CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

Jala Neti

Talk about all aspects of sleep apnoea. Request help from others with the same problem, tell your story, exchange tips & techniques ..
Roberto

Re: Jala Neti

Post by Roberto » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:25 pm

Glad to have been of assistance :D

(and my missus is much the same ;) )

Ken

Post by Ken » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:35 pm

Just want to say that Jala Neti have been mentioned briefly before by Silencia in this thread
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=231&hilit=
The thread is my way of getting saltwater to the back of my throat, clearing the upper airway (nasal passage) but using old nasal sprays, which in a way, would work out better for Meatcruncher, with his bad back.
I still use this method quite a lot, but originally I started when I was on CPAP for a fortnight back in April 2006. It felt like I was having a clean slate before putting my nasal mask on at night. I also have another spray which is marked H2O, being pure water, and I have a couple of sprays of this in each nostril, to sort of wash the salt away after the main clearout. I sit at the kitchen table with a piece of kitchenpaper at the ready throughout the whole procedure. ATB Ken

Roberto

Post by Roberto » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:50 pm

It's good to hear of other methods :)

At the end of the day, the principle is the same. I started off using a small syringe until my Neti pot arrived.

As has been pointed out in both threads, it is very important to follow a few certain rules. Never use regular table salt. It must be as pure as you can get. I've been using the Neti Salt from ShopNeti which is very cheap and almost 100% pure. I have recently had a 1kg bag of Himalayan salt delivered and will start using that when my current supply runs out. Regular salt contains anti caking agents as well as other things, all of which aren't healthy to be shoving up your hooter ;)

Secondly, you must always drain completely. When I first started, I wasn't quite good at it and would find a little trickle about 5 minutes after, especially if I had gone straight to bed. Blow with firm, but not too firm a, force and then hang your head down. I always do it so I can see backwards through my legs. Hold it there for 30 seconds or so, exhale firmly in bursts a few times and then slowly tilt your head forward so you are looking at the floor about 6 inches infront of your toes. If nothing trickles out, you should be good to go :)

Another benefit of Neti is the effect on your eyes. Because all these passages are connected, you should feel a sensation akin to tears welling up gently in your eyes as you rinse. I find that a few firm blinks pumps the water through a bit more and it really is a very refreshing feeling :)

It's such an incredibly simple practice and so cheap to do (unlike many holisitic treatments) and the benefits are so great, I can't understand why more people don't know about this. Well, hopefully, through these posts, we can rectify that :)

LaLa JeLi

Re: Jala Neti and the benefits of Spritual Healing

Post by LaLa JeLi » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:57 pm

It is said by those who know that colonic irrigation offers the same sorts of benefits to health and much more besides. Which is of course to do with the cleansing and purification of the mortal soul and earthly shell which is the body. If the routine is successfully followed then no greater earthly goal can be achieved, and peace and harmony ensues in no time at all.

Unity of purpose is established and all earthly woes are banished. All the arterial pathways and bronchial highways are freed from contamination. Oxygen levels are restored and in many cases it is possible to return to a normal life free of mechanical encumberances such as the cpap machine.

As a believer and a practicising convert I cannot speak highly enough of the benefits of this practice. But please dont take it from me if you are sceptical use Google to research the benefits. And believe me if you do you will never look back.Your life will for sure be transformed for the better.

Now I am sure there are many who will read this who may be sceptcal in which case all I can say is open your mind and please dont be so sceptical. After all you have nothing to lose!

Roberto

Post by Roberto » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:10 pm

Hear, hear :) Well said :)

BigEars

Post by BigEars » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:04 pm

Anonymous wrote: It is said by those who know that colonic irrigation offers the same sorts of benefits to health and much more besides. Which is of course to do with the cleansing and purification of the mortal soul and earthly shell which is the body. If the routine is successfully followed then no greater earthly goal can be achieved, and peace and harmony ensues in no time at all.

Unity of purpose is established and all earthly woes are banished. All the arterial pathways and bronchial highways are freed from contamination. Oxygen levels are restored and in many cases it is possible to return to a normal life free of mechanical encumberances such as the cpap machine.

