny » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:11 pm

sampei wrote:

You need to be very thorough in how you complete your forms. You won't get DLA if you say just what you have, you need to think of the very worst occurences that you have had, and explain the help you need because of that, not the good days, or the ok days, but the very worst times. You don't DLA for your illness, you get it for how it affects your life.

In your situation, tell them that you need someone to watch over you every night. If you're groggy enough (say from waking up suddenly due to a bad attack), tell them that you need help going to the bathroom - it's not a lie, in an ideal world you would like to have someone there for re-assurance at least.

I have to go now, just leaving work, but I'll try and update this later when I get home as I was pretty good at completing DLA forms for a lot of my neighbours.

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:35 am

Why would you need DLA for it? My partner has just been diagnosed with severe obstructive sa he was (stopping breathing every 55 seconds) after 8 months of suffering and still held his job down, he now has the CPAP machine and has no symptoms it's fantastic! I can understand if there are other medical issues but for Osa alone treatment can sort it.

ajay31
Sergeant Snorer

Post by ajay31 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:53 pm

I have sleep apnoea and also am bipolar type 2, I applied for dla but as I can work and function on a normal day to day basis I do not qualify. its a funny thing to qualify for any help as I know people who need far less support to have a normal life that qualify. best thing is to apply and see, but the interviewers do seem to struggle more on mental issues rather than physical impairments

BobJacob
Private Snorer

Post by BobJacob » Mon May 18, 2015 1:31 pm

You can claim DLA if you have sleep apnea?

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:37 am

DLA and now PIP is to pay for the extra costs associated with being disabled, ie, care, people and equipment to help you shower, dress and prepare meals and other things you can't do for yourself.
It has nothing to do with whether you can work or not and it is not to pay your living expenses. It is also not awarded simply for having a condition, but on the basis of how your condition affects your ability to do things for yourself. Why do you think you should be entitled to this for sleep apnoea?