As a believer and a practicising convert I cannot speak highly enough of the benefits of this practice. But please dont take it from me if you are sceptical use Google to research the benefits. And believe me if you do you will never look back.Your life will for sure be transformed for the better.

Now I am sure there are many who will read this who may be sceptcal in which case all I can say is open your mind and please dont be so sceptical. After all you have nothing to lose!

I'd quite like to the documentary evidence to support that statement. Can you post a reference please? So many supposed cures for CPAP are unsupported by evidence.

Roberto

Post by Roberto » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:55 am

BigEars wrote:
Anonymous wrote: It is said by those who know that colonic irrigation offers the same sorts of benefits to health and much more besides. Which is of course to do with the cleansing and purification of the mortal soul and earthly shell which is the body. If the routine is successfully followed then no greater earthly goal can be achieved, and peace and harmony ensues in no time at all.

I'd quite like to the documentary evidence to support that statement. Can you post a reference please? So many supposed cures for CPAP are unsupported by evidence.

I think LaLa JeLi's comments were more of a general nature, rather than being specific. That is certainly how I read them. I can't say I've ever seen any evidence that Jala Neti on it's own can relieve the need for a CPAP machine. In my experience, it makes for a much more comfortable experience when using my CPAP and also when I'm not.

There has recently been reports on how a technique called Singing For Snoring has helped many people to strengthen their throat muscles to a point that snoring is greatly reduced and in a few instances, negate the need for intervention by CPAP.

I think we can safely say that there is no "one cure for all", if indeed there is a cure. I would hazard an educated guess that OSA is, at present, incurable, just simply treatable to many varying degrees of success.

I am not a Yoga practitioner (although I often feel that if I had the inclination and determination it might benefit me) and Jala Neti is the only yogic thing I do, purely and simply for the reason that it benefits a very delicate part of my body that goes through the mill every day. It assisted the healing process of my nose after my Septoplasty and continues to maintain an excellent level of nasal health and condition that benefits me all day.

The scepticism that I believe LaLa is alluding to is that of people that may find it strange flushing your nasal passages with salt water every day, purely because the thought of it maybe scares them or comes across as un-natural or uncomfortable. As with many things, once you've tried it, you may actually find that it is nothing like you feared, however it is totally acceptable that certain people just won't get on with it.

Jala Neti is one of hundreds of alternative or holistic practices that can complement traditional medicine in bringing about a higher level of relief than any of them in isolation.

Without wanting to speak for LaLa, something of which I feel I may be guilty of already after reading back through this post, their over riding theme in their post is one of open mindedness. That is something I wholeheartedly applaud :)

Just my £0.02 ;)

P.S. Some Research Studies have been documented and can be found here....

http://matthewcox.org/neti/research.html

BigEars

Post by BigEars » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:41 pm

Roberto
I don't doubt that flushing out the nasal passages may give you lots of benefits in respect of easing congestion and that at least one poster on here has had success with singing for snorers. However, the only proven treatment for OSA is CPAP and for posters to "go all Gillian McKeith" with generalised statements about bodily highways and oxygenation does nothing to improve our understanding of the condition or its treatment.

best wishes

Roberto

Post by Roberto » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:04 pm

BigEars wrote: Roberto
I don't doubt that flushing out the nasal passages may give you lots of benefits in respect of easing congestion and that at least one poster on here has had success with singing for snorers. However, the only proven treatment for OSA is CPAP and for posters to "go all Gillian McKeith" with generalised statements about bodily highways and oxygenation does nothing to improve our understanding of the condition or its treatment.

best wishes

A fair point, Big Ears, and I agree that CPAP is currently the most successful treatment for OSA by far. Some posters here may disagree that it is a proven treatment as many have detailed unsuccessful times with CPAP where little or no benefit is achieved. However, Jala Neti, and other ancient yogic practices, are far from going "all Gillian McKeith" ;) It is quite clear that saline nasal irrigation promotes and aids a state of excellent nasal health. It flushes out the rubbish we inhale that the nose filters out (which of course is it's job) and it most certainly does increase oxygenation as it removes all the dirt & excess mucus that blocks this process in the nose. These are all medically proven facts and when you consider that every night, we blast a constant pressure of air in our nose which one may argue is just as un-natural a process as Jala Neti, giving the nasal and sinus passages a good clean can only be a good thing.

The other, more yogic, argument is that practices like Jala Neti benefit other body functions and promote a wider form of good health as the increase in oxygenation and reduction of contaminants means we reap far greater rewards on a physical scale.

It's a very interesting arena and one which will continue to be debated. Yoga and it's practices have been around for over 5000 years and millions of people reap the benefits daily. An open mind and a willingness to try a range of remedies will surely mean everyone can tailor a solution for themselves :)

All the best :)

LaLa JeLi

Post by LaLa JeLi » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:09 pm

BigEars wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

As I said you can easily use Google to search for evidence about the efficacy of colonic irrigation. The reality is of course that faith is a much more important consideration here than simple hard and fast empirical facts.

For many thousands of years people of many different persuasions have believed in the power of thought and positive thinking to overcome mental and physical disabilities

I am of course a practicing Buddhist so my views may be viewed as non mainstream just as Robertos support for nasal irrigation. But that alone does not make them any less vaild.

Cleansing The Body Holistically

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:51 pm

So to explain better than I can here is an extract from a website whose link is copied below:

Q. Are there any additional benefits I might expect from a colonic?

A. Yes, there are several. Working with a skilled therapist a colonic can be a truly enlightening educational process. You will learn to expand your awareness of your body's functioning by including signals from your abdomen, your skin, your face and even from that most taboo of natural products, your elimination's. You will find that you can spot the beginnings of developing conditions through clues from these body regions and functions before they become serious. You can deal with them sooner and more easily than you otherwise might if you waited until they produce effects seen elsewhere in the body. Also, the solar plexus is the emotional centre of the body and the transverse colon passes right through it. If an emotional event is left uncompleted, it often results in physical tension being stored in the solar plexus, which affects all organs of the area, including the colon. This on-going tightening of the colon muscle results in diminished movement of faecal material through the colon, which is experienced as constipation. Not only do colonics alleviate the constipation, they can assist you in creating a fully holistic view of your body's functioning, leading to a better quality of life.

http://www.colonic-association.org/faq.html#enemas

Bogof

Post by Bogof » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:03 pm

Here I was thinking I was the only one pumping saline water up my nose every day! Never seen this thread before, d'oh!

I actually use the Hydro Pulse instead of a neti pot. When I researched the options at the time (2002?) I came across this comparison table: http://www.pharmacy-solutions.com/comparison3.htm

They particularly claim that the pulsating nature of their patented invention is what makes it so great. It is meant to help the body doing its own cleansing rather than doing the cleansing for it, therefore restoring the originial cleansing capacity. The higher investment made me doubt a bit but since getting one I've loved it. I first used emcur salts but later moved to Breathe Easy salts since they come in simple sachets.

More info from the manufacturer here: http://www.pharmacy-solutions.com/hp.htm and a FAQ here: http://www.hydromedonline.com/sinusrelieffaq.html

If I remember correctly, I was able to claim back the VAT.

Ken

Post by Ken » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:16 pm

Just bought a neti-pot last week, it arrived last Saturday, and I think it is great.
http://www.shopneti.co.uk/
Whilst I was waiting for it, I used a teapot, but you need to be very careful that you don't hurt your nostril with the spout, also test that the water isn't too hot. Watch this!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=GTxMYKfd0Yc&feature=related

Roberto

Post by Roberto » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:23 am

Excellent news :) I use the same store and their service is always top notch.

Ken

Post by Ken » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:20 pm

Thanks Robert, yes I agree the store is excellent...I think they are going to make a DVD about using it!
I thought I had it sussed with my home-made saline sprays, but I have to admit, the neti-pot is soooo much better, wish I had bought one years ago!
I went to Tunisia for a fortnight in January, and must have caught a bad cold outward bound on the plane (think they economise on air changes these days, especially on budget airlines). I was forever blowing my nose...As soon as I got home, I ordered one and it was delivered within three days..stainless steel and I have a couple of the cheap plastic jobs for when I am on holiday. Some people seem to think its dangerous, but I think at first, as long as you have your mouth open, for breathing, whilst you are "doing it" and the salt-water is just luke-warm, and you are letting it find its own way around your nasal passages rather than "snooking it up", then it works fine!
Thanks again Ken